Never use your credit cards in...

Getzoooom

Experienced similar situation sometime back with Citibank Card at Shangri-la KL.

Card had purchased over RM 10+K at a Bridal shop, I reckon the wedding will not be "Happy Ever After". Be interesting should they catch the culprit during their ceremony.

Only blessing, I was not married then. Else wife might thought I seeing somebody there.lipsrsealed.gif

↡ Advertisement

no wonder i received mail from one of the banks here informing me cards in malaysia are now embedded with microchip. while mine aren't it says that my card will still be able to use, by just saying that my card is from singapore.

wonder why didnt they standardize?

If I am paying the bill, I should be at least invited for the party.

At least if the B.groom kena tow away and the gorgeous.gif still Poon Pee Pee, I can standby to console her or chance of ONS.lipsrsealed.gif

As long as you self swipe or see them swipe it, it is OK. For instance, petrol purchases. Lots of places got self swipe.

Like to check if anyone having this problem...? I went to pump petrol @ Caltex JB using the Maybank family & friends card ( got 5% cash rebate ) . Insert the card using the outdoor pump , first i notice that i dont have to key in any pin as after inserting the card , the lcd screen shown "Approved" lift pump to refill! After fully filled , i put back the pump into the holder. The receipt came which I topped up RM$58 but when i reached home to check the a/c via ibanking... It shown that I had used RM$200 ( $83 )!!! Called M.Bank and the CS told ne to check with Caltex... :o

My card was cloned when I used it to make payment for hotel on a business trip to Penang. Was lucky that UOB waived the charges when i disputed the charges.

After the incident I stick to using my Maybank card and they will send a sms notification to me especilly if there is a oversea charge.

Please remember to check your statement after a trip especially in Malaysia.

Neutral Newbie

Like to check if anyone having this problem...? I went to pump petrol @ Caltex JB using the Maybank family & friends card ( got 5% cash rebate ) . Insert the card using the outdoor pump , first i notice that i dont have to key in any pin as after inserting the card , the lcd screen shown "Approved" lift pump to refill! After fully filled , i put back the pump into the holder. The receipt came which I topped up RM$58 but when i reached home to check the a/c via ibanking... It shown that I had used RM$200 ( $83 )!!! Called M.Bank and the CS told ne to check with Caltex... :o

Pre-authorization is about 200 MYR these days. It is just a portion of your credit that is locked, or in the case of a debit card, the portion of the actual balance that is locked. It is not the amount used. Nothing special about this. Within a few days, the un-used value will be unlocked. I have never pumped gas at a station in Singapore, but I believe it should be the same, because pre-authorization and capture are very common credit/debit card operations.

Neutral Newbie

I think the Singapore central bank has decided to order Singapore banks to replace all magnetic-stripe credit and debit cards with chip cards by this or next year. For Malaysia, if I am not wrong, this was finished more than six years ago.

I used this card too at a Caltex in JB too. Received a mail from Maybank saying that I clocked a first transaction at 200 when I only used it for 1 transaction. Called the Maybank CSO and she told me that I had 2 transactions totaling to RM200 too when I only pumped RM50+. Told her jokingly that my small 1.6 liter car cannot pump 80+ liters of petrol lah. She said got to wait for 7 days before Caltax bill them and if I still see the extra amount on my statement, I can do a dispute. Waited (hoped they billed me RM200 so I can make a big fuss, typical singaporean lah) for my statement but it only state the amount that I pumped. Next statement also never indicated of that 2nd transaction.

Wait and see if Caltax bill your bank. If so, just call the bank and dispute. Don't worry too much about it.

Cheers :)

I think the Singapore central bank has decided to order Singapore banks to replace all magnetic-stripe credit and debit cards with chip cards by this or next year. For Malaysia, if I am not wrong, this was finished more than six years ago.

So by using the c.c with the chip is safe as long as you dont dropped or lost the card?

Neutral Newbie

So by using the c.c with the chip is safe as long as you dont dropped or lost the card?

When a country has finished the conversion to chip cards, the payment terminals in that country will probably stop doing swiping for local cards. They will do card insertions instead. As cloned cards are typically, or may be always, magnetic-stripe ones, it means if the physical card is not lost, no one is likely to be able to use its clone to buy things locally. Just that the clone can still be used elsewhere, if I am not wrong. If the card details are used on the Internet, then unauthorized use is still possible, whether it is a chip or a magnetic-stripe card, but there are Vbv and SecureCode etc that add protection and shift the liability to the merchant if it does not support the security feature. Vbv and SecureCode will also become compulsory for Singapore-issued cards in the near future, I think.

Edited by Hwt

not to worry. I also had the same issue with my Citibank card. Like the rest of the bros mentioned, they will pre-authorise RM200 first, but this will not be the actual billed amt. After few days the actual amt will be charged to your credit card.

In a way this may be a good thing also, in case u do not replace the pump nozzle properly, if someone else tries to pump, limit capped at RM200 only =P

↡ Advertisement