ADM Aircharger

Myths

Neutral Newbie

Hi, anyone has installed the ADM Aircharger? I am thinking of getting one but not very sure how it works. To my understanding, it is blowing air into the engine which will result in more power?? Will it void the warranty as well?

Anyone care to enlighten me? Thanks in advance.

↡ Advertisement

The engine is a giant pump by itself. It will pull in air. How in anyway a small electric fan; let me make the emphasis electric fan; blow in more air than what the engine can suck?

Neutral Newbie

Hi Genie47, thanks for the feedback. Any other advices from you to boost the power as the pickup for the Matrix is quite sluggish. In this case, I am thinking of doing the CAI, K&N Airfilter, the sparkplug and the cable. What do you think?

CAI is tricky. The intake pipe should be around the same size as your current one. Any engine less than 1.8L should not use an intake tube of 3". For a 1.6L, should be 2 to 2.5".

Sparkplugs don't improve your pickup but your idling if you got nice fresh ones. Ditto for the cables. Any improvement to the ignition system actually improves your idling. This goes for MSD control boxes as well.

Neutral Newbie

Ok but what do you suggest that I should do to make the engine more responsive? I will take note of the pipe when I go for the CAI. Thanks.

sluggish in what sense?

if u r doing open pod/ CAI, u will suffer on the low torque for sure, and noise, noise and more noise.

but on the high torque, u will feel more air n speed.

spark plugs - better spark plugs overcome the problem of conventional plugs which hv aged and increased % of misfiring. better plugs narrows and limit misfiring but again, den expect miracles.

solutions:

1/ pare weight. paring weight will reduce the starting torque, as matrix is rather heavy.

2/ firmer tyres. check manufacturer's specs and add another 5-10% over the recommended pressure. always check regularly.

3/ downsizing rims. smaller rims will result in better torque. check out the corollas, they come stock 14" only.

4/ heavy mod. lighten pulley. this reduces loss fr the torque convertor.

5/ cooler engine. cooler engine performs better than hot engine. to solve this, go for better coolant (like redline water wetter/ nos super coolant additives) and better engine oil esp Group IV (fully ester type) like chemlube.

6/ aircon cutoff. some devices offers auto aircon cutoff when u rev the engine. as u know aircon can take betw 15-20% of the engine power.

Neutral Newbie

Ok, thanks for all the advice given. I am currently using the 14" rims so it is fine. The sluggishness is when we move off, sometimes I feel that I am hogging the traffic but of course I maintained at around 2000 to 3000rpm. [sweatdrop]

Will consider all the points before I make any decision, the objective is to have a lively engine, FC is not main issue.

if u r doing open pod/ CAI, u will suffer on the low torque for sure, and noise, noise and more noise.

If he sticks to the original 2-2.5" intake tube, the low torque is still maintained. Most people always thing bigger is better so they stick in a big 3" tube which actually works better for 1.8L and above or turbocharge applications.

Noise? Sure there is for an SRI but for a real CAI with a long tube running to somewhere where cold air can be brought in, noise is lower.

Edited by Genie47

Neutral Newbie

I'm not the technical man so it is tough to DIY. Managed to find a few places and they are charging a standard of $60 for the CAI, not sure about the tube, got to check with them. How about K&N?