Malaysia-Singapore Causeway: Bridging borders 100 years on

Turbocharged

Didn't realize that the causeway has been around for a century. It was officially opened on 28 June 1924.

Source: https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/international/asean/malaysia-singapore-causeway-bridging-borders-100-years

1719198071425?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=nwgw

EVERY morning, two to three 40-foot trailers from Malaysian dairy producer Farm Fresh depart from farms in Kota Tinggi and Desaru, each delivering 18,000 litres of fresh milk to Singapore.

Founder and group managing director Loi Tuan Ee credits the Johor-Singapore Causeway – which is celebrating its 100th anniversary this month – for this seamless operation. “The proximity, easy accessibility and lower logistics costs enable us to send fresh milk to our Singaporean customers daily,” he told The Business Times.

The Malaysia-listed dairy producer, based in Johor, began exporting to Singapore six years ago. Today, the city state is its largest export market, contributing around 5 per cent of total sales.

Farm Fresh's trailers are among 3,000 to 4,000 trucks transporting goods from Malaysia that queue daily at the Johor Bahru Customs, Immigration and Quarantine complex, waiting for clearance to enter Singapore.

The 1 Km-long motorway crossing, also referred to as the Malaysia-Singapore Causeway, is one of the world's busiest border crossing, averaging 350,000 travellers and 100,000 vehicles daily. During peak periods such as school holidays, it handles more than 400,000 crossings daily. Singapore Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) projects that this will rise to 400,000 daily travellers by 2050.

Some days, the numbers can be staggering. The recent Hari Raya Haji long weekend broke records with more than 530,000 people crossing on the Causeway and Tuas Second Link on Jun 14, said ICA.

The Causeway is more that a bridge for Jeffrey Lai, president of the Johor Bahru Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry.

"It's not just for workers travelling from JB (Johor Bahru)to Singapore everyday... it also promotes the flow investment, education and culture between both countries," said Lai, as he recalled pleasant bus journeys during his school days from Singapore to JB on Friday evenings.

Lai grew up in Singapore, where his parents moved to when he was just three. After the returned to JB to start a business, Lai remained in Singapore for his secondary school education, making the cross-border commute a nearly weekend to visit them.

"I still remember... every Sunday night, my father would drop me at the old customs complex, and I would take the number 170 bus from JB to Singapore," he reminisced.

Now residing in JB, he still uses the Causeway to visit relatives, friends and business partners here, and to enjoy his favorite Singapore chicken rice.

"The Causeway is an important link connecting both countries," he added, noting that more than 10,000 students cross the Causeway daily for their studies. They are not just Malaysian students from JB studying in Singapore, but also, increasingly, students from Singapore going to international schools in JB.

Kelvin Kee, executive director of international business division at Singapore Business Federation (SBF), said bilateral trade between Singapore and Malaysia has grown, not just for merchandise, but also in services and digital trade.

"Following the lifting of pandemic restrictions, we have seen the cross-border flow of people using the Causeway return to pre-pandemic levels, and even exceed such levels during peak periods," he told BT. He highlighted that Malaysia's proximity to Singapore offers business owners an attractive option for overseas expansion, with significantly lower costs for labour, overheads, rent and land.

Since the GlobalConnect@SBF programme launched in November 2019 to aid Singapore businesses in overseas expansion, the business chamber has facilitated 32 successful projects into Malaysia as at December 2023, across various sectors including manufacturing, retail, education and services.

In 2023, Johor garnered a total investment of RM43 billion (S$12.4 billion) from 751 approved projects, with more than 70 percent, or RM31 billion, coming from foreign direct investment (FDI). Over half of the FDI went to service sector, while the manufacturing sector received 30 percent.

Lee Ting Han, Johor state investment, trade, consumer affairs, and human resources committee chairman, said 70 percent of the FDI in the state's manufacturing sector comes from Singapore.

With ongoing projects and robust tourism, the state government is confident total investment in 2024 will surpass last year's.

In the first quarter of 2024, 221 projects were approved, focusing on machinery and equipment, food processing, electrical and electronics, and chemical and petrolchemical sectors.

Singapore is the second-largest investor in Malaysia and one of the biggest investment sources for Johor, especially the Iskandar region - Malaysia's southern growth corridor.

From 2006 to September 2023, cumulative investment from Singapore to the Iskandar region reached RM45.8 billion - about 25 percent of total investment.

Wile the Causeway remains the primary connection between the two cities, a significant catalyst for enhanced connectivity will be the JB-Singapore Rapid Transit System (RTS), set to begin operations by end-2026.

