Metal clicking sound at wheels, what's that?

Panda

Neutral Newbie

Hi people,

There's a metal clicking sound at my left front wheel whenever I,

1. Turn my steering.

2. When the wheel rolls.

3. Even when stationary, I apply pressure to rock the car a little.

4. Or pull and tug at the wheels sideways.

The sound is really quite soft. It's like 2 small coins clinking and knocking each other. It's been there for quite a while and recently its grown much louder. [:p]

I really don't care as long as there'll be no permanent damage, or my entire assembly under the left fender doesn't fall apart while I'm driving... but... will it? [dizzy][dead]

Erm... help help! [sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Hi Armored_Saint,

It doesn't seem like the suspension component as without depression, the sound can be replicated. All I have to do is squat beside the wheel, bury my fingers onto the thread of the tyres and tug and pull gently.

Neither does it look like its coming from the steering linkages. Last time I had the car jacked up (a week ago), I pulled and tugged at the linkages and there was no sign of free play or major wear on the bushing.

I am so so confused... [bigcry][confused] I getting nitemares that my wheel will fly out when I drive on the highway... [knife][bigcry][dead][dead][dead]

Neutral Newbie

hi, why dun u show n tell during the meetups ?

can do a process of elimination..

does the sound appear when driving and at what speeds ?

did u check the engine/wheel bay for any loose items swaying about ?

Jack up the left front wheel and look under.. see if any joints/bushing/clamps are loose or worn off.

If u can pinpoint the noise, then I think u'd find the answer. nod.gif

Icerain,

I'm sure there's nothing to worry about and your nightmares are a wee bit unfounded for now unless what you hear coming from the wheel is a horribly, annoying creaking sound!

My car suffers from a creaking sound too when during spot turns, my mechanic and I attributed this to the suspension components, fortunately it's nothing serious and I've been living with it for the past year. The sound has not gotten louder, not has the stability of the car suffered in any way.

If you're really worried, have your front thoroughly inspected again by the mechanic - control arms, axles, tie rods, that kinda stuff...even your brake mechanisms - rotors and brake calipers may not be aligned correctly. Check for cracks anywhere; help him detect and pinpoint where the noise(s) are coming from exactly.

Also, try spraying grease on the bushings and joints and see if it helps.

My wild guess - brake rotors/calipers.

Edited by Armored_Saint

Neutral Newbie

Yup yup... I also say. Anyway I cannot hear it from the inside, only when its quiet outside and I'm listening to it from the outside. [:p]

I am also thinking it could be a loose centre ring in the wheel that could be causing it as well... though again, its another wild guess. Brake rotors / calipers are on my list too. [dizzy]

Oh well... nothing seems to be falling out at the moment... [;)][laugh] I borrow some other pair of listening ears another time... [:)]

Neutral Newbie

Hee problem is I cannot pin point the sound... I wanna show so many times but I keep forgetting about it as well. The sound appears at very low speed, like rolling only, but anyway you can't hear in the car anyway. Gotta be standing outside. [:|]

I'll see if I can show you guys coming Friday ba... [:)]

did you just change your rim? i also have ticking/ clinking sound when slow roll, turning b4. it is due to my rim centre hub(the one that the brand of the rim/ made of the car is put on) knocking onto the nut holding the brake disc, the mech took out the hub, the sound is gone. he said that the rim i bought dont suit my car.

Neutral Newbie

Hmm... even that centre hub is not suited for your car (they're seldom the right size) you can have a hub ring in the centre to make them more fitting right? [:/]

But that's exactly the same problem I was suspecting too... the hub ring is too loose and its rolling and dropping a little with motion, knocking against the nut thing as you have described...

But your symptoms so far is the closest as described! [thumbsup] Thanks! I'll give it a try by swapping the front and rear hub-rings! [:)] Thanks again!

Hi people,

There's a metal clicking sound at my left front wheel whenever I,

1. Turn my steering.

2. When the wheel rolls.

3. Even when stationary, I apply pressure to rock the car a little.

4. Or pull and tug at the wheels sideways.

The sound is really quite soft. It's like 2 small coins clinking and knocking each other. It's been there for quite a while and recently its grown much louder. [:p]

I really don't care as long as there'll be no permanent damage, or my entire assembly under the left fender doesn't fall apart while I'm driving... but... will it? [dizzy][dead]

Erm... help help! [sweatdrop]

Sounds like the shaft needs to change liao... but your car quite new leh.. shouldn't be so soon...

↡ Advertisement