Family in Spain/Portugal

(edited)
On 7/3/2024 at 8:15 AM, Spidey10 said:

understand this group of pple are mainly fr eastern europe....all flock to spain and italy to ply thier trade....

the moment in crowded places, that's where they will strike....

And they use young children, especially girls, cos they get it very leniently from the police, and usually the police got no tools to deal with them... their humanitarian feelings very 'gao'... so good luck to any poor tourist who kenna lor...

Edited by teomingern
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

On 7/3/2024 at 10:16 AM, Lala81 said:

I'm the kind that would rather not go these places, where pickpocketing/petty theft is a major concern. very hard to prevent. 

At least in other countries, it's much easier to avoid mugging scenarios by avoiding certain areas.
But pick pocketing is something you have to be alert once you're in public. 

Asia pacific frog in the well reporting in. 😄

You say Asia Pacific frog means you go to USA also lar... that place also got many pickpockets leh... depends on where you are... but still an issue, no?

• Haha! 1

On 7/3/2024 at 10:31 AM, denser said:

still thinking to go Italy next year, heard so many bad feedback, dirty and pickpocket..

Classic trick I was told many years back: someone reading papers bumps into you, newspapers shade your body below the waist, another party 'mai tu liao' and after saying sorry profusely, you find yourself rather poorer from the exchange...

Someone once told me that if you want to go to places like Italy, Spain or Portugal, or China must pay school fees regardless...

On 7/3/2024 at 12:07 PM, Dannnn said:

yea, is the phone and documents. go during cold period, put the wallet inside pocket near to chest.

cash now just change abit can liao since most place accept CC.

I always split my cash... and I used a money belt in Europe... inside my shirt under my pants... with sweater over... it's flat so can't see where your money is... nothing in my pocket except my phone which is in the front jeans pocket which is like super tight and I have trouble pulling it out.... didn't get touched in Paris though... even though I take public transport around...

Turbocharged
On 7/3/2024 at 9:22 AM, mersaylee said:

Have seen beedeos on FB, some locals are sick and tired of high pickpocket cases in their cities...started to fish out criminals at places of interest...they'd take camera to shoot and shout "pickpocket"...to scare them away...ironically...most are young gals...

• Praise 1

Supercharged
On 7/3/2024 at 10:31 AM, denser said:

still thinking to go Italy next year, heard so many bad feedback, dirty and pickpocket..

i was in Italy a few yrs back, Venice, Rome and Vatican City and the great italian lakes.....it was nto that bad leh that time....we even went out late evening for jalan jalan and it was ok...But now dunno. Heard after Covid, everything is not the same again 

• Praise 1
  • Sad 1

Supercharged
On 7/3/2024 at 1:16 PM, teomingern said:

Classic trick I was told many years back: someone reading papers bumps into you, newspapers shade your body below the waist, another party 'mai tu liao' and after saying sorry profusely, you find yourself rather poorer from the exchange...

Someone once told me that if you want to go to places like Italy, Spain or Portugal, or China must pay school fees regardless...

i was based out of Amesterdam for a year and travelled thru europe.....didn't encountered all these pickpocketing issues...maybe that was before covid...now is very rampant..sad.

agree that want to enjoy also scared...maybe just go korea and japan every year to be on the safe side....hahhah

• Haha! 1

Supercharged
On 7/3/2024 at 12:03 PM, Datsun366 said:

This means got readers in the background. You guys were marked as targets, esp her. Jaga kid looking around. Even in sg my very own royal highness also unzip bag and walk around. I know what I am doing lah is the oft refrain. What can we do?

i was next to my mom when her bag was sliced open by razor blade and purse pilfered, also in a very distracting environment. Mum did not notice any tugging even though her bag was tucked under her axilla.

dont even try to catch the pickpocket…Hor, leave us bleeding minus fingers…

me, try, I look like I would rob you back and then bring you to the back alley and ask you remove pants for prostate or cervical exam... Most turn to easier targets. And only a small amount of disposable cash free, the stack is in the shoes.

zhong Dian is Barcelona is not safe. Pickpockets exist because desperate ppl tan bo Jiak.  Treat it as donation Lor. We are Asian frogs in the pot.

maybe spf/private security can conduct chargeable lessons for self protection overseas? Squeeze some more from the tourists?

Have a good holiday outside of sterile safe Singapore.

good idea....gonna split my cash up. and just applied for trust card and use apple pay...:grin:

not going to bring a lot of cash, everything charge to the card...that's the plan.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 7/3/2024 at 1:14 PM, teomingern said:

You say Asia Pacific frog means you go to USA also lar... that place also got many pickpockets leh... depends on where you are... but still an issue, no?

I can't take long leave anyway. So spending 2 days flying is just a waste of my time. My sweet spot is around 7-8hrs most. 
NZ is as far as i want to go when my kids are older and can trek more. 

