100% cotton vs. microfibre

Tea3

If the cotton cloth is flat, it can be very unforgiving as it'll keep the dust/dirt at the surface, imagine rubbing sand/dirt onto the paint ,me afraid [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

ps: I read zaino users always recommend cotton, so I'm not sure if there are cotton towels that are plush i.e. the dirt is drawn in and away from the surface when buffing, so are there plush cotton towels? I never seen before [cool]

Neutral Newbie

Yes, zaino staffs recommended me to use 100% cotton instead of micro fibre type for drying (not sure about when buffing!). Best is to wash it throughly to remove any dirts then dry it using 100% cotton (ideally under cover or car park & not windy place to avoid any dust. I bought a packet of 100% cotton (10 small piece)..Japanese packaging at Autobak for around $10 i think. Got only a few packet left last weekend but was told the store will be getting more a few weeks time.

Have not try micro fibre type...also bought at Autobak the Maquire around $20-25. Will try this weekend & let you know the results.

[;)]

Neutral Newbie

Tried the 3M microfibre. Felt it becoming rougher as time went by. So didn't feel comfortable using it. Not only does Zaino staff recommend using 100% cotton, so does the instructions on Autoglym Resin Polish. Sal Zaino actually mentions about cotton towels in his website.

Tried the 3M microfibre. Felt it becoming rougher as time went by. So didn't feel comfortable using it. Not only does Zaino staff recommend using 100% cotton, so does the instructions on Autoglym Resin Polish. Sal Zaino actually mentions about cotton towels in his website.

try rubbing cotton cloths/towels against the plastic see-thru case tat house ur speedo/odometer...tell me wat u see sweatdrop.gif

Neutral Newbie

First, I have to get 100% towel. Hard to find. Read somewhere that labels may state "100% cotton" but the material used to bind them is polyester or something other than cotton.

Aiya, tell me what's your point lah. If not, have to wait long long before I know what you are getting at.

laugh.gif.. go get MF cloth and u'll know the diff.

simple, those soft-felt cloths tat are used for wiping costly camera lens, spectacles & golf clubs are made of microfiber... not cotton...tongue.gif

Neutral Newbie

So is it correct to conclude that microfibre is gd for windscreen, lens, clear plastic ?

Or that 100% cotton gd for painted surfaces?

What about other non-paint surfaces such as plastic, wood, metal, esp interior?

I myself swear by using microfibre to dry exterior, have used it for years ;)

There are different grades of mfs, usually you get what you pay for. I like those very plush ones with no tags, use them regularly to qd my dusty car/ after rain..good stuff no scratches [scholar]

Neutral Newbie

Do u know u got yours from?

Silly ol' me, i gotten mine from some US site eons ago, and i can't remember where. The cloth is so gd tat it has no tags, so i dun even know where it came from [crazy]

trying to get some new ones...

generally speaking, microfiber cloths are good for auto-detailing usage...However, how each cloth is weaved will determine what best it can achieve: be it for buffing, drying, or something else...

e.g, the revoluntionary 'dri-fit' material by NIKE is also a combi of polyester & cotton.. but it is the special weaving process tat makes it absorbs faster, & evaporates faster.tongue.gif

Neutral Newbie
you are looking for something to dry the car? I find synthetic chamois very good..

Yes, I am still using the autoglym chamois.

Do u know u got yours from?

I have tried from many companies in the States but I like this the best,

Adam?s Microfiber Polishing Towel from http://www.adamspolishes.com/ . You probably can ask the boss Adam to send it to you thru vpostUSA. Btw one more thing, ask for the yellow MF towel with the black stitches, that's the one I got.