Charging phone in car and impact on car battery

RadX

On 12/4/2023 at 8:57 AM, ER-3682 said:

For Funeral Directors,charging Cars not an issue,heard very good Profit.

Use dead body energy to charge ah👻

↡ Advertisement

On 12/4/2023 at 7:29 AM, RadX said:

As the title suggests, I have never charged my phone in the car. However it looks to be a more plausible option .

Loads of info and most suggest it’s ok using the ciggy plug adaptors, wireless pads OR the usb/usb-C sockets provided .

Any long term effects on the car battery ? 

Discuss

Are you talking about 12V car battery or your EV car battery? LOL

On 12/4/2023 at 10:35 AM, Beehive3783 said:

Are you talking about 12V car battery or your EV car battery? LOL

12V

On 12/4/2023 at 10:28 AM, RadX said:

The wireless is a no no as it does kill the phone somewhat. Again due to heat 

much as the pros are there, I stick to cable unless really bo pian

no la. the latest wireless chargers are decent and charge pretty fast. how long you wanna keep the phone. battery will degrade regardless. it is like trying to use it less to preserve the phone. the phone is for convenience, the battery will die regardless of how one thinks it can help to preserve it. really not worth the trouble to bother. spoil, just change phone or battery. ngeow chee about charging aint gonna help. electronics these days have a built in self destruct. all are meant to be used and discarded.

Cannot have boomer mindset that things will last and last... 😁

• Haha! 4

On 12/4/2023 at 10:37 AM, Mkl22 said:

no la. the latest wireless chargers are decent and charge pretty fast. how long you wanna keep the phone. battery will degrade regardless. it is like trying to use it less to preserve the phone. the phone is for convenience, the battery will die regardless of how one thinks it can help to preserve it. really not worth the trouble to bother. spoil, just change phone or battery. ngeow chee about charging aint gonna help. electronics these days have a built in self destruct. all are meant to be used and discarded.

Well, the i5 charging pad bricks the iPhone liao😂😂

On 12/4/2023 at 10:37 AM, Mkl22 said:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/bmw-owner-says-the-wireless-charger-bricked-his-iphone-15-222302.html

IMG_1892.png

• Praise 1

On 12/4/2023 at 9:37 AM, Watwheels said:

In the past on lead acid battery that is constantly charged by the alternator it does impact the life span of the battery. My mechanic told me to get a higher capacity battery than stock. 

For those who dunno how it works. After the battery supply power to crank up the engine the alternator will take over the power demand and supply electricity to the various parts in the car like engine management, lights, headunit, sensors, etc. The battery will then become a "capacitor" to store electricity and supply power to additional demand. Or at least how my mechanic tells me.

If you plug in more devices and the alternator is unable to charge up the battery, yes it will deplete the battery faster. Those audio ppl will know that's why they have to install extra battery and capacitors to cope with demand from their audio devices.

For AGM batteries it is bit tricky cos the alternator is program to charge the battery only when it is needed to, the alternator is not constantly charging it.  The settings can be changed using the factory OBD tool if I'm not wrong. Of course AD workshop will tell you "cannot".

What I have noticed when I plug in a cig lighter that has a voltmeter. This is what I notice on my car that is using the AGM battery.

1) During day time driving no headlights on or any high power demand, it reads 12.6V to12.8V

2) Night time driving, headlights auto on or anytime the car is under shelter the headlights will come on, it reads 13+V

3) When the message on my dash says "Charging Battery", it reads 14+V (only when you see 14V then the battery will charge up, anything less it is not enough for charging).

My suggestion is try not to use the car battery to charge your devices. If you have a family of ppl who want to charge their phones tell them to use the powerbank. I also try not to use the on board charging and use a powerbank. The AGM battery is also not cheap. I also deactivate the engine start/stop function upon engine startup. 

I have also seen Amaron battery model that can be use on both older and newer cars. Can do constant charging and suitable for engine start/stop. I dunno how good it is. Of course the price is more than regular batteries. I notice AGM are also lead acid batteries(can see the battery water level and plating from some), it is the material used that is either better or different from regular batteries.

AGM also lead acid of sorts but very different in construction. very different.

i learn all this via this FAQ. read all this 20years ago. William Darden writes an excellent FAQ.

https://alshain.a-centauri.com/batteryfaq/

• Praise 2

On 12/4/2023 at 10:37 AM, RadX said:

12V

For my case, i only charge my phone when the engine is running. Never charge the phone in ACC mode because it will drain the 12V battery (engine not running = alternator not running = alternator not charging the 12V battery)

I charge via ciggy socket USB charger by USB cable and that's because my car is not advanced enough to have its own USB ports in the car :D 

Now for EV, I know some can do a reverse output, in layman terms function as a huge ass power bank. Great for camping and outdoor activities. I guess if you wanna charge your phone in that manner, it should be fine as well.