I don't enjoy long holidays also. maybe 9-10 days or so is my preference. 

No $ also lol.

Lot of self justification. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Haha! 1

6th Gear
On 7/3/2024 at 11:32 AM, Dannnn said:

where did you put your wallet? back pocket?

if put in jeans front pocket, shouldnt be so easy for them to take out.

and i think now Europe also dont need much cash anymore, just change a few hundred, bring out $100-200 each time and rest keep in hotel.

the rest all use card/youtrip(mobile)

front pocket. and i even had my hands on them whole time. But i knew I was already targetted when they followed me from cathedral to the subway. I purposely let the first train pass, and true enough they also waited with me... then bo bian we got on the 2nd train but lo and behold alrdy got his gang inside also... really scary, and I was more worried about our safety than the $ to be honest. 

That was 10 years ago, now i youtrip all the way during, only keep less than $100 spare change on me at any time...

• Sad 2

6th Gear

Pickpocket is very common worldwide. Just SG is unique. Last year while in Portugal, my friend backpack (whole bag) was pickpocketed right under our nose. It contained his progressive specs (expensive) and most importantly his passport. The police station we went to has a dedicated section call "Tourist Police Department". Need no scientist to understand why!!!! First reaction was to lock all credit cards and cancel the passport but turn out to be a mistake. The passport was returned to the police station the next morning. As the passport was already cancel, there is no chance to reinstate. Concurrently, we had a hard time to secure to DOI (Document of Identity) so that we could board the flight in 2 days time. Fortunately, our embassy reacted promptly and we were able to fly back without any hiccups. 

4th Gear
On 7/3/2024 at 1:49 PM, Matoonia said:

front pocket. and i even had my hands on them whole time. But i knew I was already targetted when they followed me from cathedral to the subway. I purposely let the first train pass, and true enough they also waited with me... then bo bian we got on the 2nd train but lo and behold alrdy got his gang inside also... really scary, and I was more worried about our safety than the $ to be honest. 

That was 10 years ago, now i youtrip all the way during, only keep less than $100 spare change on me at any time...

If front pocket, how did they still get it off from you? you can just slip your both hand inside your pocket and walk. Unless you are talking about rob.

Yeah now I feel in Europe no need much cash, mainly use card will do. keep some spare change for really small vendors or toilets etc.

Supercharged
On 7/3/2024 at 1:12 PM, teomingern said:

And they use young children, especially girls, cos they get it very leniently from the police, and usually the police got no tools to deal with them... their humanitarian feelings very 'gao'... so good luck to any poor tourist who kenna lor...

yah lor...i am heading there in Oct.....planning, planning and planning! fearing the worse hoping for the best...

Supercharged
On 7/3/2024 at 1:54 PM, Dannnn said:

If front pocket, how did they still get it off from you? you can just slip your both hand inside your pocket and walk. Unless you are talking about rob.

Yeah now I feel in Europe no need much cash, mainly use card will do. keep some spare change for really small vendors or toilets etc.

I dun carry a lot of cash with me when i was there, opened an account with ABN and everywhere they accept debit card, just like here. except for UK....that time brexit and they dun wan Euro money...

6th Gear
On 7/3/2024 at 1:54 PM, Dannnn said:

yes i think it's rob/pickpocket... so a group of them around u nudging u like that, then 1 guy suddenly 'went into fits' like that, then the rest is like a blur. in a flash, they got off next stop when door open, and i gave chase, then 1 of them threw my wallet back into the train so i went back inside... also dun think it's safe to give chase with my wife still inside.. my wife saw the entire incident also cannot exactly tell what was going on... but most important thing both of us safe

• Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/3/2024 at 1:40 PM, Lala81 said:

I can't take long leave anyway. So spending 2 days flying is just a waste of my time. My sweet spot is around 7-8hrs most. 
NZ is as far as i want to go when my kids are older and can trek more. 

I don't enjoy long holidays also. maybe 9-10 days or so is my preference. 

No $ also lol.

Lot of self justification. 

Haha... I feel you... cos my reason is no $$$!!! NS is 11 hours away leh... my wife balks at that... I'm also looking to take my kids there when they are older and are willing to walk and trek a bit... what age you reckon would be good? 7-10 years old? Or maybe even older... also mindful that older kids cost more to holiday with - they eat a lot, and everything costs more... wah hahaha...

On 7/3/2024 at 1:49 PM, Matoonia said:

Why you never walk to police station if you felt targeted?

On 7/3/2024 at 1:59 PM, Spidey10 said:

I dun carry a lot of cash with me when i was there, opened an account with ABN and everywhere they accept debit card, just like here. except for UK....that time brexit and they dun wan Euro money...

Debit card not more risky meh? Linked directly to bank account... if they get hold of it and empty your account before you can report it? Credit card's risk is held by the bank issuing the card leh...

↡ Advertisement