100 inch TV or projector for home theatre

Estrangable

Folks - Moving to a new place next year and there is a dedicated room for home theater - 6.9M (Width) * 6.3M (Length) in size. This is already pre-setup by the previous owner with a proper projector mounting and a 180 inch screen.

Wanted to check with the experts here on which is the better option in 2025 - going with a projector or just go for 100 inch tv, esp since 100 inch tv is just ard 5K or even lower next year. Will be using this mainly for gaming and watching movies. 

Budget ard 7K max and also plan to set up a 7.2.2 home theatre system. 

What is the best option - use the existing setup and get a projector, say Epson TW9400 or a 4K 100 inch TV? 

Many thanks 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

On 10/2/2024 at 9:51 AM, Estrangable said:

Folks - Moving to a new place next year and there is a dedicated room for home theater - 6.9M (Width) * 6.3M (Length) in size. This is already pre-setup by the previous owner with a proper projector mounting and a 180 inch screen.

Wanted to check with the experts here on which is the better option in 2025 - going with a projector or just go for 100 inch tv, esp since 100 inch tv is just ard 5K or even lower next year. Will be using this mainly for gaming and watching movies. 

What is the best option - use the existing setup and get a projector, say Epson TW9400 or a 4K 100 inch TV? 

Many thanks 

Apartment or landed? Take note if 100 inch tv can go into lift if apartment. 

My preference is always tv for better images and no need to dim room when watching. But I wouldn't use such a big tv for gaming. 

• Praise 3

On 10/2/2024 at 11:29 AM, Inlinefour said:

my friend said don’t go for *****+

warranty over tv uploorry 🤫🤫🤫

buy projector safer 👍👍👍

I used for 5 years already no issue, in fact electronic items i believe is heng suay, other brands of mine Samsung / Philips / Panasonic all spoiled within 3 to 4 years plus.

• Haha! 1

Paging for @therock

Personally me still prefer tv over projector.. I may be outdated, but my impression is tv still better contrast, brightness, quieter and works better than projector in bright room..

But size matters.. the projector screen size can be bigger than 100"

Edited by Tkseah
  • Praise 2

Used to own a projector for movie, many years back (>15 years), don't know technology has improved or not. One annoyance is the sound of the fan. Maybe it's the location of the projector, which it is above my head in the constraint of a HDB living room.

When the heat management kicks in after watching halfway, the noise is noticeable. Also got to prepare to change bulb once blows.

Once the projector spoilt, switched to 55" plasma TV till this day.  

• Praise 1

On 10/2/2024 at 11:29 AM, Inlinefour said:

my friend said don’t go for *****+

warranty over tv uploorry 🤫🤫🤫

buy projector safer 👍👍👍

But projector image quality would never be as good as TVs.

• Praise 1

On 10/2/2024 at 12:02 PM, Davidklt said:

But projector image quality would never be as good as TVs.

To me, as someone growing up in cinemas. I think projector is more cinematic.

at 120-150 inches. doesn't really matter not so sharp lol.

• Haha! 1

On 10/2/2024 at 12:38 PM, Lala81 said:

Projector spoil just change. 

TV spoil. That kinda size TV weighs 60+kg or more. 

Ultra short throw for compact layout too. Probably going to get a 4k one on 11.11 from TB. Jmgo less than 2k dollars. Spoilt not so heartache. 

• Haha! 1

On 10/2/2024 at 9:51 AM, Estrangable said:

Many thanks 

180 inch? That is a huge room you have. U have a projector before? If not, just go for the tv. Projector is an hassle to turn on and off, need to close curtains, wait for projector to power up, hard to do stuff in parallel because it is dark. Also a lot depends on the room u have and your seating position. 
only reason to choose projector if u really are the movie buff who really concentrates and appreciate the movie.

• Praise 2

On 10/2/2024 at 12:28 PM, inlinesix said:

100" TV with a budget of $7k can only get QLED from Hisense.

Mini LED 100" TV from Hisense is around $9k now.

ok la, the prices keep falling and especially for those 100 inch TV, very often the shops will let go at a very good dsicount during key festival periods or clearance. I saw the LG 98 selling at 4.5k last month and TCL at 3999 during comex. Granted that its not a mini LED.

On 10/2/2024 at 1:38 PM, kobayashiGT said:

I will choose projector thou. the bigger the screen the more immersive it will be. 😆

Ya. For good for education study.

All the details will be very big😂

• Haha! 6

On 10/2/2024 at 1:08 PM, Wind30 said:

180 inch? That is a huge room you have. U have a projector before? If not, just go for the tv. Projector is an hassle to turn on and off, need to close curtains, wait for projector to power up, hard to do stuff in parallel because it is dark. Also a lot depends on the room u have and your seating position. 
only reason to choose projector if u really are the movie buff who really concentrates and appreciate the movie.

nope, no experience with projector... just tot its damn song to play black myth on a 150++ inch screen. Furthermore, everything has been setup by previous owner.. might as well just go ahead and get a projector but definitely the pic quality is poorer than a tv.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1