Parallel Importers?? How do they work?? PLs Help Thks

Mexalite

Neutral Newbie

Ya hi all. Need some help from you all.

Is it possible to parallel import new cars for urself?? By the way how n why do parallel importers import cars n why it is cheaper than the authorised dealer??

Wheres their margin?? How do they do their biz competing with likes of kah motors etc. These so called authorised dealers also order their cars from japan LIKE the normal dealers?? Can we import ourselves?? Is it rite that if i got my own financing, own insurance, own workshop who willing to cover my car, i could actually import new cars myselves.

Any idea where do the car dealers companies in ubi, kah motors etc actually order their cars from?? Would like to import my own vehicles from Japan.

thks for your help!!

Rookie

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

sorrie where exactly in the website??

Ya planning to do p/l import. Thks. Pls help if anyone had the experience of importin cars by themselves directly from the car makers.

Heard that must go through lots of paper work... Why not get the companies to do it for you? Costs more but can save all the trouble...

Basically.... it can be done.... roughly it's like that...

u'll need to know what are the approvals which u'll need...

the kind of guidelines.... how the freight forwarding does it...

make sure the insurance is settled for sending the car over .....

make sure the other side send the right car... right model....

the dealer there will wanna u to send the $$ over 1st....

and then u'll wanna them to send the car over 1st....

cos if not u scared u send the $$ and get no car...

and they scared they send the car and get no $$....

if along the way... the car is damaged while in transporting...

then u'll need to send the car back to them to claim on their insurance....

and if their insurance were to claim from the shipping company....

then the insurance company from the shipping company will dilly-dally....

ask for this prove... that prove... must show this.... and show that... etc..

So finally everything settled liao.... and maybe u'll get back your $$... maybe not... or partially... u'll just need to repeat the above procedures again..... hoping that your car will reach safely... and all the necessary approvals are done.

Conclusion is... if u are able to just do for one car... u can be a PI and get car in liao... as long as u got the $$ to play with.... so those PIs out there are earning the $$ as like an agent.. if u take from them.... u pay $$ and demand car.. that's all... but if u wanna experience it to save some $$... u decide whether is it worth it or not?

Just my 1.5cents.... [nod]

Neutral Newbie

Hello everyone, :-)

I am new here and I can't post a new threat.

Parallel Import VS Getting from Agent:

1. Which will you buy from?

2. Why?

3. Are they the same in specification and accessories?

4. Any good/bad experience to share?

Thinking of getting from Importer because of the prize cheaper, but think of it.. not sure it is worth or not.

Please comments.

Thanks! [drivingcar]

Is it true that only a limited number of insurance companies will insure PIed cars? And if so, is it more expensive compared to equivalent "agent" cars?

There is a lot of paper work and hidden cost to do PI. Everything have to be paid in cash first. If you PI your own car, and while unloading from the ship, they crash. The driver is not responsible for the damage. It's between you and the shipping company to settle. You would need to go to japan and find the exporters who is willing to export the car to you also.

Good luck in PIing.

Neutral Newbie

i think PI's charges are slightly cheaper becos the cars that they bring in are slightly different from our car dealers, for example:

PI's Suzuki Swift = 1.3l vs Champion's Swift = 1.5l

PI's New Rav4=2WD model vs Borneo's=4WD

Both PI and Car dealers buy from the same people in Japan, its just a matter of which models.

Also, PIs spend less on advertising, staffing.

So all these account for the slight price difference. If you notice, PIs are also the ones who bring in the performance cars before the dealer had guts to bring it in: namely the mitsubishi evo 8.

If you really like a particular model, ask PIs first. Its very troublesome for you to DIY cos the car has to go thru loads of paperwork and not to forget inspection and approval from LTA.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Neutral Newbie
Both PI and Car dealers buy from the same people in Japan, its just a matter of which models

Ehh....may not be true here.

Authorised agent (ie. KAH, CnC, Regent etc.) ordered directly from manufacturer (Honda, VW, Ford etc.)

However, PI order through some "buying house" from Japan.

Normally, this buying house will have their own order from their source, de-register the "new" vehicle a few days after they got it, and re-export to their "buyers" (ie PI) to respective countries.

So that's how we got those JDM models here earlier........ sort of a "new" 2nd vehicle ... hah hah smash.gif

PIs may not be bringing in cars directly from the car makers, but through their own network from the country of origin. Our local dealer will try their best to 'poloso' their principle to not deal with PIs from Singapore (protect their own interests here). Of course the way around is for our PIs to get e.g. a JDM agent to get the new stock, deregister within a few days (I think LTA allows 3 days), then export them to us as new cars.

So also need to have contacts & lobangs from the country of origin to DIY.

↡ Advertisement