Hyundai Santa Fe / Kia Sorento 2024

thebestbees

Just saw advertisement about the 2024 Santa Fe coming up, anyone registered interest for the sneak preview too? 

On the other hand, heard from KIA SA that the Sorento may be coming out this June/july. 

↡ Advertisement

Sadly both the Sorento and Santa Fe weren't available for viewing over the weekend Car expo. Sante Fe looks very very similar to Defender. It'll be intriguing to check it out.

How do you register for interest?

1st Gear

Santa Fe debuting on 20th May, available for viewing but not test drive.  

• Praise 2

@Kiroskyz thanks ! I received the pricing as well too! 

they are bringing in 2 variant, a base model and the calligraphy model. Price is starting at $259,999 and for the calligraphy model it is at $279,999. With some freebies and vouchers “ now “ .. 

TBH quite disappointed at the pricing, around 20% premium compared to previous model ( factoring in the change of COE prices too ) 

• Praise 1

1st Gear

Yup, it's really high considering it's a pre-launch price. Prices will increase more once it's launched, probably after homologation. 

• Shocked 1

5th Gear

It's a refundable 10k deposit if you want to "reserve" a spot, with availability from June/July depending on colour choice.  Test drives likely to start around June after homologation.  Price is quite high, though I would say the newer model has a better equipment list than the previous version as well, with Hyundai trying to take the car upper market.  

I had expected the facelift Kia Sorento to be out first, because it's a facelift version and not a brand-new model.  But the Kia SA have said that it won't be until late-Q3 or Q4 that it'll arrive.  

While I think the Sorento is the better-looking car, I sense the Santa Fe is a better overall car, given they sit on the same platform and the latter is a brand-new model (saving for any reliability issues).  Not to mention that C&C tends to bring in dumbed down specifications of the car, missing some of the cooler features.  I was pleasantly surprised that Komoco actually brought in a fairly well specced car.  It's missing a few niceties (e.g. bose stereo, massage seats, digital key), but other things like the rear view camera, electric adjustable steering column and two prong power socket, were a nice surprise.  There's also pointless things like heating seating on all four seats and heated steering wheel.

• Praise 2

(edited)

@GTO-1 Komoco brought in the lowest spec and the highest specs right ? Iirc the lower trim has no 360 camera ?  Was surprised c&c didn’t bring in sorento too, because there were a lot of “ rumours “ about sorento coming in already back in Jan 2025, maybe komoco just wanted to undercut c&c and get the first movers advantage here 

Edited by thebestbees
  • Praise 1

1st Gear

The lowest spec doesn't have the roof rail too and a much smaller cluster as opposed to the highest spec, not to mention missing a lot of other options. Priced too high at 260k. I wonder if Sorento would be more reasonable. 

• Praise 2

@Kiroskyz sorento will probably price their higher specs in between 260-280k and their lower spec just slightly below 260k… “ thanks “ to komoco’s pricing they can price it at premium. No reason to reduce their profit margins 

5th Gear
(edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 9:04 PM, thebestbees said:

@GTO-1 Komoco brought in the lowest spec and the highest specs right ? Iirc the lower trim has no 360 camera ?  Was surprised c&c didn’t bring in sorento too, because there were a lot of “ rumours “ about sorento coming in already back in Jan 2025, maybe komoco just wanted to undercut c&c and get the first movers advantage here 

The "low" spec isn't too bad.  But, yes, no 360 camera, rear facing camera etc.  But still has 20 inch rims etc.  The salesperson was saying that they expect to sell more top spec (Calligraphy) versions than the lower spec.  They only have the Calligraphy version available for viewing.  It's also "private viewing", so you can't really stroll up to look at it without an appointment.  Curiously they have the car in the Ferrari section of Komoco building.  Viewings started last Saturday.

I'm also surprised the Sorento didn't come in earlier, since it's only a facelift.  It's already launched in Australia, whereas the Santa Fe hasn't launched in Aus yet.  So Komoco must've been aggressive to get allocation for Singapore.  So far they have about 30 units allocated for June/July, assuming they get homologation.  What I found funny is that most people are going for white or grey, so the waiting time for those is through to October now.  The actual colours (green, blue, orange) have very low allocations, but very few people are choosing them, so you can get them sooner.  Also interesting that the VES rating on the car is neutral B.  Even though it's a hybrid.

