Battle of the 2000km range PHEVs

Tianmo

Hypersonic

Did i mention that the day is near and that if the rest are not careful, PRC cars coming into PHEV from full EVs are going to hit them hard. 

Expect more China brands coming into this segment with longer and longer ranges. 

Now i am excited. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

https://carnewschina.com/2024/03/28/geely-and-byd-claim-2000-km-range-for-phev-systems/

https://carnewschina.com/2024/03/29/live-chery-challenge-2000-km-range-in-a-phev/

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5
  • Haha! 2

Turbocharged

Actually how much range is too much? Because if you were carting around that much petrol before you actually used it, part of the consumption goes to carrying around excess weight. Of course, the simple solution is to carry only as much fuel to match the availability of petrol stations in your particular station but still......

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
On 4/1/2024 at 5:57 AM, Beanoyip said:

It'll come a day where BEVs will have 1000+km range as well..

The Xiaomi SU7 pro already claimed a CLTC range of 830km, not far from from the 1000km mark, so yah the day is near. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)
On 3/31/2024 at 9:19 PM, Macrosszero said:

Actually how much range is too much? Because if you were carting around that much petrol before you actually used it, part of the consumption goes to carrying around excess weight. Of course, the simple solution is to carry only as much fuel to match the availability of petrol stations in your particular station but still......

The tank capacitiy will still be 50L to 70L, shoulnt be too much.  They might be able to reduce the tank further to save on weight even, imagine if the range is reduced to 1000km, then the tank size will be halfed.   Good thing about PHEV is its ability to remove range anxities. So far we have seen most Jap manufacuterrs have been sticking to PHEVs, guess there must be some longer term benefits or  strategy behind. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

I think any range ard 600-800 is good enough

anything more either carry too much fuel and too heavy

unless the car can carry less than 40L and hit 1000km lol

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

All sounds good and dandy. My million dollar question is, ah tiong's internal combustion engine tech can make it or not? 

I know battery and EV tech they are leading lah 😁

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
(edited)
On 4/1/2024 at 8:57 AM, Ct3833 said:

The tank capacitiy will still be 50L to 70L, shoulnt be too much.  They might be able to reduce the tank further to save on weight even, imagine if the range is reduced to 1000km, then the tank size will be halfed.   Good thing about PHEV is its ability to remove range anxities. So far we have seen most Jap manufacuterrs have been sticking to PHEVs, guess there must be some longer term benefits or  strategy behind. 

No no you want a big tank so we can top up 1/4 of a very big tank, making it worthwhile to pump in JB.... 😆

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Haha! 5

Supersonic

I think 600-700km range is good enough for a city state like SG where EV chargers are almost everywhere now and will get to every car park by 2025.

Not really watching range but price. Hope the price war in Tiong country will bring down EV prices to those of ICE soon.  

Hypersonic
On 4/1/2024 at 12:49 PM, Volvobrick said:

No no you want a big tank so we can top up 1/4 of a very big tank, making it worthwhile to pump in JB.... 😆

Like g-wagen 100L huh
🤭

Hypersonic
On 4/1/2024 at 10:48 AM, Lethalstrike said:

All sounds good and dandy. My million dollar question is, ah tiong's internal combustion engine tech can make it or not? 

I know battery and EV tech they are leading lah 😁

when you cannot accept, smlj also no good. when you can accept, smlj also is ok one lah. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement