Poor Worksmanship from Tyre Workshop

Comage

Twincharged
On 1/21/2024 at 2:16 PM, Sosaria said:

SE price point is on the high side. Maybe if i drive expensive marque then it would be a good choice [laugh]

The tyre shop i go to at the west side, pricing is also a little on the high side but offer free patching, no questions asked, and even ground/polish away all the curb rash from the rims the last time i did a change of tyres.

I only know of hurry and SE who grinds. 

↡ Advertisement

On 1/21/2024 at 11:45 AM, Mkl22 said:

@ComageIf it’s the shop with 4 letters then I will avoid. Did it when they once and it was enough. It’s all about speed with them. Hustle you to make a decision, hustle to get the car in and out. And bye. 

Err... It's not 4 letters but 2 letters. Opens until 1AM - which was why I chose them as I get off work late. 

I'm honestly not very particular in such workshops, but being just repainted rims, any damage or dings/kinks on the rims is very obvious and so I noticed the pattern of the damage straight away after reaching home. 

Totally understand the speed and volume part, but with zero accuracy to finish off, it just leaves a very bitter aftertaste. 

On 1/21/2024 at 2:08 PM, Starry said:

Wah,  I have never once check my rims or tyre  DOM after I change it.  This is the first time I learned that the tyre DOM should be more or less the same. But frankly, I wouldn't be too bothered if the DOM is different, as long it is the same tyre model. 

I am more concern about how the car feels after changing the tyre.  And that the tyre are fix in the right direction (for directional tyres)

However, I can understand why you are upset. This shop obviously cater for high volume and attention to details is not their priority. And I wouldn't ask them to repair back the rims even if they could just in case they damage it even more.  If it pains you so much,  go to another shop and get the rim fixed asap so that you immediately feel better.   

DOM is important because sometimes the tyres are stored under the scorching sun, and obviously the rubber starts to degrade (harden) after sitting there for extended periods of time. 

Again, just for the record that I am not a hard-to-please customer... Even if the shop gave me 4 x 04/2023 tyres, I have no issues since all are within a year of manufacture. 

But with the age gap of the tyres between the 4th week and 41st week of 2023... It just seems so weird... Because if you have stocks that are from as new as the 41st week of 2023, then why not give me all 4 of the same batch just to have me STFU? 

Why mix and match the age of my tyres until it's so glaring and apparent? 

Why use me, the customer who's buying a WHOLE SET of 4 tyres (not 1 pc), as the guinea pig to offload the last 3 pieces of your oldest stock?

• Praise 2
  • Shocked 1

Turbocharged

all four tayar fitted by the factory of my new car has 4 different DOM but all within the same year

20221013_234511.thumb.jpg.66dbfd876b91a3a78263ed4f644d6474.jpg

20221013_234811.thumb.jpg.1ea81c9fdba65f0a7c92c92e56b1bb53.jpg

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

On 1/21/2024 at 3:14 AM, Gnahp said:

cool down bro, here's my views, no offense 😁

1 - your rim new paint job is subpar, soft and easily gouged

2 - it is perfectly normal, I think you are splitting hairs here

When you said "perfectly normal" - I thought you kenna a worse-off situation than me...

but your last post - your tyres max are still within 5 weeks of each other (week 32 vs week 36).

The four tyres of mine are dated:

• Jan-2023 (Week 04)
  • Jul-2023 (Week 27)
  • Sep-2023 (Week 36)
  • Oct-2023 (Week 41)

Jan-2023 to Oct-2023 leh... you sure that's still "perfectly normal"?

The Sep and Oct tyre, I can understand... the Jul as the 3rd tyre is stretching it a little already, but add on the Jan-2023 tyre as the 4th one - that was the last straw for me that motivated me to post and share my experience here (and to call out such shit-hole/piss-poor/errant business practices).

Are there any other good Sirs around here who received 4 tyres spaced 10 months apart? Or I truly AM the only one here splitting hairs?

• Haha! 1

When I change tyre...new or old I always check DOM, threadwear...bounce them even...not happy with it I don't buy...young senior skin very thick one 😂

• Haha! 4

Turbocharged

same car

front is 3rd set

rear is 2nd set

front and rear are staggered and they wear at different rate 

front/rear set DOM almost a year apart

I am fine with it 😁

20240121_205110.thumb.jpg.86a4673cbe0b24ea959c25ae8836856a.jpg

20240121_205145.thumb.jpg.03517300ac8eee238a2db2e321521662.jpg

• Praise 3

On 1/21/2024 at 6:48 PM, mersaylee said:

When I change tyre...new or old I always check DOM, threadwear...bounce them even...not happy with it I don't buy...young senior skin very thick one 😂

U think u buying liu lian?

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 9

On 1/21/2024 at 10:36 AM, Comage said:

Unfortunately, I picked them because they served the late night crowd..

Al ah?

• Haha! 1

Im okay if tyre are made in different months but I'm not okay if my rims are scratched especially when my rims are those expensive types. 

I will still sweat when I see they use those crowbar thingy when putting on the new tyres.

• Praise 1

(edited)
On 1/21/2024 at 9:52 PM, Discoburg said:

Al ah?

I'm not here to diss anyone or "smear reputation" of the tyre workshop in question here... to me, a tyre workshop is a tyre workshop - what distinguishes one from another - is a few things:

• Price
  • Opening hours
  • Stocks
  • Worksmanship

Different people value different combinations of criteria when they send their vehicles in for a tyre job, though for me, the only criteria I valued was the opening hours.

