COE premiums continue rising; higher Nov-Jan quota unlikely to cool car demand, say dealers

kobayashiGT

On 10/22/2023 at 12:36 AM, yishunite said:

My visiting friend kena card not acceptable.

Students dont have CC

Main thing is what kind of idiotic company doesnt allow you to purchase its service at point of service

LTA

All MRT fare goes to Transitlink.

From thereon, Transitlink will pay respective operators their share.

Edited by inlinesix

On 10/22/2023 at 10:23 AM, yishunite said:

Must go 7-11 get

So troublesome. For tourists, it would be even more troublesome siah.

On 10/22/2023 at 11:00 AM, 13177 said:

So troublesome. For tourists, it would be even more troublesome siah.

Most station has 7-11.

Edited by inlinesix
  • Haha! 1

On 10/22/2023 at 11:04 AM, inlinesix said:

Most station has 7-11.

False. Most are outside the station at best in adjoining mall complexes. Others like YCK or especially on new lines like Circle Line, Thomson etc simply dont have

On 10/21/2023 at 11:19 AM, inlinesix said:

I am blaming the ole man again.

All Govt agency is trained to have profit (at least breakeven).

Profit comes before everything else.

Profit is needed to fund the cost Centers like defence , education and social services.  These are in the billions. 

Edited by Ingenius

They dun sell single trip ticket anymore but you can buy top up card for 10 bucks that comes with 5 bucks credit inside …

• Praise 4
  • Shocked 1

PHV as a usage based traffic management system?

Since PHV is used 10-20x more than private vehicle on a daily basis, if more quota are taken up by fleet owners (vis-a-vis private owners), won't it lead to more traffic congestion, thus necessitating a cut in COE quota? That means higher COE premium and thereafter higher grab fare?  A vicious cycle? 

If the intent is a usage based system, shouldn't G allocate more COE to taxi?  In Comfort I trust (but so much Grab). 

Think of Grab and Gojek as companies that distribute the ownership costs of the world’s most expensive cars among the thousands of people who use them. 

You want to travel in a car but without paying the high COE price? Private hire cars enable you to do so.

They are the ultimate usage-based vehicles as you pay only when you use them.

Those who argue that Singapore should move from an ownership-based car policy to one based on usage - which I believe is the right way - should support having even more private hire cars on the road.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/commentary/singapore-coe-system-scrap-record-premiums-expensive-private-hire-3857871

On 10/22/2023 at 9:59 PM, Voodooman said:

Since PHV is used 10-20x more than private vehicle on a daily basis, if more quota are taken up by fleet owners (vis-a-vis private owners), won't it lead to more traffic congestion, thus necessitating a cut in COE quota? That means higher COE premium and thereafter higher grab fare?  A vicious cycle? 

If the intent is a usage based system, shouldn't G allocate more COE to taxi?  In Comfort I trust (but so much Grab). 

Think of Grab and Gojek as companies that distribute the ownership costs of the world’s most expensive cars among the thousands of people who use them. 

You want to travel in a car but without paying the high COE price? Private hire cars enable you to do so.

Those who argue that Singapore should move from an ownership-based car policy to one based on usage - which I believe is the right way - should support having even more private hire cars on the road.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/commentary/singapore-coe-system-scrap-record-premiums-expensive-private-hire-3857871

This moron is preaching opposite of car lite but car heavy

Main problem of carlite is public transport is slow (plus jam pack) and singaporeans hard press for time (world longest working hours) so car will always be aspiration

His half fk measure is to try to distribute this time saving with PHV but ends up per car pollution and contribution to congestion is dramatically higher than what COE system was built for

• Praise 5

On 10/22/2023 at 9:59 PM, Voodooman said:

His argument is very clumsy and poorly worded.

Reading between the lines of what Iswaran and others (Amy Khor etc) have said, Govt wants PHV at the expense of private cars. Meaning they allow growth of PHV, but must have corresponding decrease in private car population. Otherwise it will just be unsustainable.

Therefore they are reluctant to do anything to curb high COE.

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

On 10/20/2023 at 10:31 AM, inlinesix said:

From home to office is about 6km.

I believe it is thereabout pre-COVID.

The most expensive short distance I ever took was $20 for 3 - 4km in 2015.

Maybe short distance is same but for most, fares have more than doubled. This is in 2022, don't think fare has dropped since.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/private-hire-car-ride-hailing-taxi-grab-gojek-comfort-2665766

Edited by Voodooman

On 10/22/2023 at 11:28 PM, Benarsenal said:

His argument is very clumsy and poorly worded.

Reading between the lines of what Iswaran and others (Amy Khor etc) have said, Govt wants PHV at the expense of private cars. Meaning they allow growth of PHV, but must have corresponding decrease in private car population. Otherwise it will just be unsustainable.

Therefore they are reluctant to do anything to curb high COE.

If that is the strategy, to make private car transport public, then COE may never come down. 

Good luck Singapore, good luck (to quote T2).  😂😂😂

• Sad 1

On 10/23/2023 at 7:45 AM, inlinesix said:

The article has been more than 1 year.

I don’t really take PHV/Taxi.

Not sure about it.

You can find out from your 3 apps. Just stimulate some rides with a bit more distance.

On 10/23/2023 at 8:05 AM, Voodooman said:

You can find out from your 3 apps. Just stimulate some rides with a bit more distance.

From my home to Jurong Point.

Distance is > 30km
CDG: $35

Grab: $34.50

Tada: $28.71

Edited by inlinesix
  • Praise 1