I would've preferred the Sorento, since I prefer the external look.  But C&C are now saying Q4 release.  Even Sgcarmart was saying it was originally slated for  a Q2 release, so it's clearly slipped.  Objectively the Santa Fe is a newer/better car, since it has the latest features.  It's also more practical, with more space etc. Truthfully, both Sorento and Santa Fe likely won't be big sellers in SG, since the price point puts it in line with lower end BMW, Mercedes and Audi models.  For example the Merc GLB is a good $30k cheaper and we know most S'preans prefer the badge over the actual car.

So I don't expect the first mover advantage really makes much of a difference in sales.  I also don't think C&C will bring different versions of the Sorento, because allocation is so difficult.  In Australia, it was near impossible to get a hybrid Sorento with a 1+ year wait.  Also knowing C&C, the spec of the car will be pretty barebones.  I expect 17 inch rims, no rear video mirror, no auto park etc. But I also expect that because they want to achieve VES A2 rating, so the car will come cheaper than the Santa Fe.  That's what they did with the pre-facelift.

The only one thing I will miss is the Kia Connect remote app, which is pretty cool.  Komoco don't look like they will bring in Bluelink for non-electric cars.  

Komoco is also offering a early bird offer for any people that reserve now (refundable deposit).  It's not bad offer and includes 10 years of servicing, $2k cash discount and other vouchers ($1k taka vouchers etc).

For anyone interested, I've attached some pictures of the show car.  What's really interesting is there are extra vents above the louves on the front grill of the car, which is not present on any other Calligraphy models globally.  The American XRT model has something similar, but not exactly the same.  Must be for cooling due to SG's hot weather.

IMG-20240519-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20240519-WA0004.jpg

Edited by GTO-1
  • Praise 6

1st Gear

Thanks for the details @GTO-1. Nice to see some photos too. Did they offer extra discount when you view it or they stick to the price strictly?

Imagine the COE drops more towards year end and your allocation comes then, you'll feel the disadvantage of ITP purchase.

5th Gear
On 5/23/2024 at 10:37 PM, Kiroskyz said:

Thanks for the details @GTO-1. Nice to see some photos too. Did they offer extra discount when you view it or they stick to the price strictly?

Imagine the COE drops more towards year end and your allocation comes then, you'll feel the disadvantage of ITP purchase.

It's part of the early bird package the discount.  To be fair their early bird package is reasonable.  About $5k in cash and voucher discounts, and 10 year servicing.  If I decide to move forward, I'll see what else I can get,  but no point negotiating when we haven't even driven the car and made a decision on what to do.

Always hard to say about COE. The COE is expected to drop end over the next year, but equally COE is supposed to drop now too, but it's been creeping up in the past few exercises.

Since I'm trading in a 5yo car, the high COE benefits the trade-in value.  If I wait until the COE is low (which is who knows when?), then my trade-in value will be proportionally lower.  So it's all relative.  Besides, if I decide to move forward, the allocation I have is for June/July, and the sales person committed that the price isn't firm yet.  The management may adjust the price downwards based on the next COE exercises.  Pretty confident that's BS, but at least it sounds good. 

@GTO-1 VES banding B for Santa Fe could be due to its huge rims at 20 inch. Yes it’s a much practical car, in with u that the sorento definitely looks better, and it has a proper “ panoramic “ sunroof. The Santa Fe’s sunroof just feels weird because it’s not 1 whole piece and it’s broken up into 2 section. Even IF sorento gets into VES A2 it will only be with a $5k rebate. Should still expect the Santa Fe to be around $10k more expensive than a facelift model. C&C should be happy that komoco is pricing the Santa Fe at 260k and 280k, now they have a healthy margin to “ plan “ ahead for the incoming sorento. 

3rd Gear
(edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 8:45 PM, GTO-1 said:

The only one thing I will miss is the Kia Connect remote app, which is pretty cool. 

Recently bought KIA NIRO don’t come with KIA Connect Lite as the sales told us that there is issue with it so new KIA since March 2024 don’t come with it for now until issues is resolved, when exactly they don’t know.

Edited by Fellows
↡ Advertisement