In an earlier interview with BT, Malaysia's Mass Rapid Transit Corp CEO Mohd Zarif said the 4 km journey on the light rail shuttle service will take about five minutes. If all goes well, travelling from Bukit Chagar station in JB to Singapore will take only 15 minutes.

Chua Hak Bin, regional co-head for macro at Maybank Investment Banking Group, expects the RTS, which is over two-thirds complete, to improve connectivity, reduce congestion and strengthen JB-Singapore ties.

The RTS will increase its capacity to 10,000 passengers per hour per direction, compared to the current KTM rail service's 640 passengers.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9

Supersonic

Times flies past without one knowing .... :we-all-gonna-die:

Johore straits water had been stagnant for 100 years after they completed the causeway. :a-m1524:

No wonder 'Mad Hater' wanted to build a Crooked Bridge to replace it. :secret-laugh:

• Haha! 4

Turbocharged

A nice infographics by BT.

BT - Connection that has withstood World War II global pandemic.png

Wow, the original Causeway look like the narrow link road across Kranji Reservoir.

13936717_1642767719367466_1588902292_n.j 

• Praise 5

Hypersonic
On 6/26/2024 at 3:55 PM, Raychay said:

100 years later still jammed!

Purposely 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

Turbocharged
On 6/26/2024 at 4:05 PM, inlinesix said:

Purposely 

It's against the interests of both sides to un-jam it. So even if the RTS eventually built and can facilitate efficient large movement of people across the border, there will be new impediments imposed to discourage it.

• Praise 4

I am thankful for the causeway. Without it, I would not be around (my mum is from JB). [:)]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

Supersonic
On 6/27/2024 at 8:38 AM, Carbon82 said:

I am thankful for the causeway. Without it, I would not be around (my mum is from JB). [:)]

You can still swim across. :we-all-gonna-die:

If Mas can, you can. [thumbsup]

[laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 3

Hypersonic

Definetely that Pulau Blakang Mati 👻  resident here is  way older than Causeway    

• Haha! 1

5th Gear

No matter how many times I cross, each time when the bridge is low in traffic I will be super happy and take photo. It's like being released from a 1 hour queue in the hot sun.

• Haha! 2

Turbocharged

I didn't realise Malaysia actually started construction of the crooked bridge, before Badawi stopped it.

I thought all along Mahathir talk only.

• Shocked 1

Turbocharged

Traffic alert.

Expect traffic jam on Causeway during centenary event on June 28 morning

Source: https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/expect-traffic-jam-on-causeway-during-centenary-event-on-june-28-morning

Those travelling between Malaysia and Singapore using the Causeway can expect traffic congestion on the morning of June 28 due to the crossing’s centenary celebrations.

Johor Menteri Besar Onn Hafiz Ghazi said that in conjunction with the Causeway celebrating its 100th anniversary, traffic congestion is expected to occur on the day itself.

“The celebration programme will be held for at least an hour, from 8.30am to 9.30am. Causeway users travelling on the day are advised to travel early and plan their journey well,” he said in a Facebook post on June 27.

Meanwhile, state Youth, Sports, Entrepreneur Development and Cooperatives Committee chairman Mohd Hairi Mad Shah said the anniversary was a significant celebration of Johor and Singapore relations.

The chief secretariat and committee of the Causeway 100th anniversary said it would be a century since the inauguration of the Causeway that connects the state with Singapore.

“Construction of this iconic structure began in 1919 and it was inaugurated on June 28, 1924, during the reign of Johor’s second modern ruler, Almarhum Sultan Sir Ibrahim Ibni Almarhum Abu Bakar.

“This means that the Causeway was built before our country gained independence. Let us all commemorate, appreciate and understand the continuity of this historic structure,” he added.

Mr Mohd Hairi said those who do not have the chance to witness the 100th anniversary celebrations are encouraged to visit the Johor Tokoh Museum, where there will be an exhibition displaying the detailed history from the beginning of construction to the operation of this iconic crossing.

Turbocharged

'The bridge that never sleeps': Malaysians, Singaporeans reflect on Causeway's significance to them on its 100th birthday

Source: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/malaysia-johor-causeway-centennial-bridge-100-years-anniversary-land-checkpoints-4439581

causeway_11.jpg?itok=5IwoMbSz

On Friday (Jun 28), the Causeway celebrates its centennial anniversary, having served as a connector across the Johor Straits for 100 years.

