Government SMSes to show ‘gov.sg’

Kb27

Supersonic

to beat scam and spam..

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/government-smses-will-show-govsg-as-the-sender-id-from-july-1

Government SMSes will show ‘gov.sg’ as the sender ID from July 1

240613-SOCIAL-azsms_2.jpg?VersionId=N.yM

SINGAPORE - From July 1, virtually all SMSes sent by government agencies in Singapore will have a single sender ID, as part of efforts to make it easier for the public to identify authentic government text messages.

Such SMSes will show “gov.sg” as the sender ID instead of individual government agencies, such as “MOH” for the Ministry of Health or “Iras” for the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore.

Besides the gov.sg sender ID, every text message will begin with the full name of the agency that sent it and end with a note stating that it is an automated message sent by the Singapore Government, to indicate that recipients should not reply to it.

Over a two-week period beginning on June 18, government agencies will gradually begin to send messages using the gov.sg sender ID, with all messages displaying the new ID from July 1.

There are exceptions, though: Text messages from the Defence and Home Affairs ministries about national service matters and emergency services will have different sender IDs.

The initiative was developed by Open Government Products (OGP), an independent division of the Government Technology Agency that builds technology for the public good. The effort aims to safeguard people here against government official impersonation scams.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Hypersonic

Means change to this cannot scam and spam liao?

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

I fail to see the difference of how scammers can be deterred by just a change of the text reflecting the sender, from "MOH" or "IRAS" to "gov.sg". In fact, there's that beautiful crystal clear infographic outlining to scammers exactly how to copy the new message format [laugh]

And it still does not quite solve the problem for the elderly who are not proficient in english.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Shocked 1

Supersonic

gov..sg. 

.gov.sg.

gov.sg..

govv.sg.

gov.ssg.

You are welcome scammer...:XD:

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 7

Supersonic
On 6/13/2024 at 11:54 PM, Sosaria said:

I fail to see the difference of how scammers can be deterred by just a change of the text reflecting the sender, from "MOH" or "IRAS" to "gov.sg". In fact, there's that beautiful crystal clear infographic outlining to scammers exactly how to copy the new message format [laugh]

And it still does not quite solve the problem for the elderly who are not proficient in english.

Scammers will now send with MOH.gov.sg and IRAS.gov.sg  ? 😁

now, that would be confusing.

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged

How difficult is it to set up a website to scam people? If each time anyone received such a scam email or message, they forward to a government linked company, how difficult to hack it, crush it and take it down? Don't we have better equipment and people than scammers? 

Hypersonic
On 6/14/2024 at 10:56 AM, inlinesix said:

My alibaba account kenna hacked.

I change the password to KNNCCBHACKER

😂

consider  CaoNiNiangDeMeiYouMiMa [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
On 6/14/2024 at 12:09 AM, Vratenza said:

gov..sg. 

.gov.sg.

gov.sg..

govv.sg.

gov.ssg.

You are welcome scammer...:XD:

@real.gov.sg

• Haha! 3

Supersonic
On 6/14/2024 at 11:01 AM, Tianmo said:

you need to add a symbol and number for added security:

C@oN1N1@ngDeMe1YouM1M@

hack this Mr Hacker:XD:

• Haha! 2

Supersonic
On 6/14/2024 at 11:01 AM, Tianmo said:

I doubt you will remember your account if have not been using after 3 days later unless jot it down somewhere..... :slow:

:XD:

Turbocharged

Not long after government announced they would auto-block scam calls starting with +65, the scam calls started coming in without the +65.

How long will it take the scammers to add .gov.sg to their SMS, I wonder?

Supersonic

I received a SMS from gov.sg on 14 Jun 2024

Anyone else got it ?

govsg.jpg

Supersonic
On 6/14/2024 at 7:51 PM, macrosszero said:

Not long after government announced they would auto-block scam calls starting with +65, the scam calls started coming in without the +65.

How long will it take the scammers to add .gov.sg to their SMS, I wonder?

Scammers are probably looking at ways to fool people right now.

Turbocharged
On 6/16/2024 at 2:37 PM, Kb27 said:

I received a SMS from gov.sg on 14 Jun 2024

Anyone else got it ?

govsg.jpg

Yes

Turbocharged

If I receive the message with wrong name, I would have thought it is a scam and attempt to block the sender.

Malu siah Hahahaha

Admin error resulted in scam-related ‘gov.sg’ SMSes being sent to wrong recipients: Police

Source: https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/admin-error-resulted-in-scam-related-govsg-smses-being-sent-to-wrong-recipients-police

Screenshot202024-07-0120at2012.40.36E280

SINGAPORE - A new initiative to use only the gov.sg “sender ID” for SMSes from government agencies from July 1 ran into hiccups on the first day after a message from the police got some recipients’ names wrong.

On July 1, an SMS from the police under the “gov.sg” banner was sent out with a warning about the re-emergence of a fake bulk order scam, in which about 60 victims have lost at least $831,000 since April 12.

However, the messages were sent with the wrong recipient names because of an “administrative error”, said the police in response to queries.

Despite the wrong names, the anti-scam message sent out was authentic and not fake, the police added. Also, no personal data was compromised.

The police said follow-up messages were sent to those who were originally meant to receive the message, in a bid to clarify the situation. The police did not provide details on how many people were affected by the administrative error.

↡ Advertisement