Engine sump drain plug

Adrianli

Juz serviced my old car, '89 Civic GL.

Mechanic told me my engine sump drain plug internal screw thread no good already, thus always have oil drips. I told him to fix it but he said its a big job. Have to get new oil sump, then remove old sump and fix it back. Sounds easy??? There are a few items in way of the sump so its not going to be easy. Also will cost quite a lot to get new oil sump, gasket and drain plug.

Anyone got any workshop who can re-tap the screw thread in situ and then machine a new drain plug for it???

I know this can be done, but must find the correct workshop.

Please help my car is dripping wherever I go. I scare later 1 day the thread no more then the whole drain plug drop out, that will be in deep sh!t. [jawdrop][jawdrop][jawdrop]

↡ Advertisement

I used to own a '89 GL too. My mech has fabricated quite a lot of things for my engine [:p] so might be able to help you. Drop him a line, 67437111 Ah Seng, Everseen Motor at Ubi.

Edited by Wankie

Can I juz drive there and ask him to have a look???

Is his service reasonable pricing????

Saturday he open???

Edited by Adrianli

Neutral Newbie

DOn't worry..

THe problem is with the screw.

What you need to do is go down to Waterloo Centre, there is a Honda Distribution agent.. (cannot remember name), on the ground floor facing St Anthony. Get the screw from them with your car model, make and year.

Actually, all these screws can be found in Hardware shop is you know the dimnension.

Before you use it, put gasket or a washer round the screw..

It is just a screw, nothing rocket science..

It cost about $10...

Your oil won't drip like a bloody mass... just monitor it at end of each day will do.

Engine oil will evaporate.. so nothing to be worrying of.

Guys,

He tighten the drain plug for me to see. Coz I told him to change the drain plug for me but he showed me that its the internal screw thread that is worn off already. Anyway he does not have the capability to change the sump if he wants to.

If I were to change the drain plug myself, how to salvage the oil inside??? My mechanic juz changed the oil for me 3 days ago.

Need a good mechanic to have a look at my engine.

Don't see why not.. He's not the kind to chop carrot headlah, if thats what you're asking, can always ask him for the cost 1st before doing anything [:p] Ya, he's open Saturdays.

Here's the addr :

Everseen Auto Services

Blk 3022A Ubi Rd 1

#01-49

Hi

Got it done already at the workshop you recommended.

He removed old drain plug, drain oil to container, re-tap the internal screw thread and replace with new drain plug. Replace oil into engine and did a thorough wash down of the engine bay. Ran the engine and let me inspect the drain plug again to ensure no leakage. His comment was the person who did the servicing for me overtightened the drain plug, therefore the internal screw thread damaged.

Nice job done. [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

Total cost S$45.

2 weeks since the visit and not a single oil leak since.

Edited by Adrianli

Neutral Newbie

good to hear yr problem is fixed.

However, now that the internal thread has been re-tapped, it means that your drain plug is now wider in diameter.

You might want to consider getting a spare one just incase another mech decides to flex his Arnie muscles and over tighten the plug again.

The OD of the sump drain hole did not get bigger in diameter. The problem is cross thread , so what happen is the mechanics us a pipe size thread chaser to get the thread in-line that all. The thread fix maybe be a bit slack therefore it is best to use thread seal to improve the friction holding the drain bolt.

Edited by Yeobh

If every forumer comes back to report on the fix, everyone will get more knowledgeable and that should be the way. But at present moment hardly they report back, some log in to request for help & info and then disappear into thin air, not even a word of appreciation.

What do you regular forumers think ?

Hi

I think thatz what all forumers should do.

Then everyone will not need to ask for advice for the same problem again.

Cheers man. [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement