Autoglym help

Specgt

Neutral Newbie

Hi all guys and gals...

Have had my car for 6 months now, but still not too sure about the proper way of taking care for my black car... I have been using Autoglym SRP for polishing after washing, and used the EGP once for sealant about 3 months ago. However, found some swirl marks on my car recently, and have tried to use Scratch-X to remove the marks. But instead, it make the marks worse, and I have to use the SRP to repolish again to lighten the marks. However the marks are still there..

Question is what should I do now? Is the sealant sealing in the swirl marks, that's why the swirl mark remover doesn't work? Should I use SRP to polish the entire car first, follow by the swirl mark remover to remove the marks, and then SRP to repolish it, followed by the sealant to seal it all in? Really confused. And if I have a layer of the sealant, the next time I wash the car, should I still claybar the car? Use SRP to polish? Or just wash and add another layer of sealant? Will using the SRP remove the sealant that is applied previously? Totally confused right now.. Please help!!! [dizzy] (sorry if I confused anyone with my confusion.... )

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

dont expect miracle. try polishing more times and eventually, those swirl marks will be masked up thumbsup.gif

if you dont mind me recommending other brands, you can try turtle brand swirl mark remover or einszett metallic polish wax. i have used (and am still using 1 of them) both of them and results are satisfactory if not superb.

while you are trying to mask up those swirl marks, take good care when washing the car - dont add on new marks! wash your car with plenty of water and with parallel strokes, best follow the airflow direction.

lastly, also good to manage your expectation a little... dont ever dream of having a totally mark free car... that will nv happen unless your car is a showroom queen wink.gif

try meguiars nxt. will help to eliminate the swirls with regular usage. or try the new autoglym ultra deep shine. claims to hide swirls well.

Neutral Newbie

good advise! if you one cannot get rid of the swirl marks, send for professional grooming service and let them solve the problem. then follow by DIY to maintain... scholar.gif

Neutral Newbie

Well, wanted to, but still, afraid when doing DIY after the professional grooming, will still result with the same thing ley... So want to find out more to prevent history from repeating itself...

Neutral Newbie

swirl marks are caused by dirt trapped in cloth/sponge you use to wash/dry/polish the car. you can minimize swirl marks by washing/drying/polish the car in a all horizontal direction (following direction of airflow). this way, even if you get marks, the marks will not be as visible since all flowing in same direction.

use plenty of water to rinse the car first before you start sponging.

sponge from top to bottom, since bottom is the most dirty part of the car.

constantly rinse the sponge to get rid of dirt trapped in it.

sponge gently wink.gif

when drying/polishing, constantly turn cloth to new/clean section.

you may want to wax often too, since wax will fill up those swirl marks and make them less visible.

lastly, dont expect a mark-free car!!! no matter how careful you are, you will still get swirl marks tongue.gif

Neutral Newbie
(edited)
Hi all guys and gals...

Have had my car for 6 months now, but still not too sure about the proper way of taking care for my black car... I have been using Autoglym SRP for polishing after washing, and used the EGP once for sealant about 3 months ago. However, found some swirl marks on my car recently, and have tried to use Scratch-X to remove the marks. But instead, it make the marks worse, and I have to use the SRP to repolish again to lighten the marks. However the marks are still there..

Question is what should I do now? Is the sealant sealing in the swirl marks, that's why the swirl mark remover doesn't work? Should I use SRP to polish the entire car first, follow by the swirl mark remover to remove the marks, and then SRP to repolish it, followed by the sealant to seal it all in? Really confused. And if I have a layer of the sealant, the next time I wash the car, should I still claybar the car? Use SRP to polish? Or just wash and add another layer of sealant? Will using the SRP remove the sealant that is applied previously? Totally confused right now.. Please help!!! dizzy.gif (sorry if I confused anyone with my confusion.... )

Depending on how bad your swirl marks , you can either fill it with Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine or minimise your swirl marks by buffing your car with Autoglym 02B first before applying UDS.

(post edited by Jazziegirl)

Edited by Jazziegirl

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Message from Jazziegirl to Tockf: Hi hi, please approach our Admin if you would like to be a sponsor, it's quite worth the while actually. nod.gif

Meantime, your post has been edited, thanks for your understanding and do refrain from 'selling' Autoglym further.

Cheers! tongue.gif

Edited by Jazziegirl

Neutral Newbie

and i thought merchants are not allowed to sell or promote their stuff in this forum?

just saw the other thread actually... wink.gif

Neutral Newbie

I apologised for the stuff I have sent. But my intention is to help our existing user. Sorry if I have offended anyone. [lipsrsealed]

Well, wanted to, but still, afraid when doing DIY after the professional grooming, will still result with the same thing ley... So want to find out more to prevent history from repeating itself...

Hey man... unless you dun mind spending money constantly to detail your car every week, I strongly suggest you read up and learn more about your issues with detailing. Even if you do professional grooming, when you start to DIY on urself, if you've been using the wrong methods, history will repeat itself.

Read up and learn as much as possible. Try this, try that... experiment. Ask the brothers around here. I also drive a black car. You can nvr totally remove swirl marks. i can reduce them to a minimum but nvr totally eliminate it. Unless it's a show car and I nvr drive it. Lol... Be reasonable in your expectations. Have patience... I'm sure you can succeed.

I just started about a month and i'm still learning. All the best =)