Need advice: cheapest car replacement route?

Jl255

Supersonic
On 1/9/2024 at 10:48 AM, Mkl22 said:

Rough calculations.

i think your current w212 depreciates at 6.2k a year. Parf 27k and PQP around 35k in 2019.

Current market rate around 13.5k a year. So around 5-5.5years left. Which let say about 70k.

the w213 is 110k means you need to top up 40k. Assume coe is 70k come 2027. Then total outlay is 110k for the next 13.5years to drive. Which brings us to 8.2k depre. Still not too bad. 
if you want to match your current 6.2k then coe in 2027 needs to be around 45k. 

Quite inline with my thought too, except that i only estimate my current car worth about 50k, have not checked around though. My thoughts are to pay a few 10 k more to get a w213, then renew its coe when pqp is low when it is due for renewal.....ps. hopefully it is low by then...😃

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic
On 1/9/2024 at 10:37 AM, 13177 said:

What if when come 2026/27, coe is crazily high then how?

Then suck it up, buy another used car to tie over for another  year or two......a plan in a plan😅

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 1/9/2024 at 11:42 AM, Ct3833 said:

Want to buy used car cannot scared of problems, be prepared to pay for repair, meantime, buy with eyes open. If scared, buy from Republic motor lor.

And jamesc good quality used cars at affordable prices!

:D

Why only say them and never say me?

Edited by Jamesc

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 1/9/2024 at 11:28 AM, ccc888 said:

@Jamesc u finally say smthing useful lol

Nonsense!

Nothing I say is useful!

Everything I say is really nonsense.

Its just some things I say people like to hear!

Especially about not thrusting used car dealers!

But honestly who doesn't know that?

Its just that its popular! Very popular!

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic
On 1/9/2024 at 11:30 AM, ccc888 said:

Even i myself also don’t trust the “future” condition of my own car whahaha

If a lot of expensive repairs coming up then faster sell to a used car dealer.

Find a stupid one that give high price and don't know how to see properly a car with many problems.

Not jamesc good quality used cars at affordable prices.

I know that lau chiow very well and I can guarantee you he will not give a good price at all!

Double chop, sign and triple guarantee!

Hypersonic

People say only this post useful.

I think they mean only one bit is useful and must be this bit!

On 1/9/2024 at 10:57 AM, Jamesc said:

Renew COE and you know the condition of your car.

Buy a used car and not all dealers are as honest as that nice jamesc

and you are taking a big risk.

Not so much a risk if you know how to look at a car and know its condition.

How many used car buyers are experts like us?

On 1/9/2024 at 11:28 AM, ccc888 said:

@Jamesc u finally say smthing useful lol

Sorry just gonna ride along on this thread. Anyone able to share how much margin above paper value were dealers offering for used cars in the last 1-2 years? Curious to know where is the bottom line if I were to shop for 2018-2020 era used cars.

6th Gear
On 1/9/2024 at 11:46 AM, Ct3833 said:

Quite inline with my thought too, except that i only estimate my current car worth about 50k, have not checked around though. My thoughts are to pay a few 10 k more to get a w213, then renew its coe when pqp is low when it is due for renewal.....ps. hopefully it is low by then...😃

Will you buy a diesel or a petrol one?

Diesel (E220d) has lower PARF and cheaper at the pump but policy is uncertain.

Supersonic
(edited)
On 1/9/2024 at 6:59 PM, Brass said:

Will you buy a diesel or a petrol one?

Diesel (E220d) has lower PARF and cheaper at the pump but policy is uncertain.

If i will to buy, it will not be diesel.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

Just sharing my plan.

My car COE expiring Jan 2025.

Honda Jazz 1.5. Mileage 180k, problem-free to date, just normal wear n tear (my most reliable car so far). First careful owner, full service records at KM (other than some aftermarket upgrades).

PARF end of 10-years = $3k only.

No-brainer. Will renew with 10-year COE.

Cos option to sell or scrap after COE renewal is very feasible, e.g. if car fails or COE drops further and new car option becomes attractive.  Loss will be minimal due the low PARF.

I believe ST correspondent Chris Tan did flag that low-PARF cars like mine could get renewed and reduce future COE supply LOL.

