Singapore racing movie Oversteer

What do you all think of the upcoming 'Singapore first racing movie', Oversteer? I've have to say any effort in promoting motorsport and car culture is something good in my opinion, but from the promo photos and trailer, it just feel kind of half-effort and seems unlikely to capture the true Singapore car scene... In the first place the hero cars and location looks like it's all in Malaysia - granted, maybe filming in SG wouldn't be easy, but it seems like they didn't even try to replicate SG, i.e. make it seem like the setting is supposed to be Singapore. 

415990062_885305060267623_2644767218272328941_n.thumb.jpg.9c548b5024565f58d64774b97893319d.jpg

In this poster, you can see KLCC, and there was another photo floating about that shows the Malaysian number plates of the car, it seems like the setting of the movie is going to be in Malaysia. There are even people on Facebook poking fun, commenting that Singapore doesn't even have any street racing culture - which isn't the case, and will only be made worse if the film does end up to portray everything in Malaysia. 

817469220_Screenshot2024-01-15143618.jpg.15941fe43d52ba14817371fd43ea13ea.jpg

The first teaser trailer shows an S13 drifting with a DC5 and EK chasing it. While drifting seems to be trendy and attractive to some movie-goers, but most would agree that it isn't really part of Singapore's street racing/ car culture scene. While Singapore might be small, we do have plenty of motorsports related history, including both legal and illegal avenues, cue the illegal drag races that happened at what is now the Tanah Merah Coast Road, Lim Chu Kang (40T), Seletar (20T), the curvy roads such as Old Upper Thomson which was once a GP circuit, the infamous 'Orchard Gudang', etc... My point is, I can't help but feel like the movie's gonna be plenty of wasted opportunities to show the interesting side of Singapore's car culture. 

That said, I hope that I'm wrong and the movie actually turns out to be a fun watch! So, what are your thoughts on this movie?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator

Hmmm. now i can think of one more thing about COE, COE deter street racing. With COE at 100K, who wanna take their prized car and go compete with another moron. 😅

but nevertheless, a good initiative from the director. Will support this movie! 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

On 1/15/2024 at 3:14 PM, kobayashiGT said:

Hmmm. now i can think of one more thing about COE, COE deter street racing. With COE at 100K, who wanna take their prized car and go compete with another moron. 😅

True that😂😂

On 1/15/2024 at 3:35 PM, Jellandross said:

Who say need 100K COE then can do drifting 😅

Drift smlj? Fwd with electronic handbrake. Go learn how to park properly or drive in lane first. 

• Haha! 4

Internal Moderator
On 1/15/2024 at 3:35 PM, Jellandross said:

Who say need 100K COE then can do drifting 😅

Getgo got sponsor the movie? hahahah. 

• Haha! 1

On 1/15/2024 at 3:14 PM, kobayashiGT said:

Duh. Lol.

I think the main deterrence is that most cars now have camera. It's hard to experience the thrill and get away with it. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

"Oversteer" as a title? This is far from real life. I propose another more realistic one - "Undertake" - happens every day every where thanks to hoggers.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 7

Turbocharged
On 1/15/2024 at 2:50 PM, Typicalcarguy said:

What do you all think of the upcoming 'Singapore first racing movie', Oversteer? I've have to say any effort in promoting motorsport and car culture is something good in my opinion, but from the promo photos and trailer, it just feel kind of half-effort and seems unlikely to capture the true Singapore car scene... In the first place the hero cars and location looks like it's all in Malaysia - granted, maybe filming in SG wouldn't be easy, but it seems like they didn't even try to replicate SG, i.e. make it seem like the setting is supposed to be Singapore. 

415990062_885305060267623_2644767218272328941_n.thumb.jpg.9c548b5024565f58d64774b97893319d.jpg

In this poster, you can see KLCC, and there was another photo floating about that shows the Malaysian number plates of the car, it seems like the setting of the movie is going to be in Malaysia. There are even people on Facebook poking fun, commenting that Singapore doesn't even have any street racing culture - which isn't the case, and will only be made worse if the film does end up to portray everything in Malaysia. 

817469220_Screenshot2024-01-15143618.jpg.15941fe43d52ba14817371fd43ea13ea.jpg

The first teaser trailer shows an S13 drifting with a DC5 and EK chasing it. While drifting seems to be trendy and attractive to some movie-goers, but most would agree that it isn't really part of Singapore's street racing/ car culture scene. While Singapore might be small, we do have plenty of motorsports related history, including both legal and illegal avenues, cue the illegal drag races that happened at what is now the Tanah Merah Coast Road, Lim Chu Kang (40T), Seletar (20T), the curvy roads such as Old Upper Thomson which was once a GP circuit, the infamous 'Orchard Gudang', etc... My point is, I can't help but feel like the movie's gonna be plenty of wasted opportunities to show the interesting side of Singapore's car culture. 

That said, I hope that I'm wrong and the movie actually turns out to be a fun watch! So, what are your thoughts on this movie?

Cannot show all those illegal things la. Otherwise sure kena jialat jialat from authorities.

Turbocharged

Honestly between Larry Chen’s recent feature on Singapore car culture and Mighty Car Mods giving a glimpse of Malaysia’s, I relate more to the latter as I’m a hands on guy rather than a rich guy, although it’s more a consequence of me not being rich:

• Praise 3

Sg car culture is zheng zheng but cannot race

Exterior + exhaust mod + exotic car plates. Think that's all lol

• Haha! 2

Turbocharged
On 1/16/2024 at 12:39 AM, 107fan said:

Sg car culture is zheng zheng but cannot race

Exterior + exhaust mod + exotic car plates. Think that's all lol

Got Tanjong Pagar crash lah... who else wanna street race pls go join them

Internal Moderator
On 1/16/2024 at 8:09 AM, Watwheels said:

Got ah lian in the movie? All dudes? 

Movie got car but no half ball dont waste time.

I strongly feel you on this. hahahaha 

(edited)

@tarbo 

On 1/15/2024 at 3:43 PM, tarbo said:

Wait, so this isn't a new Evolusi KL Drift? Hahahahaha

Actually hor, the trailer reminds of Kampung Drift. The location looks similar as well 🤣

Edited by Typicalcarguy
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1