Making the wood grain panels glossy

Papercup

Hi people,

I am driving a Optra and got wood grain panels in the cabin. The thing is that the panels are not those glossy one that you can find in cars like the Lancer or Altis. Instead it have a very dull, non glossy finish.

Anyone know how can I make the panels glossy?

↡ Advertisement

possibly, if you can remove the wood panels, you could try PYLOX clear spray paint. Ive used that to add gloss to wood and other stuff before. But you should remember to apply many thin layers and not just one thick one cos it could then come out looking horrible.

Neutral Newbie

Bro, you can try Cubic Printing..... but you sure you want it to look glossy? The older Optras have it glossy, but when I saw it, I'm glad mine's matt!

Neutral Newbie

papercup,

i managed to polish the wood inside my optra using plastic polish... bought from stamford tyres... no need to remove the panels to do it....

Edited by Bigfoot

Cubic printing? Is it like adding a lamination onto the panel? I know from my SE that the older Optra aren't "real" wood grain look panels. Actually was done thru cubic printing.

I got to say it can add a bit of "class" to the cabin leh [:p]

When those Camry or Corolla stop beside my car, I always look at those glossy panel with some envy [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Uh..... actually our wood grain panels ain't "real" either, just that the older version has a glossy look while the current ones are matt (which I prefer!). I personally think the glossy ones make it look even more artificial. Then again, it's personal prefence here...... many can't even stand the sight of "wood" panels.

I think all our panels are done through similar cubic printing techniques.

Neutral Newbie

very easy to apply... made my wood colour look much richer... look much more class, like jaguar/rover... haha...

its some jap brand.. the english only words on it are PLASTIC CLEANER... comes in a white toothpaste like tube. You can try to use some other polish, but must test to see if colour comes off onto cloth...

erm...shiny fake wood nice meh?

fake wood is obiang. Shining fake wood is even worse......toyota lurve those fake wood, i guess. Even toyota crown has fake wood all around the cabin.

Yucks

becos the pattern is printed, polishing over time will gradually thin down the layer. so don't over do it or some parts may show up the plastic beneath after some time ...