Charging phone in car and impact on car battery

RadX

As the title suggests, I have never charged my phone in the car. However it looks to be a more plausible option .

Loads of info and most suggest it’s ok using the ciggy plug adaptors, wireless pads OR the usb/usb-C sockets provided .

Any long term effects on the car battery ? 

Discuss

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

On 12/4/2023 at 7:29 AM, RadX said:

As the title suggests, I have never charged my phone in the car. However it looks to be a more plausible option .

Loads of info and most suggest it’s ok using the ciggy plug adaptors OR the usb/usb-C sockets provided .

Discuss

It’s not the effect on the car battery but EM waves! 🤣

jokes aside. Nah. Puny battery in phone doesn’t affect anything. For ICE,

likely charging only when car in use. Alternator will provide the current. For EV, the main batts will also charge up the 12V when car in use. So not a problem. 

the problem is with car cams where the drain is over long periods without being charged by alternator or main batt. The lead acid battery main purpose is to provide large currents over a short period of time to start the car. It is not really meant for low and long current drain. You tend to kill it in such applications. 
an AGM Batt has better depth of discharge than a lead acid. Thus more suitable for deep discharges. However they can cost twice the price of a flooded lead acid. might be cheaper to just replace the lead acid every 2-3years regardless. 
Mercedes and bmw places their AGM in the boot and AGMs are used as they don’t give out acid fumes which in the boot can creep into the main cabin. 

• Praise 6

On 12/4/2023 at 7:46 AM, Mkl22 said:

likely charging only when car in use. Alternator will provide the current. For EV, the main batts will also charge up the 12V when car in use. So not a problem. 

the problem is with car cams where the drain is over long periods without being charged by alternator or main batt. The lead acid battery main purpose is to provide large currents over a short period of time to start the car. It is not really meant for low and long current drain. You tend to kill it in such applications. 
an AGM Batt has better depth of discharge than a lead acid. Thus more suitable for deep discharges. However they can cost twice the price of a flooded lead acid. might be cheaper to just replace the lead acid every 2-3years regardless. 
Mercedes and bmw places their AGM in the boot and AGMs are used as they don’t give out acid fumes which in the boot can creep into the main cabin. 

Thanks much bro. Excellent info and insights (except for the EM waves.😂😂..) and reassuring to note👍🏽

• Haha! 1

On 12/4/2023 at 7:46 AM, Mkl22 said:

Change batt 2-3yrs? Hmmmmm another excuse to change car😂😂😂

• Haha! 8

On 12/4/2023 at 8:02 AM, RadX said:

Thanks much bro. Excellent info and insights (except for the EM waves.😂😂..) and reassuring to note👍🏽

I thought you already driving an EV.?

On 12/4/2023 at 8:04 AM, RadX said:

Change batt 2-3yrs? Hmmmmm another excuse to change car😂😂😂

For Funeral Directors,charging Cars not an issue,heard very good Profit.

• Haha! 1

On 12/4/2023 at 8:56 AM, ER-3682 said:

Yes I am

yoir point?

• Haha! 1

In the past on lead acid battery that is constantly charged by the alternator it does impact the life span of the battery. My mechanic told me to get a higher capacity battery than stock. 

For those who dunno how it works. After the battery supply power to crank up the engine the alternator will take over the power demand and supply electricity to the various parts in the car like engine management, lights, headunit, sensors, etc. The battery will then become a "capacitor" to store electricity and supply power to additional demand. Or at least how my mechanic tells me.

If you plug in more devices and the alternator is unable to charge up the battery, yes it will deplete the battery faster. Those audio ppl will know that's why they have to install extra battery and capacitors to cope with demand from their audio devices.

For AGM batteries it is bit tricky cos the alternator is program to charge the battery only when it is needed to, the alternator is not constantly charging it.  The settings can be changed using the factory OBD tool if I'm not wrong. Of course AD workshop will tell you "cannot".

What I have noticed when I plug in a cig lighter that has a voltmeter. This is what I notice on my car that is using the AGM battery.

1) During day time driving no headlights on or any high power demand, it reads 12.6V to12.8V

2) Night time driving, headlights auto on or anytime the car is under shelter the headlights will come on, it reads 13+V

3) When the message on my dash says "Charging Battery", it reads 14+V (only when you see 14V then the battery will charge up, anything less it is not enough for charging).

My suggestion is try not to use the car battery to charge your devices. If you have a family of ppl who want to charge their phones tell them to use the powerbank. I also try not to use the on board charging and use a powerbank. The AGM battery is also not cheap. I also deactivate the engine start/stop function upon engine startup. 

I have also seen Amaron battery model that can be use on both older and newer cars. Can do constant charging and suitable for engine start/stop. I dunno how good it is. Of course the price is more than regular batteries. I notice AGM are also lead acid batteries(can see the battery water level and plating from some), it is the material used that is either better or different from regular batteries.

