Is coffee without coffee beans still coffee?

SGMCF328

After impossible burger, impossible meat, eggless egg and such, now come coffee bean-less coffee. Is this necessary in the name of food security and sustainability?

Let me own up: I dislike all these lab created food products although I had never tried any of them till date. What is your take?

Source: https://cnalifestyle.channelnewsasia.com/dining/prefer-bean-free-coffee-alternative-381681

img_3850.jpg

Founders Jake Berber, a former neuroscientist, and Tan Ding Jie, a food scientist, said they embarked on the project because coffee farmland is diminishing and climate change threatens to erase 50 per cent of coffee by 2050. According to them, coffee also has a big carbon footprint as 1kg of coffee requires as much as 29kg of carbon dioxide.

Berber and Tan believe they are the first in Asia to have launched bean-free coffee. While other bean-free coffee producers in the world use ingredients like chickpeas, rice hulls and seeds to make their product, Prefer’s founders wanted to upcycle food waste products found locally, in line with the whole point of bean-free coffee, which is sustainability, Tan told us.

To that end, they use soya pulp discard from local soya milk chain Mr Bean, day-old bread from Gardenia bakery and spent grains that are a byproduct of beer-making from local breweries. These are fermented, then roasted, and finally ground up.

Consumers and partnering cafes receive the product in a form that looks like ground coffee and can be extracted using the usual methods. The point was for baristas to have to deviate as little as possible from their procedure, Tan said.

img_3849.jpg

So, what’s the verdict? Well, it works quite nicely when mixed into a medium, like in the Prefer Iced Yuzu Espresso Soda served at Dough cafe. And when it’s served as an oat milk latte, for example, it lends a depth of malted flavour bordering on umami.

A hoppy, even slightly savoury taste is discernible to varying degrees, depending on what it’s blended with. But if I were you, I wouldn’t try it as an espresso shot. It’s not ready to be drunk black yet, Tan opined.  

Does it look like coffee? Yes. Does it smell like coffee? Not far off. Does it taste exactly like coffee as we know it? Not so much. But does it give you the feeling of nursing a cuppa at a cafe while revelling in the smug satisfaction that you’re helping to save the whales? Absolutely.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

On 12/15/2023 at 9:31 AM, SGMCF328 said:

So, what’s the verdict? Well, it works quite nicely when mixed into a medium, like in the Prefer Iced Yuzu Espresso Soda served at Dough cafe. And when it’s served as an oat milk latte, for example, it lends a depth of malted flavour bordering on umami.

A hoppy, even slightly savoury taste is discernible to varying degrees, depending on what it’s blended with. But if I were you, I wouldn’t try it as an espresso shot. It’s not ready to be drunk black yet, Tan opined.  

Does it look like coffee? Yes. Does it smell like coffee? Not far off. Does it taste exactly like coffee as we know it? Not so much. But does it give you the feeling of nursing a cuppa at a cafe while revelling in the smug satisfaction that you’re helping to save the whales? Absolutely.

just as what i expect, it won't taste good for straight coffee. But you can create all the coffee-like taste in other form/mix/syrup whatever which many flavored powder mix or syrup already have in the market.

however, if the plan is to replace coffee when all the coffee plantations vanished on earth, then maybe this is the closest you can get.

• Praise 3

Tbh I'm not a fan of fake foods.

There are actually quite a lot of fake foods out there. Cheese sauce are not made from real cheese. Chocolate syrup is not made from chocolate. They are so called processed paste with food colouring and flavour. I avoid taking it if I can. It is very much like some packaged sweet chilli sauce as well. 

I did tried the impossible burger for a short period of time. My body couldnt digest it. It just get rejected into the toilet after a while. Imo it needs more refinement. Taste is not an issue but it is just not the animal protein that the body can break down and absorb like the real thing.

The copi tiam coffee I also cannot take. The mixture of coffee powder, bbq maize, caramel and dunno what makes me feel uncomfortable the entire day. I can only take purely coffee beans only coffee. The above fake coffee concept isnt that original since sgp do have a hybrid type of coffee.

Now also got what plant based Oat Milk as milk substitute. So far only oatside milk taste acceptable and no side effects. But still not a big fan. Still prefer fresh milk. 

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

On 12/15/2023 at 10:04 AM, Watwheels said:

Tbh I'm not a fan of fake foods.

There are actually quite a lot of fake foods out there. Cheese sauce are not made from real cheese. Chocolate syrup is not made from chocolate. They are so called processed paste with food colouring and flavour. I avoid taking it if I can. It is very much like some packaged sweet chilli sauce as well. 

I did tried the impossible burger for a short period of time. My body couldnt digest it. It just get rejected into the toilet after a while. Imo it needs more refinement. Taste is not an issue but it is just not the animal protein that the body can break down and absorb like the real thing.

