Unichip

Yr1985

Hi all, need some advice. I intend to install unichip in my Kelisa manual, which already has K&N drop in, hotbit extractor and muffler. What else do you all think I should put in before installing unichip? Thanks in advance! [:)]

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

I'm using the Unichip. Most would say there are gains but I would say the gains aren't that impressive. Compared to Motec M800s ... Autronic ... Links ... You can play around with timings ... AF ... Launch Control ... ALS etc.

Do it right the first time rather than buy a crappy one and having to sell it to buy a better one.

Do note while the best ECU can be purchased, a lousy tuner will turn a $3000 ECU into a piece of plastic that only add on more weight to the car. [;)]

You should put in Turbo before installing Unichip. Thats the best. If you wanna play NA then save that money cos the gains are minimal and not worth Dollar per Horsepower. [shakehead]

turbo no no man...my engine would "sua", btw for NA cars like mine, especially small ones, don't seem to be able to find expertise workshop in sg leh?

Neutral Newbie

Sorry bro, can't recommend any coz I don't reside in SG at the moment. I can recommend some aussie tuners if you can gather something like 10+ people who wanna do Motec.

Motec is a whopping $3.9k AUD Fitted and tuned. About $5k SGD [sweatdrop]

Some impressive gains I've seen and confirmed via dyno with Motec is about 30-60 bhp. [nod]

ECU really depends on what you wish to do with your car. If you wanna stick to catbacks intakes maybe small TC on low boost than maybe Unichip is sufficient. But if your looking to fit large turbos, a change in entire exhaust system etc, than I would recommend you get a relatively good ECU and tuner.

Its expensive yes but ECU is something you want to do it right the 1st time. Whenever possible, try and leave ECU as last mod to do because every other perf mods you fit will require a retune of ECU to make full use of that mod.

tat's where i am stuck, i bought this car thinking i could do endless mods in jb...end up i could never go jb due to some commitments...so back in sg, i could only do whatever is possible and useful ike hotbit extractor and muffler...things like CAI, open pod...no one else noes what to do...most common replies are "SS1 or SS2?" Does "Kelisa" sound too much like "Celica"?? The same old question would be what else I can do with this fish before piggyback ecu?

u shd reali try n do ur car in MY as i believe they hav more aftermarket parts for ur car...bro,like i said...u intend to do heavy mod or mild mods like now u r having???

if mild mods,the new piggy-back wun give u much gain...decide wat u want before going for ue piggy-back...like bro BMW mentioned...u dun wan to tune ur ecu everytime u install new things right???

(edited)
intake manufold aka open pod?

Wat's the function of hi cam/port and polish?

intake manifold is diff from open-pod filter...

its link to ur open pod-filter n also ur fuel injectors...looks like an extractor...

hi-cam gives ur camshaft higher lift with longer duration thus more air can goes in..

port n polish helps for smoother air flow.....etc....there r lotsa things dat u also need to change as well....u might also need a fuel regulator to adjust the pressure with all these mods....

Edited by Turbonetics

Neutral Newbie

hmmm ... I believe mods are endless but it really boils down to whether the mech is knowledgable in your car rather than give you the "can do" spirit and I can gurantee you the end product isn't gonna look nice.

I would recommend you start by finding a kelisa forum perhaps, find out whose done what mod and who did a great job and go from there. That would be the most ideal way for finding out what mods there are and what mods to do and these are the very people who are "so called" Lab rats if you will coz they've installed and are running these mods. [sweatdrop]

I won't recommend piggyback if you are looking to do serious mods. If your looking for mild mods than piggyback would be ideal. But always bear in mind to look for a reputable tuner. If its a lousy tuner, not only will you not get much gains but you will encounter common problems like rough idling, engine stall, engine stall on turning up air con etc.

Just try and leave ECU the last mod if possible.

↡ Advertisement