UMIDIGI mobile phone

Kb27

Supersonic

Anyone using UMIDIGI mobile phone ? How was your experience ?

It's not as well known, and seems to be a budget brand. Made in China of coz,

I was looking for a budget phone and saw Shopee flash deal UMIDIGI A9 Pro for $99.

Then found Amazon selling A11 Pro for $87, but it was for one color Frost Grey. Mist blue is $223.  So I bought the $87 one. Funny way lah... Amazon pricing. 😁

https://www.amazon.sg/gp/product/B09FDRJ5HS/

Hopefully, it's not as bad as my other cheapo Xiaomi, Redmi, Poco phone.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic

That's one damn big phone.

Any company that cannot get their own spec right is a big red flag.

:D

Mounting Hardware:‎    Adapter

Number of items:     ‎1

Standing screen display size‎:   6.8 Feet

Display Type:   ‎LCD

Optical Sensor Resolution:   ‎24 MP

• Haha! 3

Turbocharged

Do share your experiences using it. A good option for old folks that only use it to make calls, receive messages and MCF. 😆

(edited)

It's on Android 11 which is 3 generations ago. Cheap yes security zero. If want to buy purely as "senior citizen phone" then those Nokia phone with number pads are more secured as no apps to hack inside. 

I would argue that Xiaomi is a better choice as their phones are affordable and at worst one generation Android ago. 

Edited by Jellandross
  • Haha! 1

On 3/22/2024 at 10:29 AM, Kb27 said:

Anyone using UMIDIGI mobile phone ? How was your experience ?

It's not as well known, and seems to be a budget brand. Made in China of coz,

I was looking for a budget phone and saw Shopee flash deal UMIDIGI A9 Pro for $99.

Then found Amazon selling A11 Pro for $87, but it was for one color Frost Grey. Mist blue is $223.  So I bought the $87 one. Funny way lah... Amazon pricing. 😁

https://www.amazon.sg/gp/product/B09FDRJ5HS/

Hopefully, it's not as bad as my other cheapo Xiaomi, Redmi, Poco phone.

i did try some cheapo phones when the kiddos were very smol, but in hindsight i regretted it. 

btw cheapo in my dict means it's even lower spec'd than the lowest redmi/oppo/vivo. the umidigi you are eyeing for use dunno what processor (A-series??), which i suspect will be even slower than the slowest mediatek

if you're buying for your maid, can lah. for your family (kids, grandparents), maybe don't lor. kids these days all know how to install games and whatnot...they will throw the phone when it cant play them (if it can be installed at all hahah)

if you want some advice, get Y series from vivo. decent performance, reasonably priced. used to buy lots of xiaomi, but they bricked a lot.

Supersonic
On 3/22/2024 at 4:02 PM, limpeh6969 said:

i did try some cheapo phones when the kiddos were very smol, but in hindsight i regretted it. 

btw cheapo in my dict means it's even lower spec'd than the lowest redmi/oppo/vivo. the umidigi you are eyeing for use dunno what processor (A-series??), which i suspect will be even slower than the slowest mediatek

if you're buying for your maid, can lah. for your family (kids, grandparents), maybe don't lor. kids these days all know how to install games and whatnot...they will throw the phone when it cant play them (if it can be installed at all hahah)

if you want some advice, get Y series from vivo. decent performance, reasonably priced. used to buy lots of xiaomi, but they bricked a lot.

Buying for my 5 yr old. He's downloading games furiously from Play Store after discovering how to, and playing them.

So, I'll see how it goes.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Turbocharged
On 3/22/2024 at 2:42 PM, Jellandross said:

It's on Android 11 which is 3 generations ago. Cheap yes security zero. If want to buy purely as "senior citizen phone" then those Nokia phone with number pads are more secured as no apps to hack inside. 

I would argue that Xiaomi is a better choice as their phones are affordable and at worst one generation Android ago. 

Xiaomi is a good budget brand but their latest model not so budget pricing. I usually buy 2 model numbers behind. My budget $300 +/-. Good enough phone for my own use, save money.

Supersonic
On 3/22/2024 at 4:42 PM, Kb27 said:

Buying for my 5 yr old. He's downloading games furiously from Play Store after discovering how to, and playing them.

5yrs old? Just pass hand-me-downs to him.😅

Since I never trade in my old android phones... Pre-loved phones 2 generations ago are passed down to my son to trash.

Until he hit 11yrs old, I "upgraded" him to a used iphone X last year and he is still using it without any issues. Just make sure to buy a good rugged protective case and screen protector for him. 

(edited)
On 3/22/2024 at 4:42 PM, Kb27 said:

You can setup your kid's phone with parental controls instead of unfettered access. Especially during their impressionable years.

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 2

Twincharged
On 3/22/2024 at 6:43 PM, Sosaria said:

Xiaomi is a good budget brand but their latest model not so budget pricing. I usually buy 2 model numbers behind. My budget $300 +/-. Good enough phone for my own use, save money.

How to disable the nonstop adverts in Xiaomi phone?

Supersonic
(edited)
On 3/22/2024 at 10:19 PM, Inlinefour said:

How to disable the nonstop adverts in Xiaomi phone?

Xiaomi must keep up with disabling adverts, cuz their OS is built for it, and that's how they "subsidize" the phone.

For a start, go to Settings > Passwords & Security > Authorization & Revocation > turn off "msa"

And a few other apps, look for app Settings, and turn off any "Recommendations"

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 1

Twincharged
On 3/22/2024 at 11:23 PM, Kb27 said:

Xiaomi must keep up with disabling adverts, cuz their OS is built for it, and that's how they "subsidize" the phone.

For a start, go to Settings > Passwords & Security > Authorization & Revocation > turn off "msa"

And a few other apps, look for app Settings, and turn off any "Recommendations"

my small rice don't allow me to turn off msa 😬😬😬

Supersonic

I received the UMIDIGI A11 Pro today. It came with screen protector and phone cover already installed. I just need to peel off the top cover. But the battery is flat, so I had to charge it.

Did one update. Yes, it's old, android 11, at 2021

So the interface is different. It's stock android 11, no nasty Xiaomi shxt or adverts. 

It's pretty responsive. I think it's faster than my other Redmi Note 13. A quick comparison check, the A11 loads Waze faster.

The price I bought at Amazon was $85 after paynow discount. Now it's back up to $223. I think the regular price is around $200.

If you don't mind the older android 11, I think it's a good phone, comparable to Xiaomi

• Praise 2

5th Gear
On 3/23/2024 at 10:30 PM, Kb27 said:

I received the UMIDIGI A11 Pro today. It came with screen protector and phone cover already installed. I just need to peel off the top cover. But the battery is flat, so I had to charge it.

Did one update. Yes, it's old, android 11, at 2021

So the interface is different. It's stock android 11, no nasty Xiaomi shxt or adverts. 

It's pretty responsive. I think it's faster than my other Redmi Note 13. A quick comparison check, the A11 loads Waze faster.

The price I bought at Amazon was $85 after paynow discount. Now it's back up to $223. I think the regular price is around $200.

If you don't mind the older android 11, I think it's a good phone, comparable to Xiaomi

Nice... sometime we paid for a more ex phone is for support and update. If u r not into these then it is fine.

Twincharged

You use your phone daily for your livelihood. Why not get a more stable phone and move away from all the issues. 

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

As long as not doing phone banking no security update no problem.

It's a perfectly good phone.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
On 3/24/2024 at 7:48 AM, Mkl22 said:

You use your phone daily for your livelihood. Why not get a more stable phone and move away from all the issues. 

this one is for his kid to trash around type lol.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1