The copi tiam coffee I also cannot take. The mixture of coffee powder, bbq maize, caramel and dunno what makes me feel uncomfortable the entire day. I can only take purely coffee beans only coffee. The above fake coffee concept isnt that original since sgp do have a hybrid type of coffee.

Now also got what plant based Oat Milk as milk substitute. So far only oatside milk taste acceptable and no side effects. But still not a big fan. Still prefer fresh milk. 

Even the cheese slices we buy to put in bread or sandwich or those cheddar cheese aren't really cheese. 

Just emulsfied fats....

Cheese (made from cow's milk), non fat milk solids, milk fat, emulsifiers (E331), mineral salt (E341) inulin, salt, preservative (E202), acidity regulator (E270), microbial rennet, water added.

• Praise 1

Arabica coffee is going to be in short supply and going to be more expensive as climate changes. 

Robusta seems to be more sustainable.

I only drink caffeine once every few months, so good for my wallet. my wife only drinks tea and sometimes coffee mix once in a while.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

On 12/15/2023 at 10:47 AM, Lala81 said:

Arabica coffee is going to be in short supply and going to be more expensive as climate changes. 

Robusta seems to be more sustainable.

I only drink caffeine once every few months, so good for my wallet. my wife only drinks tea and sometimes coffee mix once in a while.

Heng my taste buds is cheap

i buy those cheap $10 per kg coffee powder own self do. Even my office people say: mustank coffee is the bestest

becuase 20c per cup cost price 🤪

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 3

On 12/15/2023 at 10:59 AM, Mustank said:

Heng my taste buds is cheap

i buy those cheap $10 per kg coffee powder own self do. Even my office people say: mustank coffee is the bestest

becuase 20c per cup cost price 🤪

my wife drinks dilmah english breakfast tea satchet. About 14 cents per packet. 

When i was in australia, the woolsworth was  having discount. 1/2 price for the dilmah tea.
6.75 aud for 100 packets. Too bad the english BF version already finished, bought the aussie afternoon tea version. my wife says very similar. Sibei good deal. 6 cents/packet.

• Praise 4

On 12/15/2023 at 11:05 AM, Ender said:

For me, it's instant coffee. Sorry. Convenient lor . Lol.

I can appreciate good coffee lah. It has a nice taste. 

The coffee in melbourne is good. Even i can taste the difference. 

In terms of coffee beans choices there are a lot. Price increase is because of coffee chains raising prices. I dont really go to starbucks or whatever's out there.

If you buy your own coffee beans and make coffee it is inexpensive. Only your coffee machine is ex. LoL

You can easily make your own starbucks coffee with just instant coffee powder, condense/evaporated milk, ice cubes and water. And you dont have to pay starbucks kinda price. Also no need for fancy coffee machines.

• Praise 3

On 12/15/2023 at 10:31 AM, SGMCF328 said:

After impossible burger, impossible meat, eggless egg and such, now come coffee bean-less coffee. Is this necessary in the name of food security and sustainability?

Let me own up: I dislike all these lab created food products although I had never tried any of them till date. What is your take?

Source: https://cnalifestyle.channelnewsasia.com/dining/prefer-bean-free-coffee-alternative-381681

img_3850.jpg

Founders Jake Berber, a former neuroscientist, and Tan Ding Jie, a food scientist, said they embarked on the project because coffee farmland is diminishing and climate change threatens to erase 50 per cent of coffee by 2050. According to them, coffee also has a big carbon footprint as 1kg of coffee requires as much as 29kg of carbon dioxide.

Berber and Tan believe they are the first in Asia to have launched bean-free coffee. While other bean-free coffee producers in the world use ingredients like chickpeas, rice hulls and seeds to make their product, Prefer’s founders wanted to upcycle food waste products found locally, in line with the whole point of bean-free coffee, which is sustainability, Tan told us.

To that end, they use soya pulp discard from local soya milk chain Mr Bean, day-old bread from Gardenia bakery and spent grains that are a byproduct of beer-making from local breweries. These are fermented, then roasted, and finally ground up.

Consumers and partnering cafes receive the product in a form that looks like ground coffee and can be extracted using the usual methods. The point was for baristas to have to deviate as little as possible from their procedure, Tan said.

img_3849.jpg

Sound like having sex but don’t allow to cum!😅

• Haha! 3

On 12/15/2023 at 11:06 AM, Lala81 said:

I can appreciate good coffee lah. It has a nice taste. 

The coffee in melbourne is good. Even i can taste the difference. 

I also at times will go for good coffee. But my standard is still lower class at hawker centre. The one at basement of Golden mile hawker centre..... Lol