Oily shaft

Andrewkb

Neutral Newbie

This shaft is the intermediate shaft connecting from the auto gearbox to the main drive shaft and appears a bit oily.

I cleaned it and after driving, it's oily again.

There is no drop in the ATF level (changed 8000km ago).

Any idea if I should get it checked ?

post-8-1098149937_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

how many km did you have to clean each time ?

you could use a white tissue to wipe it and see what colour is the oil...if ATF , then maybe it'll be reddish in colour.

Else it'll be brown or yellow.. possibly engine oil. unsure.gif

Neutral Newbie

I never clean it before. Just that day, saw the place quite dirty and it's connected to the main gearbox assembly.

So took a few paper and clean it. Since it had never been cleaned for the past ~70,000km, it was black. So after cleaning, checked a few days later, this is what you see.

No leakage visible anywhere so far....

Neutral Newbie

could be evaporated oils from the roads that become attached to the shaft as you travelled.

I think that when you wipe it, as long as you don't absorb a huge pool of oil, then there's nothing to worry about.

Maybe for that peace of mind, you could go to your mech and have the car raised up to inspect for leaks.

Neutral Newbie

Bro, since your ATF no drop in level, check your "Powering steering" fluid ... see if level drop

If your power steering rack is just above the drive shaft, it could be oil from a leaking steering rack (this one common in older car ... always leak one). Or maybe you want to take a visual look at the steering rack to see if any sign of oil.

You may have suffered a small engine gasket or oil sump gasket leak at the base of your engine/sump. Or some gearbox housing seal has worn out. These are leaks that cannot be detected by looking from a top perspective.

Travelling at high speeds over time, the gush of air blows the leak against the shaft, smearing it in the process.

Still, best you have it jacked up for a clearer investigation.

nod.gif

Edited by Armored_Saint

Neutral Newbie

Hi all,

Got it checked during my oil change last weekend.

Apparently, that area is below the oil filter and the mech didn't wipe it clean the last time.

Had it cleaned up (myself while waiting) and most part of the undercarriage is nice and clean [thumbsup] *Yeah, as if it matters, but definitely help troubleshooting if the needs arise*

Neutral Newbie

Sigh ... the oil filter was previously tightened so securely that the mech can't remove it.

I actually took a photo of the badly damaged filter, will post later.

He tried using:

1) Oil filter "cover"

2) The 2nd type of oil filter "wrench"

3) Clamp

4) Finally, using screw driver and hammer to knock it loose

Will post some pic later if I can get a CF reader.

Oil filter supposed to be hand tighten when installing only.

There is a rubber gasket on the oil filter to be applied with some oil then install it.

Ur previous mechanic might have used an oil filter wrench to tighten it when installing!!! [thumbsdown][thumbsdown][thumbsdown]

Very bad engineering practice!!!! [furious][furious][furious]

Neutral Newbie

I did a search on the web and it seems to be quite a "common" problem !

In fact, some website even recommend loosen a bit after going to a service center !! Coz the tends to overtighten it !

From what I read, the "recommended" approach is:

1) Piece a screwdriver/rod across the filter and twist it open

2) Use a hammer to hit the side of the oil filter and that should loosen it a bit.

3) Use a tooth clamp to pierce thru the filter and twist it open

The mech was pretty patience and use a screwdriver and hammer to slowly knock it counterclose wise till it's loose enuff to open it with the clamp.

↡ Advertisement