Their worksmanship - I now got to experience it firsthand, so I wanted to share this with the good Sirs here to 1) know if my expectations should be lowered further, and along the way, to 2) warn others about what they may potentially get into when they go here for a tyre job.

Given that I stood there for at least 30mins while they worked on my vehicle, and watched the cars come in and go like a F1 pitstop on a normal weekday night... I can understand that they are a crowd-favourite. Any "whinings", "rants", "complaints" or "negative review" wouldn't work at all - it will be drowned out by the thousands and thousands of "Thumbs up! Great service!" positive reviews that they receive every week.

Initially upon speaking to the tyre mech, he did provide me with excellent advice that showcased his knowledge in tyres and rims (including identification of the worn spare part on my wheel hub assembly that required immediate replacement). But after the job was completed, I came to realise that their worksmanship leaves a lot to be desired... especially the dings on my old rims that I had previously shown (images repeated here for ease of reference):

20240121_101418.jpg

20240121_101500.jpg

As @Mkl22 had said:

On 1/21/2024 at 8:35 AM, Mkl22 said:

All I can say is want cheap which is patronize by PHV, they do volume and don’t give a shit. PHV are also mainly company owned, no one cares. 
in the end it is what it is... 

TBH - I am not fazed about the damage on the repainted rims I gotten, because I was the one who repainted the rims myself (DIY the sand-down, epoxy restore around the rim edges, 3 x primer coat layers, 3 x paint coat layers, 3 x clear coat layers for a total of 9 layers, with a post-paint cure duration of > 48hrs given to let the paint cure and settle).

So, I can easily restore it myself anytime (notwithstanding the overheads involved in such DIY jobs which don't make sense to repair just for 1 small section).

To say that the "rim repair paint job is subpar" - that was exactly what the tyre workshop mech said when I asked about the damages to the repainted rims.

"Sorry Boss, your paint cmi, it's too soft, so we gouged out a whole chunk so easily, just like that!"

was their response. Perhaps there is truth indeed in that statement they said about my DIY tyre repair job... until I saw the damage also on my old tyre rims (which were original and was never repaired before).

Unless they also meant to say that the paint on my old Konig rims was also "subpar" - which led to the damages on the spokes and the rim edges as you see in the above 2 pictures... otherwise anything they say about what "paint job being subpar" - it all stinks of excuses and trying to worm out of their responsibilities as a service provider for tyre jobs.

Edited by Comage
  • Praise 4

On 1/21/2024 at 9:27 PM, Gnahp said:

same car

front is 3rd set

rear is 2nd set

front and rear are staggered and they wear at different rate 

front/rear set DOM almost a year apart

I am fine with it 😁

Don't tell me you went to the same tyre workshop as I did...

• Haha! 4

Turbocharged
On 1/21/2024 at 11:42 PM, Comage said:

Don't tell me you went to the same tyre workshop as I did...

you encounter made me worry now

I am about to order a set of forged rims for my other car

the last thing I want is tayar shop scratching the new rims when mounting tayar

any good and careful tayar shop to recommend?

I guess those one man show tayar shop should has a lower chance to scratch the rim than those that employ a team of foreign workers

Internal Moderator

erm. I have no comment on the paint job, since is a visual imperfection, you could have spot it on the spot and ask the workshop to fix it. 

For the tyres date of manufactured, I think as long as he gives you the exact brand, you cannot fault him. 

There is no expiry date from the date of manufactured one. all tyres are made during 2023, as long as they store their tyre properly, your tyre rotation and change of tyres should start from the day you install the tyres. 

• Praise 2

On 1/22/2024 at 8:12 AM, kobayashiGT said:

erm. I have no comment on the paint job, since is a visual imperfection, you could have spot it on the spot and ask the workshop to fix it. 

For the tyres date of manufactured, I think as long as he gives you the exact brand, you cannot fault him. 

There is no expiry date from the date of manufactured one. all tyres are made during 2023, as long as they store their tyre properly, your tyre rotation and change of tyres should start from the day you install the tyres. 

Must check tread depth before send for tyre rotation.

Low power FWD car may not need to do tyre rotation during the lifetime of the tyre.

• Praise 2

On 1/22/2024 at 8:38 AM, inlinesix said:

Must check tread depth before send for tyre rotation.

Low power FWD car may not need to do tyre rotation during the lifetime of the tyre.

Or front to rear will suffice...unless staggered...

Mine after 1 year still very even...shall only rotate when I send it in for axle shalf change...

Supercharged
On 1/22/2024 at 12:10 AM, Gnahp said:

I guess those one man show tayar shop should has a lower chance to scratch the rim than those that employ a team of foreign workers

Hurry Tires at Mackenzie has my vote for sure . All my cars done there .. responsible owner with good QC before handing over your car back to you .. 

• Praise 4

Supersonic
On 1/22/2024 at 12:10 AM, Gnahp said:

Tyre shop and ws to me is like see doctor.

I dun keep changing them.

I think if u are a regular with them. Esp those smaller shop. Like 3-4 ppl. 

It's easier to build a relationship and request better service. 

• Praise 3

On 1/22/2024 at 9:00 AM, mersaylee said:

Or front to rear will suffice...unless staggered...

Mine after 1 year still very even...shall only rotate when I send it in for axle shalf change...

Whether front to rear or cross-swap, it should be done if there is big enough depth difference between front and rear.

Big enough for me is about 1mm.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1