MOH to add restrictions on issuing MCs after feedback on doctors giving them excessively

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Screenshot-2024-05-12-at-11.54.13.jpeg

Source: https://mothership.sg/2024/05/moh-tightens-rules-on-mcs/

The Ministry of Health (MOH) wants to tighten its rules on issuing medical certificates (MCs) amidst concerns that doctors are giving them out too freely.

This comes after the ministry received feedback regarding the excessive issuance of MCs following outpatient medical service consultations, and that some MCs were given for non-medical reasons.

MOH is currently seeking feedback from doctors on a proposal to amend the Healthcare Services Act to tighten the conditions for issuing MCs, the ministry said in a circular sent to doctors on Apr. 22, seen by Mothership.

The allegations

The ministry pointed out that particularly in the context of teleconsultations, MCs had been issued solely based on patients' self-reported reasons for consultation without any proper assessment by a medical practitioner if there were such conditions that warranted an MC.

"MCs were issued when patients mentioned that they had just wanted a certification to skip work or school, but they were not sick," MOH said.

MCs were also repeatedly issued to the same patients without referring them for physical consultations for further assessments to check if they were indeed unwell.

Proposed regulations

The ministry intends to impose a requirement on doctors to include their name and medical council registration number on every MC issued.

In addition, any doctor found advertising or allowing the practice that the issuance of MCs could be "anonymised" would be breaching this regulation.

A breach in regulation may result in the revoking of the medical practitioner's license.

The ministry may also conduct inspections or audits, or request the relevant procedures and policies with regard to the remote provision of outpatient medical services. Doctors who fail to the code and guidelines may be referred to the professional watchdog for further action.

Medical practitioners who would like to provide feedback on the new requirement can email in to [email protected] by May 20.

Obligations as a doctor

MOH and the Singapore Medical Council reminded all doctors to adhere to the latter's Ethical Code and Ethical Guidelines, which state that "medical certificates must be issued to patients only on proper medical grounds arrived at through good clinical assessment”.

Signed jointly by Professor Kenneth Mak, director-general of health at MOH, and Professor Chee Yam Cheng, SMC’s president, the circular said that doctors cannot take extraneous factors into consideration when issuing MCs.

These factors include who pays for the consultation, what benefits the patients may receive or what employers' preferences may be.

"[An MC] must be made in the context of an existing patient-doctor relationship and is premised on the duty of care the doctor owes the patient arising from this patient-doctor relationship," the circular said.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Supercharged

Seems to be more of an issue with telemedicine.. hopefully the tightening won't impact the regular GPs..

Turbocharged
(edited)

Wah lau, write mc count money has been going on forever, everywhere in the world.

Even South Korea also complain more people to share the money.

Haiyah. All the nieces and nephews not so good life as the Unkers and Undies.

Sad.

Drive eBMW and  eMersaylee some more lah. Must humble... toyota.

The porsche and lancia put in my.

😁

Edited by Datsun366
  • Haha! 1

Supercharged
(edited)

Must be some people die die get must get all the MCs that they entitle for  the year.....

I last 8 years never took even one MC hor.....😁

Edited by Stary

On 5/13/2024 at 10:38 AM, Stary said:

Must be some people die die get must get all the MCs that they entitle for  the year.....

I last 4-5 years never took even one MC hor.....😁

Thot u retired?

Noob..

I never taken for last 15yrs

if I ever take will be permanent MC🪦🤣

• Haha! 3

Hypersonic

My longest MC is for wisdom tooth extraction.

Don't take any MC for small incident like flu.

Supercharged
On 5/13/2024 at 10:39 AM, RadX said:

Thot u retired?

Noob..

I never taken for last 15yrs

if I ever take will be permanent MC🪦🤣

Aiya, why u must tell people I retired....

I shy one la....😁😁🤣

• Haha! 2

On 5/13/2024 at 10:51 AM, Stary said:

Aiya, why u must tell people I retired....

I shy one la....😁😁🤣

You shy

means @Tianmo is gay

nbz..

• Haha! 3

Supercharged
On 5/13/2024 at 10:44 AM, inlinesix said:

wah jialat...........yeah, wisdom tooth one can be long....

Hypersonic
On 5/13/2024 at 10:52 AM, RadX said:

You shy

means @Tianmo is gay

nbz..

Hello hello?! -_-[laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 1

Twincharged
On 5/13/2024 at 10:44 AM, inlinesix said:

Circumcision got Attn B bo 🤔🤔🤔

Turbocharged

the MCs quantity is going to night shift blue collar working in public transport sector.

dun perform buay tio pok, work hard, increment monthly less than 2 mcd value meals..

95% all take mc as clear leave

Hypersonic

MC is 14 days of extra leave.

One staff asked HR in Nov how many days of MC they still have?

Obviously want to clear before end of year!

:D

To some MC is an ENTITLEMENT! Must finish!!

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 3

Twincharged
On 5/13/2024 at 11:26 AM, Vegas said:

the MCs quantity is going to night shift blue collar working in public transport sector.

dun perform buay tio pok, work hard, increment monthly less than 2 mcd value meals..

95% all take mc as clear leave

Generally blue-collar worker, or those who work production or shift work, will gain by taking MC. No need to come to work and someone else got to take over.

But for white-collar or knowledge worker, whether you MC or not, it's still your work and your deliverable. If you MC rest at home, then the work pile up and wait for you.

Last time, some organisation used to "punish" staff who took too many MC by cutting back their benefits. But then covid came, and with more "woke" and gen-z working culture, this practice was frowned upon. Not to mention you don't wanna spread covid in the workplace.

So these organisations had to tolerate more MCs, and then came tele-consult, which was the straw that broke the camel's back. It triggered a whole flood of MC disrupting productivity and manpower scheduling, so now finally some action is being taken.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
On 5/13/2024 at 12:38 PM, RadX said:

To some MC is an ENTITLEMENT! Must finish!!

Totally agree, and I notice these are usually non management or key position holders. My receptionist, every long weekend sure MC on Mondays, without fail. Within my contacts, I also notice that Malaysian girls top the list. -_-[laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 5

Supersonic
On 5/13/2024 at 10:38 AM, Stary said:

I last 8 years never took even one MC hor.....😁

The company very heng already hor. Just take MC entitlement of 30 days...  :=B:

I know one colleague of mine not only finished MC, also include 60 days of Hospitalisation Leave hor....  :omg:

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2