Edited by Beehive3783
  • Praise 1

On 12/4/2023 at 10:41 AM, Beehive3783 said:

For my case, i only charge my phone when the engine is running. Never charge the phone in ACC mode because it will drain the 12V battery (engine not running = alternator not running = alternator not charging the 12V battery)

I charge via ciggy socket USB charger by USB cable and that's because my car is not advanced enough to have its own USB ports in the car :D 

Now for EV, I know some can do a reverse output, in layman terms function as a huge ass power bank. Great for camping and outdoor activities. I guess if you wanna charge your phone in that manner, it should be fine as well.

Thanks bro

yes , dun think can charge when car is not running. Even for EV, unless you fight w wife and sleep in car w aircon on😂😂.. uses 1kwh/hr… can sleep for 3days in car😊

• Haha! 4

On 12/4/2023 at 10:26 AM, RadX said:

So for EVs it has the same concept somewhat and the 12V onboard works in the same way I guess

EV have to adopt the current 12V that all the parts makers manufacture. If any car maker wants to come up with their own it will be very costly for car maker and consumer and parts cannot be bought off the shelf as easily. The thing involves the whole car industry if ppl want change. Now car makers want to install AI computer into the car. I think 12V not enough.

• Praise 1

On 12/4/2023 at 10:28 AM, RadX said:

The wireless is a no no as it does kill the phone somewhat. Again due to heat 

much as the pros are there, I stick to cable unless really bo pian

Like that, you need the FL cayenne.

Cold air is routed to wireless charging pad

• Haha! 2

largest hp battery now is around 6000mah. normal charging should not be an issue.

unless TS intends to park car somewhere and do 4k live stream 24/7 ... [sly]

• Haha! 5

On 12/4/2023 at 11:25 AM, Blueray said:

largest hp battery now is around 6000mah. normal charging should not be an issue.

unless TS intends to park car somewhere and do 4k live stream 24/7 ... [sly]

think what shopper live ah😂

On 12/4/2023 at 8:04 AM, RadX said:

Change batt 2-3yrs? Hmmmmm another excuse to change car😂😂😂

err .. I thot u change from ICE ICE baby liao ..no more vanilla ICE cars for u

Edited by Sdf4786k

TS is the last person I would have think of for starting such thread. I thought his famous quote is: "If you need to ask..." Hahahaha

Especially when he change car faster than baby changing their diapers

mqdefault.jpg

OK ok, back to the topic. Although I have no personal transport, but those grab and taxi drivers always have their mobile devices plug into the cig lighter socket and USB port, so I reckon it should not have any adverse impact on their car. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 12/4/2023 at 11:35 AM, SGMCF328 said:

TS is the last person I would have think of for starting such thread. I thought his famous quote is: "If you need to ask..." Hahahaha

mqdefault.jpg

OK ok, back to the topic. Although I have no personal transport, but those grab and taxi drivers always have their mobile devices plug into the cig lighter socket and USB port, so I reckon it should not have any adverse impact on their car. 

It's more of an adverse impact to the mobile phone, by keeping it perpetually draining and charging at the same time. Both battery usage and battery charging generate heat and there'll be a cumulative effect. I notice the elderly like to do this, keep the phone charging on a cable while playing facebook or youtube video with speaker volume switched on. No surprise the battery end up bloated quite fast.

• Praise 1

On 12/4/2023 at 11:35 AM, SGMCF328 said:

mqdefault.jpg

waaaa u see me so up ah… I oni premature seex

A case of TMI and to get what is done here purely for differing views and the info out there is filled w info but what’s the real crux

• Praise 1

On 12/4/2023 at 11:40 AM, Sosaria said:

It's more of an adverse impact to the mobile phone, by keeping it perpetually draining and charging at the same time. Both battery usage and battery charging generate heat and there'll be a cumulative effect. I notice the elderly like to do this, keep the phone charging on a cable while playing facebook or youtube video with speaker volume switched on. No surprise the battery end up bloated quite fast.

Quite a lot of cheaper phones also use lithium polymer batteries which have a shorter life span (charge discharge cycles). U will have to search on GSMarena to find which ones use which. 

↡ Advertisement