Headlight light beam angle adjustment.

Dptm

Neutral Newbie

can the headlight beam angle be adjusted (lower or higher), as i noticed mine is "shooting" very low to the ground.

noticed there is a screw, with teeths around its edge, on the headlight unit, is this for adjusting the angle?

btw, i'm driving a AE111.

thanks.

↡ Advertisement

I believe the adjustment are for light alignment and to a certain extent u can adjust the height. To adjust, select high beam and park your car facing the wall a distance about 10 feet to 1 car length, measure the height of your car headlight from the ground and the height from the base of the wall should be same or lower when the light shine on it. Higher mean your are shinning the front driver on high beam.

However, some car like the skoda fabia, the height can be adjusted from the driver seat to compensate the different load on the rear.

Edited by Sky8807

There should be an adjustment screw or two behind the headlamp housing. That should adjust high/low or side to side.

Most cars should have at least high/low adjustment.

Sky has explained how to adjust so I'll not elaborate further. [;)]

Neutral Newbie

hi guys

thanks for the procedures on adjusting high/low of the light beam.

what about the procedures for side to side adjustment?

was adjusting the high/low but end up adjusting the wrong screw (the side to side) and seems like (maybe pyschological) the width of the light beam is out!

Some car have 3 screws and some 2 adjusting screws. Normally they are located adjacent to each other.

When adjusting the height, u may also shift the side and if too much adjustment done then it appear to be slightly out a bit sideway.

U can compensate it by adjusting on the opp side screw to bring back to centre, but just to let u know the amount of adjustment is limited.

A trial and error method is employed for this adjustment, and there are limitation, so don't expect a full range of adjustment.

The best u can do is to get the best compromise with the limited range permissible. Good luck. [:)]

Neutral Newbie
I believe the adjustment are for light alignment and to a certain extent u can adjust the height. To adjust, select high beam and park your car facing the wall a distance about 10 feet to 1 car length, measure the height of your car headlight from the ground and the height from the base of the wall should be same or lower when the light shine on it. Higher mean your are shinning the front driver on high beam.

However, some car like the skoda fabia, the height can be adjusted from the driver seat to compensate the different load on the rear.

Sky8807,

if i'm doing the adjustment in the night, do i need to high beam?

i noticed that if it is at normal, i can see the bright spot of the light bulb reflected on the wall.

as for high beam, this spots do not appear.

for the measurement on the wall, should i take the highest tip of the light beam or the bright spot reflected by the light bulb as the top?

for the car side, it should be the level of the lightbulb, right?

please pardon my ignorance.

Hi! there, Dptm,

What I normally do is to cover one of the headlamp, with cloth, newspaper or carton box placed in front. That way, find the brightest spot on the wall, mark it. Decide where the spot of light is going next, during adjustment, if it goes the wrong way, turn the screws the other way. There's no need to use high beam, as most of the time you're on low, the light should shine at the car in front, (1 car length) just above bumper height.

Rgds

Paul Yong

I've came across this informative site, there's a page that shows how to adjust headlight beam. Check it out at http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/..._adjustment.htm

can the headlight beam angle be adjusted (lower or higher), as i noticed mine is "shooting" very low to the ground.

noticed there is a screw, with teeths around its edge, on the headlight unit, is this for adjusting the angle?

btw, i'm driving a AE111.

thanks.

Neutral Newbie

no need, i draw a line to measure and guide me, can turn head around [:p]

but now if carry 5 person, with boot full load.. my beam angles abit up [laugh]

but drive in .my, can see very far [sly]

hmm.. i seldom drive with full load anyway [;)]

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

hehe, i park about a metre from the wall, measure the height from the floor to my light bulb, measure on the wall, draw a marking 3 inch below the height of my light bulb. not sure correct or not, but when i drive, i observe my light beam is pretty straight, with a slight dip. [;)]

i focus the most intense spot to the marking

Edited by Cyberet

Since we are at the topic of Headlight light beam angle adjustment...

Is there any legal requirements for the angle of headlight?

I think some drivers adjusted the angle until it's shining straight at the car in front. Quite dangerous for the driver in front. [shakehead]

Hee... then you passed your inspection?

Coz you mention in this thread that your beam is on the high side. [:p]

still pass ... just that when i shine the beam on the wall, can see brightess spot from the right beam is higher then the left (when i'm in the car), but when i got out of the car, seem like in-line lor [confused]

↡ Advertisement