Today it has become one of busiest land crossings in the world, with an estimated 300,000 commuters passing through daily. And this figure is expected to grow with Singapore’s Immigration and Checkpoints Authority projecting traffic volume at the Causeway to increase by 40 per cent by 2050. 

Additionally, in spite of congestion issues and plans to offer travellers more alternative modes of travel, many believe that the Causeway will continue to be relevant for commuters on both sides of the border. 

The Causeway was constructed in 1924 as train and ferry services fell under increasing pressure with the rapidly growing movement of people and goods across the Johor Straits. 

At the time, Singapore was a major international trading British port while Malaysia was a major producer and exporter of raw materials such as tin, rubber and gambier. The Causeway would serve as a means to transport these goods efficiently. 

20060000785_-_img0012.jpg?itok=A4rcQ7se

The land bridge has also seen through key junctures of history - from when it was bombed by retreating British forces during World War II, when immigration facilities were introduced in 1967 following Singapore’s separation from Malaysia as well as during the COVID-19 pandemic when the bridge was shut from leisure travel due to enforced border closures on both sides. 

Singapore’s Consul-General in Johor Bahru Ng Kuan Khai said in a recent interview with CNA that the Causeway symbolises the close bilateral ties between the Republic and Malaysia as well as the ups and downs both countries went through together. 

“For Singapore, Malaysia is one of the most important bilateral accounts, if not the most important bilateral account. We have a relationship that's quite unlike any other. It is bound by geography and a shared history. 

ng_kuan_khai.jpg?itok=Xu6jxLdM

“We came together for merger for a period in our history and subsequently went our separate ways. But even after separation, we continue to deepen business and economic linkages between both sides and all peoples continue to maintain the close familial as well as cultural ties,” said the Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs official. 

“So in that sense, the Causeway is a symbol as well as manifestation of our bonded kinship. It pre-dates our independence and the establishment of bilateral relations. And it is something that has seen our countries through good times as well as difficult times,” he added. 

This sentiment is shared by people who have worked at the Causeway, including retired Malaysian immigration officer Ismail Adnan. 

The 74-year-old, who served as an officer in charge of clearing travellers through immigration checks between 1974 and 1986, told CNA that the crossing is important to “bilateral cooperation” between both countries. 

ismail_adnan_1.jpg?itok=otyhBSwK

He also said that how far the immigration processes have evolved over the years for both Singapore and Malaysian authorities is reflective of how far technology has progressed with the times. 

“I remember when I was on duty, we had to check passports of incoming travellers against two thick books: One (that) lists those who are refused all (immigration) facilities while the other had a list of blacklisted immigrants,” said Mr Ismail. 

“Now it's more advanced, the scanning system is computerised and it's simpler and easier for officers. It's convenient for travellers from both Malaysia and Singapore which means you don’t waste your time waiting,” he added. 

Mr Ismail reflected that through his interactions with travellers from Singapore at the Causeway, he felt that there was a mutual respect and understanding between citizens of both countries. 

“We respect them and they respect us, they were cooperative and very pleasant to chat with,” he said. 

“I believe in karma, if you are a good officer and you are polite, people will respect you too, what goes around comes around.” 

In recent decades, the high volume of traffic at the Causeway may also be attributed to the hundreds of thousands of Malaysians who commute daily for work in Singapore and home in Johor Bahru. 

The increasingly strong Singapore dollar vis a vis the Malaysian Ringgit over the years have prompted more Malaysians to head across the Johor Straits for work and earn a better living. 

Among them is Mr Mohamad Radzi Zolkifli, a technical officer with SMRT who commutes daily across the Causeway via motorcycle between his home in Permas Jaya and his office in Tai Seng. 

He told CNA that it takes him around two hours to travel each way during peak hour, which means on most days he spends four hours in total stuck in transit. 

causeway_32.jpg?itok=7uUG3wkF

Mr Mohamad Radzi - who is married and has a one-year-old child - told CNA that the Causeway is a means for him to work in his dream job and earn enough to support his family. 

“I am proud because I get to see the Johor Causeway reach its 100th birthday, it's a historical monument and a bridge that helps me earn a good living,” said the 31-year-old.  

“I cross it almost every morning and evening and at this young age, am able to get married, afford to buy a house and support my family,” he added.

The Causeway has also attracted large volumes of leisure travellers from Singapore, who cross the borders in huge numbers on weekends and public holidays. 

Recently during the Hari Raya Haji long weekend, Singapore’s Immigration and Checkpoints Authority reported that 2.4 million people passed through either the Causeway and Tuas Second Link - the two land checkpoints linking Singapore and Johor. 

