Engine sump drain plug

Adrianli

ic....lucky mine done by experienced mech...u missed ur old ride bro? i remember u wanted to go muar with us then..

↡ Advertisement

Yup, really miss my old ride.

Now driving sunny auto. Not as fun as civic manual. [lipsrsealed]

Moreover old car can really learn a lot as there r many wear n tear. [thumbsup]

indeed..i learnt alot abt my car...changed alot of stuff..due wear and tear but all cheap cheap..unlike new ride...

then u shd buy old ride..sly.gif

A simple solution to oil sump drain leaking ( due to cross thread) is to use a oversize plug. Oil sump repair kit usually comes with few spare oversize drain plug and washers and a oversize thread tap. Attached information taken from toolmaker website for your perusal

Example :

Oil Sump Drain Repair Kit M13 x 1.25

• For use on M12 sumps where the thread has been stripped.
  • The tap should be used one size larger than the original plug.
  • Contains one M13 x 1.25 tap, 6 drain plugs, 12 copper washers.
  • Suitable for most Toyota and Nissan cars

In future if you have a leaking oil sump drain , you can educate your mechanic on the this time saving and cheap method to solve the problem - there is NO need to replace the whole oil sump or dismantle the sump for hot welding.

post-272-0-73213200-1472647436_thumb.jpg

post-272-0-95946600-1472648166.jpg

Edited by Yeobh

Hi

Got it done already at the workshop you recommended.

He removed old drain plug, drain oil to container, re-tap the internal screw thread and replace with new drain plug. Replace oil into engine and did a thorough wash down of the engine bay. Ran the engine and let me inspect the drain plug again to ensure no leakage. His comment was the person who did the servicing for me overtightened the drain plug, therefore the internal screw thread damaged.

Nice job done. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Total cost S$45.

2 weeks since the visit and not a single oil leak since.

• Praise 2

A simple solution to oil sump drain leaking ( due to cross thread) is to use a oversize plug. Oil sump repair kit usually comes with few spare oversize drain plug and washers and a oversize thread tap. Attached information taken from toolmaker website for your perusal

Example :

Oil Sump Drain Repair Kit M13 x 1.25

• For use on M12 sumps where the thread has been stripped.
  • The tap should be used one size larger than the original plug.
  • Contains one M13 x 1.25 tap, 6 drain plugs, 12 copper washers.
  • Suitable for most Toyota and Nissan cars

In future if you have a leaking oil sump drain , you can educate your mechanic on the this time saving and cheap method to solve the problem - there is NO need to replace the whole oil sump or dismantle the sump for hot welding.

Erm...different cars will have different size. Your example is M12 x 1.25pitch. There are cars which are for example M14 x 1.5pitch.

So it's important to find out what size before buying a thread repair kit. You can buy a thread repair kit at any hardware shops selling bolts and nuts.

Alternatively you may want to replace the oil drain plug with a Fumoto valve or Fumoto oil drain plug.

Fumoto-Valve-480.jpg

You can even diy your oil change with this plug. Again check your car's size before buying.

http://www.fumotousa.com/

You got to get it online.

Edited by Watwheels

Over tightening the drain plug will cause the threads to be stripped but not cross. Cross thread is caused by presence of dirts, carbon , metal filings & etc  in the threads that directly cause mis-alignement of the drain plug resulting in the plug thread cutting into the oil drain thread hole.

Cross thread can be prevented merely by using a thread chaser to remove all the foreign matters.

Hope this help.

Thomas Falater - I use a topsider oil vacuum to change the oil on my car. I don't have to crawl underneath or unscrew the drain plug. And studies have shown that a topsider removes more old oil than simply removing the drain plug. Just look up 'topsider oil changer'. It's much easier.  You won't have problems striping the screw anymore. Thomas Falater

I use oil extractor to change engine oil on my current car, which is designed to change oil in this way.

However, when I tried on my friend's car which is not designed to change oil using the extraction way, I can only get 70% of the oil from the sump.

I use oil extractor to change engine oil on my current car, which is designed to change oil in this way.

However, when I tried on my friend's car which is not designed to change oil using the extraction way, I can only get 70% of the oil from the sump.

Can you share what brand of extractor you are using?

Off topic, but 12 years ago adrianli was driving an old 89 civic. Now is an Audi A6 avant. Congrats.

Threads can be repaired with helicoil inserts.

My van oil plug thread is broken, caused by many exuberant mechanics.

Now, I just finger tight, with really light force.

It doesn't leak much, still ok, maybe a drip every now and then.

Characteristics of MY mechanics, always tighten until....

I had my oil filter studs stripped and broke before. Thanks to their brute strength.

Threads can be repaired with helicoil inserts.

My van oil plug thread is broken, caused by many exuberant mechanics.

Now, I just finger tight, with really light force.

It doesn't leak much, still ok, maybe a drip every now and then.

Mytivac MV7201

I have the same, but it doesn't work well for every car.

Some oil sumps impede the hose halfway down.

Now, I just find it simpler to jack up the car, open the oil plug and dump the oil into a container, the traditional way.

Characteristics of MY mechanics, always tighten until....

I had my oil filter studs stripped and broke before. Thanks to their brute strength.

Yeap, another one that's often over-tightened is the oil filter.

I only hand tightened.

It doesn't drip oil or come loose, bcuz the o-ring and pressure will keep the oil filter tight.

The worst I heard is some mechanics using air-powered wrench to tighten spark plugs.

That is going to break the plugs and create a mess.

I have the same, but it doesn't work well for every car.

Some oil sumps impede the hose halfway down.

Now, I just find it simpler to jack up the car, open the oil plug and dump the oil into a container, the traditional way.

Yeap, another one that's often over-tightened is the oil filter.

I only hand tightened.

It doesn't drip oil or come loose, bcuz the o-ring and pressure will keep the oil filter tight.

The worst I heard is some mechanics using air-powered wrench to tighten spark plugs.

That is going to break the plugs and create a mess.

my current car oil filter also accessible from the top of the engine bay, oil change and filter change can be done more gracefully and fast now, no need to raise the car and lie on the floor anymore.

my current car oil filter also accessible from the top of the engine bay, oil change and filter change can be done more gracefully and fast now, no need to raise the car and lie on the floor anymore.

Great. easy way to change oil and oil filter. [thumbsup]

I just hate to pump that thing.  [:p]

↡ Advertisement