Singapore racing movie Oversteer

On 1/15/2024 at 6:50 PM, Macrosszero said:

Honestly between Larry Chen’s recent feature on Singapore car culture and Mighty Car Mods giving a glimpse of Malaysia’s, I relate more to the latter as I’m a hands on guy rather than a rich guy, although it’s more a consequence of me not being rich:

I think this is the problem lor, everytime someone says that they are exploring SG car culture, they only focus on the fancy cars and rich people, it's too one-sided already. Which is why it feels like such a pity that when someone makes the 'first singapore racing movie' but chooses to portray the whole thing like it's another Malaysia production featuring their culture instead of our own...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

<quote>

Singapore car-themed feature film

Touted as Singapore’s first car-racing movie, Oversteer was shot in Singapore and Malaysia by Singaporean director Derrick Lui, who conceptualised the story in 2004.

This is the second local feature film directed by Lui. His debut feature film 1400, a romantic drama, won a number of awards, including best feature film at indie film festivals in Sydney and Los Angeles in 2015.

In a telephone interview with The Straits Times on Jan 10, Lui, 47, said the major car scenes were shot in Malaysia.

The locations include Bukit Bintang, an area that is home to one of the busiest roads in Kuala Lumpur, and Bukit Tinggi in Pahang, about 50km farther north, where a crucial drifting scene was shot.

<unquote>

from https://www.straitstimes.com/life/motoring/fast-lane-singapore-s-first-car-racing-film-dakar-rally-kicks-off-new-nio-et9-unveiled

so,.. actually, what's "Singapore" about it? SG director, production company, crew and actors.

i'd say it's a misconception to think it's about SG car culture.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

MITA will never approve this type of genre

same as robbery, gambling, murder, vice, corruption, etc movies

only they can do it in the form of "Crime Watch"

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

Internal Moderator
On 1/16/2024 at 3:10 PM, Shibadog said:

<quote>

Touted as Singapore’s first car-racing movie, Oversteer was shot in Singapore and Malaysia by Singaporean director Derrick Lui, who conceptualised the story in 2004.

This is the second local feature film directed by Lui. His debut feature film 1400, a romantic drama, won a number of awards, including best feature film at indie film festivals in Sydney and Los Angeles in 2015.

In a telephone interview with The Straits Times on Jan 10, Lui, 47, said the major car scenes were shot in Malaysia.

The locations include Bukit Bintang, an area that is home to one of the busiest roads in Kuala Lumpur, and Bukit Tinggi in Pahang, about 50km farther north, where a crucial drifting scene was shot.

<unquote>

from https://www.straitstimes.com/life/motoring/fast-lane-singapore-s-first-car-racing-film-dakar-rally-kicks-off-new-nio-et9-unveiled

so,.. actually, what's "Singapore" about it? SG director, production company, crew and actors.

If they choose their first scene at tanjong pagar, i think it will be very apt. 

oh wait. that is drink driving demonstration. not racing. 😅

And to all the folks out there, during this festive period, please be prudent with your action. When you drink, don't drive. 😇

• Praise 1

<quote>

<unquote>

Actually it is fairly accurate and representative of sg car culture - if sg car enthusiasts want to race, they will most certainly drive up north and go to Sepang

That is exactly what sg car culture is

My only peeve about the trailer is that the cars are Malaysian cars. I mean if you film sg cars driving in Sepang or Bukit Tinggi still ok la

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
On 1/16/2024 at 5:15 PM, 107fan said:

Actually it is fairly accurate and representative of sg car culture - if sg car enthusiasts want to race, they will most certainly drive up north and go to Sepang

That is exactly what sg car culture is

My only peeve about the trailer is that the cars are Malaysian cars. I mean if you film sg cars driving in Sepang or Bukit Tinggi still ok la

it wasn't mentioned if they filmed in Sepang. 

it's not common to see SG cars in Bukit Tinggi - majority of SG cars heading that direction only go up to Genting. Genting Sempah is probably the furthest east

it would be easy to swap plates for filming. Either it was overlooked or a deliberate move. Guess one has to watch the movie to find out lol

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Malaysian cars easier to get. Cheaper. Imagine having to use SG cars to film and wreck. The movie will cost a bomb to produce.

Turbocharged
On 1/16/2024 at 5:57 PM, Benarsenal said:

Malaysian cars easier to get. Cheaper. Imagine having to use SG cars to film and wreck. The movie will cost a bomb to produce.

singapore cars worth a few thousand dollars (some in hundreds or zero) over paper value only

I  think it is cheaper to make car crashing movies here

totaled already just scrap it and get back the paper value

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
On 1/16/2024 at 5:57 PM, Benarsenal said:

Even in Crazy Rich Asians all the supercars were Malaysian plate lol

On 1/16/2024 at 6:06 PM, yishunite said:

Even in Crazy Rich Asians all the supercars were Malaysian plate lol

Our AD only allocation for supercar is likely going to a Malaysian.

On 1/16/2024 at 5:46 PM, Shibadog said:

it wasn't mentioned if they filmed in Sepang. 

it's not common to see SG cars in Bukit Tinggi - majority of SG cars heading that direction only go up to Genting. Genting Sempah is probably the furthest east

it would be easy to swap plates for filming. Either it was overlooked or a deliberate move. Guess one has to watch the movie to find out lol

Ok my post was confusing. I meant that going up north is a sg car enthusiast habit. Not just only at Sepang.

Didnt know that about Bukit Tinggi!

I think the fact that the plates were not swapped could be overlooked...

Supersonic

Nowadays social media promotion package includes coming into car forum to promote car-themed films?

I am happy to be proven wrong...😁

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged

I look forward to spotting the themes and elements of this film that are “inspired” by other car themed films that came before… looks like there may be quite a lot judging by the teasers that have been dropped

• Praise 1

On 1/19/2024 at 10:17 AM, Vratenza said:

Nowadays social media promotion package includes coming into car forum to promote car-themed films?

I am happy to be proven wrong...😁

If you are referring to me then ah, hahaha happy to prove you wrong. Got zero ties to the film. Just excited about a new car film coming up, and disappointed by all the wasted opportunities, and how its probably not gonna be that great...

Supersonic
On 1/23/2024 at 10:16 AM, Typicalcarguy said:

If you are referring to me then ah, hahaha happy to prove you wrong. Got zero ties to the film. Just excited about a new car film coming up, and disappointed by all the wasted opportunities, and how its probably not gonna be that great...

I probably watch too much criminal minds/crime documentaries on Netlfix......I also probably over analysed the timing of you joining the forum, the effort to clock enough participation just to start a thread that seem to be drawing attention to a going-to-be launched film by masquerading as disappointment and lost opportunity. As they all say, any publicity is publicity in show biz.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and hope to see your continued active participation in our discussions beyond this film.☺️

• Praise 1

<quote>

<unquote>

SG car culture is discussing coe will drop anot.

• Haha! 5

Internal Moderator
On 1/23/2024 at 2:29 PM, Stratovarius said:

And Simply GO! hahahahah Or not go. . . . 

• Haha! 1

On 1/23/2024 at 2:29 PM, Stratovarius said:

SG car culture is posting beedio about car accidents or to shame peepur.

SG car couture is...

image.thumb.png.54460bcfd829678f67dd336c5a47be46.png

↡ Advertisement
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 7