How Much Do You Know About ABS?

Carbon82

OK, I am not referring to Anti-lock Braking System but Auto-Brewery Syndrome. I didn't know about it until I read the following news. Have to say he is damn sway to be caught 3 times for drunk driving, when he is actually did not consume any alcohol.

Belgian man whose body brews alcohol beats drink-driving rap

BRUSSELS: A Belgian man with a very rare metabolic condition that causes his body to produce alcohol had a drink-driving charge against him dismissed in court on Monday (Apr 23).

The 40-year-old proved that he has auto-brewery syndrome (ABS) which causes carbohydrates in his stomach to be fermented, increasing ethanol levels in his blood and resulting in signs of intoxication.

His lawyer, Anse Ghesquiere, confirmed the unusual case to AFP after Belgian media reported on it.

She said scientists believe that the number of ABS cases in the world is underestimated. Currently, only some 20 people globally have been officially diagnosed with the condition.

She stressed that her client – whose identity was not given – gave evidence of his ABS after tests run by three doctors.

The court recognised that factors unforeseen by law applied to the man's case and acquitted him of the charge.

He ended up in court after police in April 2022 pulled his vehicle over and registered him giving a breathalyser reading of 0.91ml of alcohol per litre, and again a month later when his breath contained 0.71ml.

The legal limit in Belgium is 0.22ml per litre of air exhaled, which corresponds to a blood alcohol level of 0.5g per litre.

Previously, in 2019, the man had received a fine and a driving licence suspension despite protesting that he had not drunk any alcohol.

He was apparently unaware of his syndrome before his latest run-in with police.

Ghesquiere said she and her client were awaiting formal notification of the acquittal. She noted that the prosecution service had a month to lodge an appeal if it wished to do so.

The man meanwhile was following a carbohydrate-light diet to avoid his stomach producing more alcohol.

I can imagine people like our @mersaylee will be secretly wishing to have this ABS, so that he will not longer be subjected to wife's control on his alcohol intake. But hor he will soon look like the one in his avatar. :D :D 

FB_IMG_1703660008365.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 14

Turbocharged
(edited)

Think of how much money you’d save when you make and consume your own alcohol - the food you eat literally determines if you get rice wine, Shiraz or single malt whiskey!

Edited by macrosszero
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

On 4/24/2024 at 5:48 PM, Tohto said:

So will feel drunk or not 😅

酒不醉人自醉

Ownself song can already. :D

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Hypersonic
On 4/24/2024 at 5:58 PM, Carbon82 said:

酒不醉人自醉

Ownself song can already. :D

醉过。。。 罪过。。。干杯 🙏😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Hypersonic
On 4/24/2024 at 6:36 PM, Freeder said:

I only know ATB….

I thought you have in-depth understanding 

🤭

Hypersonic
On 4/24/2024 at 6:56 PM, inlinesix said:

I thought you have in-depth understanding 

🤭

Here u go,, ATBCBJHJ 🤭

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged

My version was Han Sup Lo sitting selling his cow milk.

😆

Dunno who the muscular guy is...

Supersonic
On 4/24/2024 at 3:05 PM, Carbon82 said:

OK, I am not referring to Anti-lock Braking System but Auto-Brewery Syndrome. I didn't know about it until I read the following news. Have to say he is damn sway to be caught 3 times for drunk driving, when he is actually did not consume any alcohol.

Belgian man whose body brews alcohol beats drink-driving rap

BRUSSELS: A Belgian man with a very rare metabolic condition that causes his body to produce alcohol had a drink-driving charge against him dismissed in court on Monday (Apr 23).

The 40-year-old proved that he has auto-brewery syndrome (ABS) which causes carbohydrates in his stomach to be fermented, increasing ethanol levels in his blood and resulting in signs of intoxication.

His lawyer, Anse Ghesquiere, confirmed the unusual case to AFP after Belgian media reported on it.

