Special pass of migrant worker fired over 'loan shark' harassment not extended further after last ditch appeal

SGMCF328

Turbocharged

I have been following on this case since the first news report about him being terminated by his employer over the alleged loan shark harassments.

Is it that our new newbie PM is still within probation period, not enough power to intervene? While I understand where MOM and ICA is coming from, but the authorities seems to have miss the elephant in the room!

With SPF concluding their investigation and did not find any evidence that Mr Sharif had borrowed from unlicensed moneylenders, should MOM go after his employer to review the reason for terminating his employment instead?

Btw, this Uddin Sharif is also an influencer, and is also the first migrant worker to win the Singapore Book Award for Best Non-Fiction Title, is known for raising awareness about the challenges migrant workers face living in Singapore, where he talk about the lockdown during Covid-19, as well as railing against the transport of migrant workers in the backs of lorries.

The Immigration and Checkpoints Authority and Manpower Ministry had received an appeal made on Mr Uddin Sharif's behalf by a resident in Prime Minister Lawrence Wong's constituency.

Source: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/migrant-worker-uddin-sharif-loanshark-harassment-work-pass-not-extended-ica-mom-4375816

uddin_sharif.jpg?itok=UxpXTeHh

A Bangladeshi migrant worker who was fired by his employer in March after being harassed by purported "loan sharks" will not have his Special Pass extended beyond Friday (May 31), Singapore authorities said on Thursday night.

The Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) and Ministry of Manpower (MOM) had received an appeal on Mr Uddin Sharif's behalf by a resident of Marsiling-Yew Tee GRC.

The appeal was made during a Meet-the-People session on May 29. 

"ICA and MOM have reviewed the appeal, and will not be granting an extension of Mr Sharif’s current Special Pass beyond May 31," said the authorities.

In a Facebook post on May 30, Mr Sharif said two friends from Marsiling-Yew Tee GRC had gone to see Prime Minister Lawrence Wong about his case. Mr Wong holds  Meet-the-People sessions every Wednesday.

On Friday morning, he posted pictures of himself and friends at Changi Airport's departure hall, hours after ICA and MOM said his Special Pass would not be extended.

In their statement on Thursday night, MOM and ICA reiterated the reasons previously given by the police and MOM as to why Mr Sharif's Special Pass was not extended.

They said he had been given sufficient time since the termination of his work permit on Apr 11 to look for a new job under the Temporary Job Scheme (TJS), while police investigations into the unlicensed moneylender harassment reports were ongoing.

According to MOM's website, a migrant worker required to stay in Singapore to assist in investigations can apply for a job under the TJS, although this would be subject to the ministry’s approval.

MOM and the Migrant Workers' Centre had linked him up with employment agencies to support this job search.

Upon his request. the ministry had also provided him with an email confirmation of his TJS eligibility on May 13.

"We understand that Mr Sharif had turned down job offers including working as a packer and a hotel cleaner," said ICA and MOM.

"As police investigations into the case have concluded, and Mr Sharif has not found new employment, he has to leave Singapore."

Mr Sharif's Special Pass was initially due to expire on May 24, but this was extended by three days after he requested additional time to make departure arrangements.

A further extension to May 31 for granted, "given the circumstances of his case", said ICA and MOM.

MOM and the police said previously that "extensive investigations" were conducted to identify the alleged person who had harassed Mr Sharif, his former and potential employers.

"Should Mr Sharif wish to return to Singapore for work in the future, he will have to apply afresh for a work permit based on the prevailing criteria," they added.

The police have not found any evidence that Mr Sharif had borrowed from unlicensed moneylenders.

Mr Sharif’s case had been under investigation after he filed a police report in March over the harassment he faced, which included debtor’s notes addressed to Mr Sharif at his ex-employer’s daughter’s home. 

The incident prompted his ex-employer, Hiap Seng Piling Construction, to raise the issue with the authorities. 

While Mr Sharif denied ever taking any loan, the company terminated his employment and said in the letter it was done “under police and MOM officer advice”

The police and MOM clarified at the time that this was not the case. The authorities had also said then that they had reached out to Mr Sharif “to address his concerns and offer our assistance”.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Sad 2

There could be another “undisclosed” reason I feel 

• Praise 6

5th Gear
On 5/31/2024 at 10:02 AM, RadX said:

There could be another “undisclosed” reason I feel 

ahem.....ahem....

Btw, this Uddin Sharif is also an influencer, and is also the first migrant worker to win the Singapore Book Award for Best Non-Fiction Title, is known for raising awareness about the challenges migrant workers face living in Singapore, where he talk about the lockdown during Covid-19, as well as railing against the transport of migrant workers in the backs of lorries.

• Praise 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 4

Turbocharged

Too vocal for our NK-like society, imo.

Source: https://www.straitstimes.com/life/arts/singapore-shelf-new-books-that-chronicle-the-circuit-breaker

"It's a very poor life," says Bangladeshi construction safety supervisor Md Sharif Uddin, 42.