• Praise 1

On 12/4/2023 at 7:29 AM, RadX said:

Loads of info and most suggest it’s ok using the ciggy plug adaptors, wireless pads OR the usb/usb-C sockets provided .

Discuss

You have not used the wireless charging pad? 

I am more scared of the health of my phone battery than my car battery with the constant charging.  I always leave my phone in the wireless tray whenever I get into the car.

Your EV got big batteries, don't think it will make much of a dent. Anyway, you change car like change underwear, soiled underwear is not going to be your problem. 😂

• Praise 5

On 12/4/2023 at 9:40 AM, Voodooman said:

I am more scared of the health of my phone battery than my car battery with the constant charging.  I always leave my phone in the wireless tray whenever I get into the car.

Your EV got big batteries, don't think it will make much of a dent. Anyway, you change car like change underwear, soiled underwear is not going to be your problem. 😂

Yeah lor... Not charging phone scared car battery dying then might as well don't turn on headlights at night don't turn on sound system to "save" the car battery. Cars (unless French Italian Brits) are a lot more robust then most people think. 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 3

On 12/4/2023 at 9:43 AM, Volvobrick said:

Yeah lor... Not charging phone scared car battery dying then might as well don't turn on headlights at night don't turn on sound system to "save" the car battery. Cars (unless French Italian Brits) are a lot more robust then most people think. 

No la

change car😂😂

• Haha! 1

On 12/4/2023 at 8:56 AM, ER-3682 said:

EV also have 12v battery.  All the devices in the car runs on 12v archi

• Praise 1

On 12/4/2023 at 9:37 AM, RadX said:

Yes I am

yoir point?

Won't affect the main Battery,i think EV like Hybrid still have a small 12v Battery..in the Car.

• Praise 1

EV still has the 12V battery is because car electrical/electronic components all run on 12V. Parts like headlights, wiper motors all run on a 12V system. The makers make all components 12V so that it can fit into all the different cars. But now EV has come into the market the ev can actually supply more power. Tesla is pushing for 48V to meet with ever increasing demand on a car. They even send a pamphlet to every other car makers on how to build a 48V system.

When cars first started to run they only run on 6V. It took a long time to switch to 12V and an even longer time to make changes now. Car makers and parts makers have to work together on the switch. 

• Praise 1

On 12/4/2023 at 10:04 AM, ER-3682 said:

Won't affect the main Battery,i think EV like Hybrid still have a small 12v Battery..in the Car.

Thanks

read some funny and inaccurate stuff so best clarify w the folks here for more views and gd to hear 

not that I charge the phone ALL the time but if it’s there, use lo.

read some places that state not to use the usb onboard but use ciggy lighter socket 

On 12/4/2023 at 9:37 AM, Watwheels said:

In the past on lead acid battery that is constantly charged by the alternator it does impact the life span of the battery. My mechanic told me to get a higher capacity battery than stock. 

For those who dunno how it works. After the battery supply power to crank up the engine the alternator will take over the power demand and supply electricity to the various parts in the car like engine management, lights, headunit, sensors, etc. The battery will then become a "capacitor" to store electricity and supply power to additional demand. Or at least how my mechanic tells me.

If you plug in more devices and the alternator is unable to charge up the battery, yes it will deplete the battery faster. Those audio ppl will know that's why they have to install extra battery and capacitors to cope with demand from their audio devices.

For AGM batteries it is bit tricky cos the alternator is program to charge the battery only when it is needed to, the alternator is not constantly charging it.  The settings can be changed using the factory OBD tool if I'm not wrong. Of course AD workshop will tell you "cannot".

What I have noticed when I plug in a cig lighter that has a voltmeter. This is what I notice on my car that is using the AGM battery.

1) During day time driving no headlights on or any high power demand, it reads 12.6V to12.8V

2) Night time driving, headlights auto on or anytime the car is under shelter the headlights will come on, it reads 13+V

3) When the message on my dash says "Charging Battery", it reads 14+V (only when you see 14V then the battery will charge up, anything less it is not enough for charging).

My suggestion is try not to use the car battery to charge your devices. If you have a family of ppl who want to charge their phones tell them to use the powerbank. I also try not to use the on board charging and use a powerbank. The AGM battery is also not cheap. I also deactivate the engine start/stop function upon engine startup. 

I have also seen Amaron battery model that can be use on both older and newer cars. Can do constant charging and suitable for engine start/stop. I dunno how good it is. Of course the price is more than regular batteries. I notice AGM are also lead acid batteries(can see the battery water level and plating from some), it is the material used that is either better or different from regular batteries.

So for EVs it has the same concept somewhat and the 12V onboard works in the same way I guess

• Praise 1

On 12/4/2023 at 9:43 AM, Volvobrick said:

Think a lot of boomers have that mindset… that’s why never signal or use headlights at night 😂😂

• Haha! 5

On 12/4/2023 at 9:40 AM, Voodooman said:

The wireless is a no no as it does kill the phone somewhat. Again due to heat 

much as the pros are there, I stick to cable unless really bo pian

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3