Singaporean retiree Ng Chee Hiong is an example of someone who travels to Johor Bahru regularly for leisure. The 63-year-old told CNA that he travels across via bus around once a week to treat himself. 

Mr Ng said that he will usually have breakfast and purchase essential groceries such as coffee, yogurt and cereal. 

causeway_31_0.jpg?itok=QuLzP1JQ

“I go via the Causeway because I live in Sembawang so it's most convenient - it usually takes around an hour to travel each way. I do it just as an outing, to get out of the house,” he added. 

While most of his commutes are pleasant because he usually travels during the off-peak periods, Mr Ng acknowledged that there have been instances where he has been stuck in long queues at the immigration halls and along the Causeway itself on the bus.  

“I have to be patient, I had to wait in the queue once because I was travelling with my partner and she did not register for e-gate. The journey took us two hours, double the usual time,” he added, referring to Malaysia’s electronic automated gates which Singapore travellers were previously required to register for before passing through. 

Congestion has been a perennial issue for the Causeway over the years, as the volume of travellers have increased. 

Both Singaporean and Malaysian authorities have made plans to cope with a further increase in volume of commuters to alleviate the gridlock. 

For instance, both countries have started to implement QR-code immigration clearance at the Causeway - for drivers passing through Singapore and for Malaysian motorcyclists and bus passengers passing through Johor’s Bangunan Sultan Iskandar (BSI). 

Johor’s acting immigration director Mohd Faizal Shamsuddin told CNA in an interview that his team has implemented measures in the short term to alleviate the traffic jams. 

He said this includes anticipating peak periods to balance manpower deployment as well as improving public communications through the department’s social media channels to disseminate information to travellers on real-time traffic situations as well as major announcements. 

causeway_1.jpg?itok=_M7Jy0GD

He added that there are also plans to increase the number of motorcycle and car lanes to avoid traffic bottlenecks in BSI. 

“Just looking at statistics from January until May 2024, there have been more than 32.3 million trips passing through just BSI … and this goes to show how the Causeway is among the busiests crossing in the world,” said Mr Faisal. 

The immigration chief added that even with alternative modes of transport just as the RTS Link set to offer travellers more choices, the Causeway will continue to be popular as it facilitates travellers the convenience of crossing the borders with their own private vehicles.

The RTS Link aims to ease traffic congestion on the Causeway by ferrying up to 10,000 passengers an hour each way on a journey that takes about five minutes.

The service will run between the Singapore terminus at Woodlands North station and the Malaysia terminus at Bukit Chagar station in Johor Bahru.

“I believe the Causeway will continue to be relevant as it involves bilateral ties between two countries. And even with other alternatives like the train or buses, Malaysian travellers will continue to travel …  by motorcycle because it allows them to travel directly to their offices in Singapore.

“It’s the same with Singaporeans and their families, they would prefer to travel by car because it allows them to travel together as a group to various destinations in Johor Bahru. So for me, the Causeway will continue to be relevant even after the RTS Link is operational from 2027 onwards,” added Mr Faizal.  

• Praise 3

Supersonic
On 6/26/2024 at 3:55 PM, Raychay said:

100 years later still jammed!

Hard for capacity to catch up with 3.5 66 cents petrol tax.

With Tuas combined, we may now have the busiest land crossings (checkpoints) in the world, may have surpassed Gongbei Port in Zhuhai region. 

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
On 6/28/2024 at 1:06 PM, Voodooman said:

Hard for capacity to catch up with 3.5 66 cents petrol tax.

With Tuas combined, we may now have the busiest land crossings (checkpoints) in the world, may have surpassed Gongbei Port in Zhuhai region. 

Woodland CIQ commander said 1 month Woodland cleared 4m bus passengers.

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

WTF... It is simply hilarious to read these 2 news side by side on CNA webpage.

Well must release 100 pigeons? Why not waive the toll charges for 100 days, ok ok too long too much revenue lost, what about 100 hours?  

Singapore has a pigeon problem. What’s being done about it?

Source: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/pigeons-culling-food-waste-illegal-feeding-cna-explains-4439146

pigeons-at-duxton-plain-park.jpg?itok=r_

Why does Singapore need to reduce the pigeon population?

Authorities say this is for public health reasons.

Edited by SGMCF328
  • Haha! 8

5th Gear

Actually I don't quite get Anwar saying diesel price hike is right because of misuse by bus tour operators from sg.

The bus tours also spend most of its schedule in Malaysia what. Sg to KL - 99% burnt in Malaysia, 1% picking up people from Golden Mile. 🤔

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1