At present, he is allowed to leave his dormitory only to go to work and, occasionally, a recreation centre.

He has published his second memoir, Stranger To My World, based on a diary he kept during the circuit breaker last year, edited by Singaporean poet Gwee Li Sui. It has already made The Straits Times bestsellers list for non-fiction.

"I can't go anywhere now, but I can write," says Sharif.

"I want to talk to people. Maybe this book can help them understand what we need, what we want, what goes on in our minds."

"Locked in four walls," he writes in one poem, Darling, "I'm getting lost/I'm getting old."

The pandemic starkly highlighted the living conditions of migrant workers here - Sharif, for instance, recalls spending seven years in a Kallang dormitory where 31 men bunked in one room and he and a hundred others bathed by dipping their mugs into a water tank.

"No privacy, no anything," he says.

Despite numerous calls to action over the past year, he is not convinced much has changed for migrant workers.

"Covid-19 has had no effect on employers," he writes. "I still have breakfast on the pavement in the morning, stale food at noon and a long wait for the lorry at the end of each workday. Everything is the same as before."

In both his books, he has railed against the transport of migrant workers in the backs of lorries.

The long-standing safety issue resurfaced in Parliament after two lorry accidents last month left two workers dead and more than 20 injured.

"If people are fined for not wearing seat belts in a car, then migrant workers who come and go in lorries without protection are not human beings," he writes. "What is the value of our lives?"

And the nail on the coffin?

He hopes his book can change the minds of readers - employers, especially - about migrant life. "If people can take my words, give solutions, I will have had a success."

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9527fnudqi4sewj92xerh

• Haha! 2

Turbocharged

Goes to show again that employees are always at the losing end in SG. Do nothing wrong also kena.

Twincharged

See his Face,most likely himself is a "Trouble-Maker".😫

• Haha! 6

Turbocharged
On 5/31/2024 at 12:35 PM, Benarsenal said:

Goes to show again that employees are always at the losing end in SG. Do nothing wrong also kena.

From the posts here, seems like he did something by talking too much.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

if it is about employability then it is the employer who decide they want to hire a candidate or not, if no one hire him then who apply the permit for him? employer can have many reasons not to renew his permit then what can MOM or ICA do?

give him free stay until someone hire him? for his case it is quite apparent that he is 'over-qualify' to many employers, just like many HR dept rejected candidates who have very colorful resume :D

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 5/31/2024 at 4:29 PM, Stratovarius said:

From the posts here, seems like he did something by talking too much.

of course lah, he is telling LTA how to do their job leh, some more from a foreigner  [laugh]

• Haha! 5

Supersonic
(edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 4:52 PM, Jman888 said:

of course lah, he is telling LTA how to do their job leh, some more from a foreigner  [laugh]

LTA won't even bother about voters, WP/EP holder? 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic

Too much of an activist liao, especially during the pandemic..

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Those migrant worker activists... please try to help locals first okie... locals already jialat jialat with CECA all coming in

Please know your priorities

EP come in want to be activist - I same advice - go back to ganges land and help your folks first.

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

Hypersonic
On 5/31/2024 at 12:35 PM, Benarsenal said:

These ppl must learn from the local.

Kpkb can liao.

Don’t be activist.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Turbocharged

Our FW's living conditions here aren't great and its rare to have someone speak up for them.

And Singapore's progress, especially in the last 20-30 years would not be possible without them.

Booting this guy out on a allegation with no proven basis.... I guess people with eyes can judge for themselves.

• Praise 5

Twincharged
(edited)

In the end, being Kay khiang on work permit only brings trouble. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

Twincharged
(edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 6:32 PM, t0y0ta said:

Those migrant worker activists... please try to help locals first okie... locals already jialat jialat with CECA all coming in

Please know your priorities

EP come in want to be activist - I same advice - go back to ganges land and help your folks first.

Don't talk about EP....... remember, even a PR pilot can be stripped of the status, lost job, kicked out.

Come here, can earn and build good life in their home country, don't stir stir. 

Like my former boss favourite phrase, "the door is always open". (Not his door horrr, THE door) [laugh]

Edited by Sosaria
  • Haha! 5

Twincharged
(edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 6:49 PM, inlinesix said:

These ppl must learn from the local.

Kpkb can liao.

Don’t be activist.

The moment they try to "organized" a group to lobby this and that, finish liao. Don't say foreigner, even a local will get into trouble. This fellow don't really want to stay for work; he turned down job offers. 

What he wants is to be influencer for FW here and an activist. Why labour when he can do senang job on computer in aircon room?

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 7:21 PM, Sosaria said:

The moment they try to "organized" a group to lobby this and that, finish liao. Don't say foreigner, even a local will get into trouble. This fellow don't really want to stay for work; he turned down job offers. 

What he wants is to be influencer for FW here and an activist. Why labour when he can do senang job on computer in aircon room?

How can he do Senang Job when no employer employ him?
He has more to lose but he still “voice” it out.

Local kpkb nia 

Edited by inlinesix
↡ Advertisement