Honda Freed Hybrid not charging at Causeway

Nkthen

I own a Honda Freed Hybrid 2019 model and this happen to me twice.

When going to Malaysia at Woodlands causeway, sometimes it's a long wait. But there are times where it's 1 hour+ at the causeway.

The strange thing is that my hybrid battery will go dead, and then the car doesn't seem to move. When I press on the accelerator, the car jerks and has no power moving forward. There is multiple reminder to me that the battery will be dead soon and performance will degrade.

Only when the car clears the customs, I drive for about 1km+ then the car goes back to normal. The last time it happens, I have to stop the car, turn off and on, and I see the car charging.

So the question is:

1) Why isn't my Freed charging when stationary? Is there a configuration that I need to do in order to enable that? The car instructions are all in Japanese.

2) Will this situation damage the battery life?

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1

On 10/7/2023 at 9:54 AM, Tohto said:

Hybrid battery will not charge when car is idle.

You are wrong,Will charge when Engine is Running.

• Praise 1

@Nkthen There is a mode thru the Steering Control,you can see is the Battery is Charging or not,but this on my Brother's Vezel,i don't know is Freed using the same System or not.?

On 10/7/2023 at 10:54 AM, ER-3682 said:

You are wrong,Will charge when Engine is Running.

On 10/7/2023 at 10:57 AM, ER-3682 said:

@Nkthen There is a mode thru the Steering Control,you can see is the Battery is Charging or not,but this on my Brother's Vezel,i don't know is Freed using the same System or not.?

Your bro Vezel is running on e-HEV while freed is running on ole hybrid system.

e-HEV is a unique system.

• Praise 1

On 10/7/2023 at 12:41 AM, Nkthen said:

When going to Malaysia at Woodlands causeway, sometimes it's a long wait. But there are times where it's 1 hour+ at the causeway.

The strange thing is that my hybrid battery will go dead, and then the car doesn't seem to move. When I press on the accelerator, the car jerks and has no power moving forward. There is multiple reminder to me that the battery will be dead soon and performance will degrade.

Only when the car clears the customs, I drive for about 1km+ then the car goes back to normal. The last time it happens, I have to stop the car, turn off and on, and I see the car charging.

So the question is:

1) Why isn't my Freed charging when stationary? Is there a configuration that I need to do in order to enable that? The car instructions are all in Japanese.

Pardon my basic question, When you were in the jam, did you have start stop function activated such that your engine will go off ? If so, then the battery will not be charged. 

On 10/7/2023 at 11:29 AM, Ct3833 said:

Pardon my basic question, When you were in the jam, did you have start stop function activated such that your engine will go off ? If so, then the battery will not be charged. 

Hybrid car is dependent on regen brake for charging.

• Praise 2

On 10/7/2023 at 11:44 AM, inlinesix said:

I see. Thought it should charge when car is idling. Mine old tech ICE car😅

On 10/7/2023 at 11:29 AM, Ct3833 said:

I'm not sure about this, my console is all in Japanese words.

On 10/7/2023 at 11:44 AM, inlinesix said:

@inlinesix Yes, I believe so, is there anyway to switch the settings where the car can charge the battery on idle mode?

On 10/7/2023 at 12:03 PM, Ct3833 said:

I see. Thought it should charge when car is idling. Mine old tech ICE car😅

I am driving no Hybrid ICE too

Edited by inlinesix
  • Haha! 1

On 10/7/2023 at 12:09 PM, Nkthen said:

@inlinesix Yes, I believe so, is there anyway to switch the settings where the car can charge the battery on idle mode?

Simple answer is No.

I don’t think Honda IMA Hybrid uses engine as power generator.

On 10/7/2023 at 12:09 PM, Nkthen said:

I'm not sure about this, my console is all in Japanese words.

You can see ur speedometer dials for the rpm. If engine stop due to Start-Stop function kick in, the meter should show 0 rpm. And you will feel your car aircon not as cold generally also. 

The Start-Stop can be turned off anytime during the trip.

On 10/7/2023 at 12:41 AM, Nkthen said:

So the question is:

I thought there's thread here that talks about adding a charging plug for Honda Shuttle hybrid? There's like one or two companies that can do that.

That will solve your issue. Just charge it full before going across the causeway.

But I dunno how it will affect your battery-pack and warranty. I only came across it ppl talking about it. I dont drive any Honda hybrid cars for a fact.

Basically you are converting it into a plug-in hybrid. I have no idea whether it is allowed or even safe to convert.

Good luck.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
On 10/7/2023 at 1:13 PM, Macrosszero said:

I got a solution - don’t go to the Causeway?

(Ok, ok, I’ll kick myself out now)

Go tuas instead? 🤣

Actually iirc there was some issue with this Freed Hybrid when caught in jam when it was newly available here right? I remeber vaguely was aircon not working problem due to battery cannot be charged up when caught in jam. Not sure if related to this latest incidence or not.

↡ Advertisement