Bought a 24 years old car - W202

Turbocharged
(edited)
On 8/7/2024 at 3:29 PM, Mkl22 said:

The cabrio 124. I know of 3 previously. One blue one black and one brown. The black have not seen for a long long time. The brown has been exported.you can see the brown one in propel website.  So maybe left the blue one. I remember it has an old 2 letter S plate. 

The black is still seen. The brown has been rescued from Propel. The blue has a SP plate.

Edited by Toeknee_33
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged
On 8/7/2024 at 6:42 PM, Toeknee_33 said:

The black is still seen. The brown has been rescued from Propel. The blue has a SP plate.

Those end up in Propel not de-registered? 

Turbocharged
On 8/7/2024 at 6:50 PM, Ody_2004 said:

Those end up in Propel not de-registered? 

Not in this case. Entire car was sold to Propel including the paper value. 

• Praise 1

Twincharged
On 8/7/2024 at 7:49 PM, Toeknee_33 said:

Not in this case. Entire car was sold to Propel including the paper value. 

I went to test drive the brown one in 2016 I think. Was renewed with pretty high coe in 2013. Asking for 95k or thereabouts. Needed quite some work. Cabrio top inside headliner needed work and interior was tired. Mechanically seemed ok. 

• Praise 1

On 8/7/2024 at 10:37 AM, Davidklt said:

Show some photos of the interior?

Photos as attached, condition not exactly the best for a 24 years old car, but gets the point to point done. 

IMG_6275.jpg

IMG_6277.jpg

IMG_6279.jpg

IMG_6280.jpg

• Praise 1

On 8/7/2024 at 10:56 AM, Karoon said:

Congrats! Looks like a good ride. Hope you have some mechanic skill for the wear and tear jobs.

Yes, for basic wear and tear, I have a few mechanics. For spare parts, hard to get in SG, so just some DIY from mechanics for engine bonnet catch release handle. 

Turbocharged

The W202 looks like the W124, except that the edges are more rounded.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
On 8/9/2024 at 12:25 PM, Albeniz said:

The W202 looks like the W124, except that the edges are more rounded.

But the Interior Material used is a Far-Cry from W124,in term of Solidness.

• Praise 1

On 8/9/2024 at 11:08 AM, Smoothscott said:

Photos as attached, condition not exactly the best for a 24 years old car, but gets the point to point done. 

IMG_6275.jpg

IMG_6277.jpg

IMG_6279.jpg

IMG_6280.jpg

Thank you.

(edited)
On 8/9/2024 at 12:30 PM, ER-3682 said:

But the Interior Material used is a Far-Cry from W124,in term of Solidness.

The first C Class was actually the first Merc designed with a budget in mind. And the first Merc to lose the Merc's satisfying door shut acoustics.

However, the 190E, the predecessor did retain a lot of those qualities. Some of those that can be found in the market aged very well.

Edited by Davidklt
  • Praise 3

5th Gear
On 8/9/2024 at 3:14 PM, Davidklt said:

The first C Class was actually the first Merc designed with a budget in mind. And the first Merc to lose the Merc's satisfying door shut acoustics.

However, the 190E, the predecessor did retain a lot of those qualities. Some of those that can be found in the market aged very well.

190 a great choice to consider, with a racing history too.

Anyway OP can just touch up the steering wheel and cracked leather seats, the interiors will add a lot of points!

Twincharged
(edited)
On 8/9/2024 at 3:14 PM, Davidklt said:

Same as the 1st Batch of W210,that Owners collected at the Old Turf Club,my Friend regretted when He replaced the W124 ''Masterpiece'' with it...He said even the sound of the Aircon Blower Switch so bad.

Edited by ER-3682
  • Praise 1

On 8/5/2024 at 6:51 PM, Hamburger said:

When I retire, I probably would go for a W124 coupe.

Not many of this around.

• Sad 1

Twincharged
On 8/10/2024 at 12:32 AM, Davidklt said:

Not many of this around.

Thanks to our "Unique" 10 Years COE System.

Twincharged

The w202 was also plagued by its wiring loom problem for the 1994-1996 models. They used biodegradable plastics for the wiring. So many cars had shorts of the wires and caused weird problems. 

• Praise 1

Twincharged
On 8/10/2024 at 9:41 AM, Mkl22 said:

The w202 was also plagued by its wiring loom problem for the 1994-1996 models. They used biodegradable plastics for the wiring. So many cars had shorts of the wires and caused weird problems. 

M-111 Engine Wire Harness.🤦‍♂️

On 8/10/2024 at 9:41 AM, Mkl22 said:

What are some of the common problems that was reported? I do see that the fuel indicator is sometimes faulty, occasionally reflect fuel tank low even when I just pumped. But after restarting engine, the issue is gone. 

Not many W124 left, thanks to our unique COE system.

Went cafe hopping last month at Tiong Bahru, Sit Wah and Seng Poh road and saw an orange W115 and a red 1st Gen Golf cabriolet there .

Hopefully these cars will still remain. 

↡ Advertisement