media freedom, censorship and cotton sheep...

Wind30

Turbocharged
(edited)

I watched this video yesterday... It is supposed to be a video where kids can have a candid conversation with Minister chan. At the end, Kaylea mentioned she has seen minister before in the cotton sheep video. Minister said it was ok to make mistake as long as one don't repeat it.

This morning, I found the clip reuploaded with the section removed..... Why?

1) is it because of self censorship by CNA? Is there a need for it? was the minister embarrassed about his mistake? Did CNA consider how Kaylea might feel when she realised CNA posted her commented and then cut it away?

I feel this looks very bad either on CNA or minister. The original clip really wasn't very bad, in fact I thought it is worse that they censored it. 

I hope our media has enough freedom to post comments about cotton sheep... honestly it wasn't really that big a deal. The censorship (self?) is far worse....

Edited by Wind30
↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 6

Hypersonic

Mistake made...learned...dont repeat...tada...should had censored the first time round...😁

• Haha! 2

Turbocharged
On 3/30/2024 at 9:48 AM, mersaylee said:

Mistake made...learned...dont repeat...tada...should had censored the first time round...😁

Ya lor… want to censor just do it the first time round. Not obvious at all…. 

but it really does not make sense to censor as the original clip wasn’t that bad… I thought minister handled it very well… he did not look pissed or anything when the kid brought it up. 

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

Exactly. It's fine and perfectly normal to acknowledge past mistakes. Hiding it away in denial makes it worse.

I think the younger generation are getting better at this but SG still has a long way to go.

Edited by Benarsenal

Turbocharged
On 3/30/2024 at 12:10 PM, Wind30 said:

Ya lor… want to censor just do it the first time round. Not obvious at all…. 

but it really does not make sense to censor as the original clip wasn’t that bad… I thought minister handled it very well… he did not look pissed or anything when the kid brought it up. 

That's self-censorship for you. Actually the VIP being interviewed is ok one, but there's always overzealous underlings and bootlickers exercising their own initiative.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Supersonic
On 3/29/2024 at 4:40 PM, Wind30 said:

I watched this video yesterday... It is supposed to be a video where kids can have a candid conversation with Minister chan. At the end, Kaylea mentioned she has seen minister before in the cotton sheep video. Minister said it was ok to make mistake as long as one don't repeat it.

This morning, I found the clip reuploaded with the section removed..... Why?

1) is it because of self censorship by CNA? Is there a need for it? was the minister embarrassed about his mistake? Did CNA consider how Kaylea might feel when she realised CNA posted her commented and then cut it away?

I feel this looks very bad either on CNA or minister. The original clip really wasn't very bad, in fact I thought it is worse that they censored it. 

I hope our media has enough freedom to post comments about cotton sheep... honestly it wasn't really that big a deal. The censorship (self?) is far worse....

Totally with you there.

as i said earlier, i gave CCS some points for taking it calmly and coolly and matter of factly.  and now you say they edited it out. 

very lame.  make a mistake , admit and learn , not hid and run.

• Praise 2

Supersonic
On 3/30/2024 at 1:41 PM, Sosaria said:

That's self-censorship for you. Actually the VIP being interviewed is ok one, but there's always overzealous underlings and bootlickers exercising their own initiative.

They simply cant leave things alone.  

Turbocharged

if it is self censorship, why is cna so timid?

I really wonder what is the culture in cna like. Independent media is actually pretty important, I feel, as a country. Trust in the media is also valuable and cna is just stupid to do things like this which erodes trust. 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
On 3/30/2024 at 2:53 PM, Wind30 said:

I really wonder what is the culture in cna like. Independent media is actually pretty important, I feel, as a country. Trust in the media is also valuable and cna is just stupid to do things like this which erodes trust. 

I don't think CNA calls the shots. Otherwise the original would not have been uploaded in the first place.

Likely someone in Govt asked them to edit it after seeing.

Hypersonic
On 3/30/2024 at 3:53 PM, Wind30 said:

CNA receives govt grant. Not exactly independent.

On the other hand, CNA has to respect interviewee.

Otherwise, cannot get any interview from Govt.

On 3/30/2024 at 3:02 PM, Wind30 said:

The edited out clip posted by someone else in the other thread. 

Honestly CCS took it quite well and his response on making a mistake and not repeating it was a great teachable moment. It's a shame that his underlings were not media savvy enough to make full use of the positive narrative and turned it into another fail.

• Praise 2

Supersonic
On 3/30/2024 at 1:41 PM, Sosaria said:

U mean his grassroots ppl comprain?

↡ Advertisement