• Praise 4

On 1/10/2024 at 5:11 PM, Bigtoothpick said:

Just sharing my plan.

My car COE expiring Jan 2025.

Honda Jazz 1.5. Mileage 180k, problem-free to date, just normal wear n tear (my most reliable car so far). First careful owner, full service records at KM (other than some aftermarket upgrades).

PARF end of 10-years = $3k only.

No-brainer. Will renew with 10-year COE.

Cos option to sell or scrap after COE renewal is very feasible, e.g. if car fails or COE drops further and new car option becomes attractive.  Loss will be minimal due the low PARF.

I believe ST correspondent Chris Tan did flag that low-PARF cars like mine could get renewed and reduce future COE supply LOL.

Latest Jazz EHEV is much improved model.

Better FC, better NVH, 6 Airbags, lv2 Honda sensing, much lesser engine noise and too many to list whahaha

*YOLO

• Haha! 1

Twincharged
On 1/9/2024 at 7:36 PM, Ct3833 said:

If i will to buy, it will not be diesel.

Majority of the e220d are/were used for PHV. So mileages will be high. 

• Praise 2

On 1/7/2024 at 10:33 AM, Kxbc said:

Ride on TS thread. 

My case

1. Qasqhai 2L non turbo. Accident free except for dented fender due to my careless whacking side mirror into a rubbish bin. 

2. Coe expires mid 2026

3. Parf paid was $20k. By mid 2026,will be $10k

4. I use the car as pt A to Pt B type. Not itchy butt. My last car was 10 years old when I scrapped. Low mileage ~15k km pa. So far, still like the car for adequate torque and bhp. 

5. Only routine maintenance so far except for replaced aircon leak in Yr 5. 

6. Downsides: tyres are expensive due to weird size, battery lasts on average 1.5 years, petrol getting more expensive but I have no nearby ev charging station if I intend to switch to ev. 

My goal is reduce cash outlay overall to put more into my retirement fund.

The period 2026 to 2036 will be my last car as I don't want to drive from late 60s onwards. 

If I renew coe, I will opt for 10 year so that I can stretch it out even more. 

Downsides of coe renewal : higher road tax (110% to 150% than currently $1.4k), higher insurance (still can cover 3rd party? Now $800+). Can the car last another 10 years? I think so, at least 7 to 8.

If I buy a new car, it will be a cat A Japanese b&b model. 

Would you have any guru advice for me? Renew or buy new in 2026?

My vote goes to buy new entry level B&B japanese/korean car in 2025/6.

I'm leaning towards betting on a lower COE in 2025/6. Look at the data of COE here https://coe.sgcharts.com/ . Come 2026, the number of COEs can easily be 2 to 3 times, or even more per bid (assuming govt don intervene). Given the collapse of COE price observed for the past quarter with just a little injection of COEs, I think with the windfall of COEs coming, prices will likely moderate further.

Sharing my experience on one of my cars previously, a made-in-japan mazda 2 which i bought brand new and drove till scrap (240K mileage). On the 7th year onwards, the repair costs, excluding general servicing, can easily add 1-3K per year on average (based on prices >10 years ago). So please factor in at least 2k-4K per year of repair costs for your car if you are to renew COE.

• Praise 3

On 1/12/2024 at 10:08 AM, Beanoyip said:

How about buying the cheapest available EV?

I second this. Entry level BYDs are also something worth considering.

Twincharged
On 1/12/2024 at 11:29 AM, Rickster said:

My vote goes to buy new entry level B&B japanese/korean car in 2025/6.

I'm leaning towards betting on a lower COE in 2025/6. Look at the data of COE here https://coe.sgcharts.com/ . Come 2026, the number of COEs can easily be 2 to 3 times, or even more per bid (assuming govt don intervene). Given the collapse of COE price observed for the past quarter with just a little injection of COEs, I think with the windfall of COEs coming, prices will likely moderate further.

Sharing my experience on one of my cars previously, a made-in-japan mazda 2 which i bought brand new and drove till scrap (240K mileage). On the 7th year onwards, the repair costs, excluding general servicing, can easily add 1-3K per year on average (based on prices >10 years ago). So please factor in at least 2k-4K per year of repair costs for your car if you are to renew COE.

It’s Mazda that is the problem. Buy toyota much more reliable. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1