37 members have voted

1. 1. Will you stick to EV

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Hypersonic
On 7/8/2024 at 9:14 AM, Terence2112 said:

@inlinesix 

the Aion Y is the cheapest car being offered now. 

It is similar to Ora Good Cat.  Not sure the spec is on par

↡ Advertisement

6th Gear
On 7/8/2024 at 10:52 AM, Kklee said:

IMHO.

Vehicle cost + fuel cost + road tax 
Toyota Altis - $191,108 + $7,920 = $199,028
BYD Seal - $197,488 + $15,020 =  $212,508
Toyota Prius - $212,588 + $9,760 = $222,348

If one is simply looking at the number, the answer is pretty straightforward.

However, I would rather top up another 20k (~10% of the total cost) to get the latest technology + and additional butt feel...

• Praise 1

Supersonic
On 7/8/2024 at 10:52 AM, Kklee said:

IMHO.

Vehicle cost + fuel cost + road tax 
Toyota Altis - $191,108 + $7,920 = $199,028
BYD Seal - $197,488 + $15,020 =  $212,508
Toyota Prius - $212,588 + $9,760 = $222,348

Actually why compare seal with altis?

Seal hp even the lower version is 300+?

Altis?  Not even 150?

Not to mention other spec n functions.  

• Praise 1

6th Gear
On 7/8/2024 at 11:31 AM, Beregond said:

Actually why compare seal with altis?

Seal hp even the lower version is 300+?

Altis?  Not even 150?

Not to mention other spec n functions.  

IMHO.
You must look back at previous posts - got Altis, Seal and Prius.
I also don't know why compare with Altis. 

• Haha! 1

6th Gear
On 7/8/2024 at 11:17 AM, L23 said:

If one is simply looking at the number, the answer is pretty straightforward.

However, I would rather top up another 20k (~10% of the total cost) to get the latest technology + and additional butt feel...

IMHO.
Agree.  Car already expensive, need to get that one can enjoy. 

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

@therock @therock 

Did not consider the cost of maintenance (battery or yearly servicing etc). I was only trying to find out why EV are generally priced higher and do I get value for the additional paid for similar spec of cars

Supersonic
On 7/11/2024 at 7:57 PM, balshankar said:

@therock @therock 

Did not consider the cost of maintenance (battery or yearly servicing etc). I was only trying to find out why EV are generally priced higher and do I get value for the additional paid for similar spec of cars

IMO, that's a very important cost to factor in.

• Praise 1

Someone once told me if you're going to hold a car for the full 10 year CoE life, simply add $10k per year for a total of $100k to operate and maintain a vehicle here in Singapore. This is for an ICE vehicle.

Surprisingly close to what Budget Direct insurance came up with here: https://www.budgetdirect.com.sg/car-insurance/research/car-running-costs-singapore

Also close to what Dollars and Sense calculated to be: https://dollarsandsense.sg/cost-owning-car-singapore/

Turbocharged
On 7/5/2024 at 9:10 PM, Kklee said:

IMHO.
Hybrid rough definition is combine 2 or more things.
AFIAK,  Toyota HEV can run on battery with engine off and not as per what you describe as cannot drive on electricity alone.
Toyota PHEV basically is the same thing just that bigger battery and charger.

Toyota's full hybrids can be driven based on battery alone, but driving in Pure EV mode has limitations such as speed and distance. Typically, speed faster than 50 km/h or more than 1 km driven distance petrol engine kicks in. The car helps you to save petrol by going electric in the driving cycle which the petrol engine is most inefficient (moving off from a standstill, idling at the traffic lights etc)

PHEV if you charge the battery fully, its makes the car more usable in pure EV mode. Distances are typically 50km at least on a full charge and speed can be up to 130km/h. So if you have a charger access both at home and office, it can be pure EV commute both ways. 

• Praise 5

On 7/12/2024 at 3:41 PM, Terence2112 said:

Not sure what’s the point of a PHEV. It’s jack of all trades but master of none.

With a PHEV, one gets to experience the EV thrill without the range anxiety of having to find or fight over a charger with the neighbor when the battery eventually runs out. 

Waiting for BYD's Sealion 6 to come over to Singapore - it's already on it's way down under to the land of Oz.  

Currently the costs of a PHEV sits between ICE and BEV vehicle. China's factory over capacity may change the equation going forward. 

• Praise 2

6th Gear
On 7/12/2024 at 11:32 AM, Lethalstrike said:

Toyota's full hybrids can be driven based on battery alone, but driving in Pure EV mode has limitations such as speed and distance. Typically, speed faster than 50 km/h or more than 1 km driven distance petrol engine kicks in. The car helps you to save petrol by going electric in the driving cycle which the petrol engine is most inefficient (moving off from a standstill, idling at the traffic lights etc)

PHEV if you charge the battery fully, its makes the car more usable in pure EV mode. Distances are typically 50km at least on a full charge and speed can be up to 130km/h. So if you have a charger access both at home and office, it can be pure EV commute both ways. 

IMHO.
For my hybrid,  at times, it is challenging to always get what you describe. 🤣 Usually at speed above 50km/h, I use use the EV mode to cruise. 🤣

Turbocharged
On 7/8/2024 at 9:01 AM, kobayashiGT said:

EV will be cheaper in the long run, as there is no servicing also.

but that is if you drive the car for 10 years straight. if you are selling an ev down the road, maybe the resale won't be that good. 

I was checking out Polestar.. it seems Wearnes stated servicing intervals. I suppose battery warranty will be voided if the owner don't go back, for expensive wiper change and brake fluid top up?

• Haha! 2

Internal Moderator
On 7/13/2024 at 11:08 AM, Solar said:

I was checking out Polestar.. it seems Wearnes stated servicing intervals. I suppose battery warranty will be voided if the owner don't go back, for expensive wiper change and brake fluid top up?

wiper also mandatory to change at wearnes? woah. If wiper kenna stolen how? hahaha. warranty void?

• Haha! 4

Turbocharged
(edited)

For Polestar if I'm not mistaken, its pay as your service scheme. Meaning the servicing intervals are not part of the purchase package, so you want to go back service or not its up to you. Every 30,000km or 2 years whichever comes first is their recommended service interval, same as my Volvo EV (though my car is inclusive of 5 years servicing). 

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Praise 4

3rd Gear

u dare buy Polestar, you should check out their shareprice ....

very very very scary.... 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2

Never learn lesson w ur jag ah😂😂

• Haha! 4

Turbocharged
On 7/15/2024 at 10:57 AM, rickosw said:

u dare buy Polestar, you should check out their shareprice ....

very very very scary.... 

Going to get delisted from NASDAQ soon 😅

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1