5 Days in Hong Kong with a toddler in tow - tips needed on places to go and eat

therock

So my lil 'un is now a toddler and we are taking the meatball on a trip to HKG in November for five days.

I will be meeting them in HKG after a work trip in China and rendezvous with them.

Thus far we have booked the Hotel - AKVO hotel at Sheung Wan.

Other than that, things are pretty open.

I did do a search, but nothing similar came up and some of the threads are much older too..

So what I need help on please:

- toddler friendly food places near Sheung Wan and attractions

- toddler friendly attractions, bearing in mind the lil 'un still needs a small afternoon nap

- places for wifey to shop that are also toddler friendly near Sheung Wan

I'm not big on Disney and the queues are nuts, so it's ok not to go there...

Maybe one larger excursion, eg the Peak? The outer new territories and such? 

I have three Octopus cards thanks to a friend.

One more important thing is to go for a special dinner with the wife as our tin anniversary is coming up soon too so maybe something special yet kid friendly close to our hotel?

Many thanks bros

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

On 10/19/2024 at 10:03 PM, inlinesix said:

Sheung Wan is quite hilly to walk. Bad idea to walk with pram,

It is either Causeway Bay or Taikoo.

Got budget, go Stanley 

I had to carry the heavy pram with my then toddler on it up and down the stairs at their mrt station entrances...all stairs no ramp one...😅

Revisted the place couple of years later...went with a light weight pram...wife carried the pram...i carried the heavier than before boy...same same...😅

• Haha! 5

I remember i stayed in one hotel in Sheung Wan area donkey years ago, need to take a tram after alighting at Sheung Wan MTR to get to the hotel, that time still constructing the extension MTR line beyond Sheung Wan station. Don't remember there are anything special in Sheung Wan. Lol.

On 10/19/2024 at 11:09 PM, mersaylee said:

I had to carry the heavy pram with my then toddler on it up and down the stairs at their mrt station entrances...all stairs no ramp one...😅

Revisted the place couple of years later...went with a light weight pram...wife carried the pram...i carried the heavier than before boy...same same...😅

In my past visits to HK, I spent a lot of time on HK island walking.

So, I know how tough it is.

• Praise 2

On 10/19/2024 at 11:09 PM, mersaylee said:

Ya, MTR in HK all are stairs only. Whenever i went to HK, the stairs that i walked there for few days equal to 1 year of stairs that i climbed in SG. Lol.

• Haha! 2

On 10/19/2024 at 11:18 PM, inlinesix said:

In my past visits to HK, I spent a lot of time on HK island walking.

So, I know how tough it is.

I ever worked out of there for a short while...everyday climb hill...cum back immediately found our tiny red dot very flat...and very quiet...😂

• Haha! 3

On 10/19/2024 at 10:30 PM, Jman888 said:

only stick to Sheung Wan? not going downtown and HK island?

Thanks bro
For some days, we may venture much further out... especially if there are some nice places worth going.. and food of course

The typical road side stall with the hustle and bustle might be hard for a slow patient meal, so I may skip that experience...

• Praise 1

You may skip the Symphony of Lights show. Not worth the trip. Been there twice this year, it was bad weather on one occasion & decided to give it another chance. The music is muffled, can't see the laser lights. But if you are going to pak tor with little one on the stroller, a night walk along Victoria Harbour still ok. 

Can catch a ferry ride from TST back to HK thereafter. Fares are not expensive. Just for the experience

nowadays disneyland HK is not as crowded as before especially on non peak season, no long queue at most of the rides and if you go for kiddy rides even lesser queue.

On 10/20/2024 at 12:24 AM, therock said:

Thanks bro
For some days, we may venture much further out... especially if there are some nice places worth going.. and food of course

The typical road side stall with the hustle and bustle might be hard for a slow patient meal, so I may skip that experience...

I also try to avoid street side stalls or even shops where they tend to rush you and not so toddler friendly, but most proper restaurants and those in the malls would be better. 

The Peak is nice, Tai-O at Lantau island or Sai Kung would be nice for peaceful stroll along the fishing village but a bit far.

• Praise 1

Use front facing baby carrier if possible. Prams will not fit into most street cafes, peak hr crowded trains and crowded pavements.

Long stairs in many mtr stations will kill you carrying pram with your other bags. They disallow bulky items like luggages (not sure prams) on mtr escalators and will force you to take lifts.

Public toilets are not so common so plan to be near kids-friendly bigger malls 

Last but not least, pu tong hua is now pervasive and spoken in retail shops so don't worry if you can't speak Cantonese.

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 2

On 10/20/2024 at 6:24 PM, Jellandross said:

Use front facing baby carrier if possible. Prams will not fit into most street cafes, peak hr crowded trains and crowded pavements.

Long stairs in many mtr stations will kill you carrying pram with your other bags. They disallow bulky items like luggages (not sure prams) on mtr escalators and will force you to take lifts.

Public toilets are not so common so plan to be near kids-friendly bigger malls 

Last but not least, pu tong hua is now pervasive and spoken in retail shops so don't worry if you can't speak Cantonese.

Hong kong people speaks pu tong hua now ah? Thought they don't like to speak, esp quite 'unfriendly' to those people who speaks pu tong hua as they group them as ah tiong?! Lol.

• Praise 1

On 10/20/2024 at 12:43 AM, Ray7456 said:

You may skip the Symphony of Lights show. Not worth the trip. Been there twice this year, it was bad weather on one occasion & decided to give it another chance. The music is muffled, can't see the laser lights. But if you are going to pak tor with little one on the stroller, a night walk along Victoria Harbour still ok. 

Can catch a ferry ride from TST back to HK thereafter. Fares are not expensive. Just for the experience

Symphony of Lights show is at TST area, can go see look see look since TST is quite a convenience place to go lo.

On 10/20/2024 at 8:08 PM, 13177 said:

Hong kong people speaks pu tong hua now ah? Thought they don't like to speak, esp quite 'unfriendly' to those people who speaks pu tong hua as they group them as ah tiong?! Lol.

If you speak Chinese,say you from Singapore.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1