She said scientists believe that the number of ABS cases in the world is underestimated. Currently, only some 20 people globally have been officially diagnosed with the condition.

She stressed that her client – whose identity was not given – gave evidence of his ABS after tests run by three doctors.

The court recognised that factors unforeseen by law applied to the man's case and acquitted him of the charge.

He ended up in court after police in April 2022 pulled his vehicle over and registered him giving a breathalyser reading of 0.91ml of alcohol per litre, and again a month later when his breath contained 0.71ml.

The legal limit in Belgium is 0.22ml per litre of air exhaled, which corresponds to a blood alcohol level of 0.5g per litre.

Previously, in 2019, the man had received a fine and a driving licence suspension despite protesting that he had not drunk any alcohol.

He was apparently unaware of his syndrome before his latest run-in with police.

Ghesquiere said she and her client were awaiting formal notification of the acquittal. She noted that the prosecution service had a month to lodge an appeal if it wished to do so.

The man meanwhile was following a carbohydrate-light diet to avoid his stomach producing more alcohol.

I can imagine people like our @mersaylee will be secretly wishing to have this ABS, so that he will not longer be subjected to wife's control on his alcohol intake. But hor he will soon look like the one in his avatar. :D :D 

FB_IMG_1703660008365.jpg

For the sake of the other road users, shouldn't he be banned from driving for life then.... 😆

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

I have the opposite problem.

My body turns alcohol into water automatically.

:D

On 4/25/2024 at 12:41 AM, Vratenza said:

For the sake of the other road users, shouldn't he be banned from driving for life then.... 😆

A valid concern from safety perspective and I fully support it on legal ground.

From humanity perspective, if this guy has been living with ABS without exhibiting any impairment to his thinking, behavior or affecting his daily routine, he might have some self adjustment capability, so is a ban fair for him?

Or a better way is to rely on the In-Car Breathalyzer. 

The Mandatory In-Car Breathalyzer Is Only a Few Years Away

Starting in a few years, all new vehicles sold in the U.S. must have the ability to passively detect when drivers are under the influence of alcohol. If they are drunk, the system has to immobilize the car. If this sounds a bit sudden, it actually isn’t. According to Automotive News, the rule was hidden in the depths of President Biden’s $1 trillion Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act from late 2021, but by next year a final rule must be issued on the new regulation.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

wah ...i thought got expert here on acrylonitrile butadiene styrene

😅

• Haha! 2

Supersonic
On 4/25/2024 at 9:55 AM, Carbon82 said:

From humanity perspective, if this guy has been living with ABS without exhibiting any impairment to his thinking, behavior or affecting his daily routine, he might have some self adjustment capability, so is a ban fair for him?

Starting in a few years, all new vehicles sold in the U.S. must have the ability to passively detect when drivers are under the influence of alcohol. If they are drunk, the system has to immobilize the car. If this sounds a bit sudden, it actually isn’t. According to Automotive News, the rule was hidden in the depths of President Biden’s $1 trillion Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act from late 2021, but by next year a final rule must be issued on the new regulation.

my concern is he is already manifesting the effects of the alcohol intoxication:

"The 40-year-old proved that he has auto-brewery syndrome (ABS) which causes carbohydrates in his stomach to be fermented, increasing ethanol levels in his blood and resulting in signs of intoxication."

And the fact that he had been pulled over multiple times...I don't think police so eng to pull over someone to do breath analyzer if they did not witness the driver to be driving erratically or unsteadily..😅

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
On 4/25/2024 at 9:55 AM, Carbon82 said:

In Victoria, Aust, reinstatement of suspended license (due to DUI) requires Alcohol Interlock le.

• Praise 2

Supersonic
On 4/25/2024 at 11:28 AM, kobayashiGT said:

Woah. does he piss beer? Quite cool leh. is a micro-brewery of his own. 

You can join him for happy hour lor....:XD:

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3