Airflow/skid plate under car???

Super7

Turbocharged

F1 or some other race cars have smooth light-weight plate fitted to the bottom of the car body to make the airflow underneath the car smooth and reduce drags.....

has any one installed such a plate under he's car yet??? the plate may also give some kind of protection against damages which may be caused flying stones etc....

many thanks

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
F1 or some other race cars have smooth light-weight plate fitted to the bottom of the car body to make the airflow underneath the car smooth and reduce drags.....

has any one installed such a plate under he's car yet??? the plate may also give some kind of protection against damages which may be caused flying stones etc....

many thanks

I think the reason is more to increase downforce rather than drag.

You need to construct a flat plate (from lightweight material like carbon fibre, fibreglass etc) from the front all the way to the back. This helps to smoothen and speed up the air flow underneath your car, to create an area of low pressure, which helps to increase downforce.

However, I doubt it will work on your car becos no matter how low you go, there's still an appreciable ground clearence. Don't think air can be squeezed sufficiently fast to have a significant downforce. We are talking in terms of mm here, not inches. [sweatdrop]

Turbocharged

yes, like you have pointed out, for normal showroom cars which we are driving, the plate will never be able to create the negative pressure to keep the cars stick to the ground as in F1 cars, the only advantage is to reduce drags on the under-carriage, which is what i am talking about..... 'no fish, shrimps also can lah'...... thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Turbocharged
think the airtrek has an option too.... but more for protection than aerodynamics...

got ah??... go where can see?? thanks smile.gifthumbsup.gif