Exhaust wrapping documented DIY step by step

Lester

Neutral Newbie

Dear all

Here below is the documented steps in doing your own exhaust wrapping. It involves patience and alittle prespiration. I'll keep the narration short.

You'll see from the beginning I still have my old wrapping on and it's cracking up. It wasn't well done by the shop previously. I removed the old layer of skin and used a metal brush on the surface to remove loose debri. My material came as a sheet and it's not as superior as Thermotec but it works good enough. The contact surfaces of the gasket and the manifold and block has to be cleaned and prep for application of the hi temp silicon application later. The strips are cut at 2" wide and about one metre long and presoaked in water. Doesn't matter how long as long as it's wet thru. Remove, squeeze dry and start by the portion nearest to the block. It's easier to do from top to bottom rather than vice-versa. Once you'll got a strip secured, use binding wire to secure the ends and in the middle if you as particular as me. Upon completion, fit manifold back with the application of the hi-temp silicon available at most hardware stores at less than S$8. I used the silicon on both sides of the gasket pc that was stock on the vehicle. Once done, stand back and start her up. Dun fret when you see smoke. It's the water vapor from the heat on the manifold. It's gonna take sometime. (Half an hour of light driving around to remove the water completely. Have fun.sly.gif

Regards

Lester

post-6-1060009554_thumb.jpg

post-6-1060009555_thumb.jpg

post-6-1060009556_thumb.jpg

post-6-1060009557_thumb.jpg

post-6-1060009558_thumb.jpg

post-6-1060009559_thumb.jpg

post-6-1060009560_thumb.jpg

post-6-1060009561_thumb.jpg

post-6-1060009562_thumb.jpg

post-6-1060009563_thumb.jpg

post-6-1060009564_thumb.jpg

post-6-1060009565_thumb.jpg

post-6-1060009566_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lester
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

It's not rusted. It's just oxidised. Cos previously there was a layer of ceramic paint. That's why it looks worn.

Regards

Lester

Neutral Newbie

Not just water. Plus mud, dung, anything you can find in the jungle.

Regards

Lester

Neutral Newbie

Nope. At at allcos I'm using metal gaskets and they last almost forever unless broken delibrately.

Regards

Lester

nice diy, where do u get the material and how much?

want to do this too..

I didn't do for Exos, but tried on the CAI Hose..

i believe the material me and TS used are the same..

post-15170-1301550102_thumb.jpg

Dear all

Here below is the documented steps in doing your own exhaust wrapping. It involves patience and alittle prespiration. I'll keep the narration short.

You'll see from the beginning I still have my old wrapping on and it's cracking up. It wasn't well done by the shop previously. I removed the old layer of skin and used a metal brush on the surface to remove loose debri. My material came as a sheet and it's not as superior as Thermotec but it works good enough. The contact surfaces of the gasket and the manifold and block has to be cleaned and prep for application of the hi temp silicon application later. The strips are cut at 2" wide and about one metre long and presoaked in water. Doesn't matter how long as long as it's wet thru. Remove, squeeze dry and start by the portion nearest to the block. It's easier to do from top to bottom rather than vice-versa. Once you'll got a strip secured, use binding wire to secure the ends and in the middle if you as particular as me. Upon completion, fit manifold back with the application of the hi-temp silicon available at most hardware stores at less than S$8. I used the silicon on both sides of the gasket pc that was stock on the vehicle. Once done, stand back and start her up. Dun fret when you see smoke. It's the water vapor from the heat on the manifold. It's gonna take sometime. (Half an hour of light driving around to remove the water completely. Have fun.

Regards

Lester

what is the red tube used for?