Correct gap for Splitfire spark plug - Altis 1.6

Sil96verman

All sifu out there. Do anyone know what is the correct Splitfire Triple Platinum spark plug gap width for Altis 1.6. Thanking in advance.....

FYI I didnt buy from the distributor (Autodesign), asked a friend to buy from USA. Cheaper but dont know the original gap width is correct or not.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Standard plug has to be gapped correctly to ionise effectively at certain voltage. But performance plug ionise at lower voltage, hence, its gap should not cause any problem with most NA cars.

Even if you want to re-gap performance plugs, probably will damage its fine eletrode or upset the balanced gap among multi-electrode to ground. You don't usually re-gap them.

Like Hattee said. Cannot anyhow re-gap the plugs as most plugs are already gapped specifically for your engine if you follow the manual. Gapping plugs actually belongs to the realm of the hardcore tuner in race preparations.

Tell you what. Most spark plug mfr websites have cross-referencing charts or searches. Find out the plug your car uses. Usually I believe it is either an NGK number or Denso number. Cross reference it at the Splitfire website.

Neutral Newbie

I think now most cars use 1.1mm gap. I'm now running 1.3mm on a set of Denso Iridium without any problem, but then again, I seldom do hi-rev or full throttle. If you do these 2 things often, u shd set it at the recommended gap or slightly below, for more consistent firing at hi revs or dense air/fuel mixture situations.

Gap setting depends on the coil or ignitor's kilovolt output. The std output is about 25kv and by the time it reaches the plug( due to spark plug cable resistance) the high voltage available maybe about 18kv. If you replace the OEM stock coil with aftermaket high energy coil ,you also need to replace the stock spark plug cables with performance types such as silicon cables that can within stand high KV passing through without overheating. In turns you have to set the plug gap much wider than the std setting so as to allow the high KV to perform a better sparking.

Neutral Newbie

Yeah, that's what my friend who was using an Accel coil told me, that he could use a very big gap for better performance.

Any ideas how much the Accel coil is selling for?

Gap setting depends on the coil or ignitor's kilovolt output. The std output is about 25kv and by the time it reaches the plug( due to spark plug cable resistance) the high voltage available maybe about 18kv. If you replace the OEM stock coil with aftermaket high energy coil ,you also need to replace the stock spark plug cables with performance types such as silicon cables that can within stand high KV passing through without overheating. In turns you have to set the plug gap much wider than the std setting so as to allow the high KV to perform a better sparking.

does changing stock coil and cables does it help in Fc?

i thought the stock is always the best [lipsrsealed]

i thought the stock is always the best lipsrsealed.gif

it depends on the make of the car, to what I know Alfa stock plug cables are actually racing plug cables from Bosch sly.gifsly.gifsly.gif

All sifu out there. Do anyone know what is the correct Splitfire Triple Platinum spark plug gap width for Altis 1.6. Thanking in advance.....

FYI I didnt buy from the distributor (Autodesign), asked a friend to buy from USA. Cheaper but dont know the original gap width is correct or not.

your Altis stock gap size should be 1.1mm nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif

well, agree on this but most jap cars are now using coil over plugs, so the lost is much more lesser than the previous design of iginition pack with plug cables nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif

Neutral Newbie

so as long as the gap size is right.....any plugs oso can use???

btw, mine is 1.5L Aveo. gap size is 0.7-0.8. can last 10-20k.... what do u suggest,bro?

Edited by Ah_veo

I was wondering if you use one of those thick grounding wires to replace the stock 12v rail to the distributor on coil, will there be any benefits?

I know it might not be feasible but juz curious.

↡ Advertisement