Window Tinting - How to get best heat rejection?

Teddyb

I've had Coolnlite Titan X, Tintsycool and most recent 3m Crystalline film. (All legal specification and VLT, highest spec as im frustrated by the heat)

Paying premium for 3m Crystalline which is currently applied. I realised that the 3m front heat is intense and does not seem to deflect the heat as much as my previous. However the car does cool off faster vs the previous 2 brand where I had lesser intense heat while driving but takes longer time to cool off if its been baked in the sun for awhile.

Currently crystalline: I can even feel the heat coming in to my hands while driving in a sunny day. Im not sure crystalline is great at deflecting the heat if im feeling this.

Is that suppose to work this way where it cools off faster? Can I get bros here help to understand how do we get the proper measurements and what can help me deflect heat as much as possible?

When I visited a shop recently they were using 2 different tools with different wavelength to measure the heat. Confuses the heck outa me. 700nm? 9000-1400nm? 

In short how is heat measured? Is cooling off faster considered a better tint vs something that deflects instant heat but takes longer to cool off?

Is heat just measured in IR% rating? and everyone says IR95-99%, some 99% but my skin is telling me its not deflecting heat at all.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Lexus give free 3m crystalline for all 4 windows and front / back windscreen for free.

i need to do up moonroof myself, did VKool best grade at 30% shade.

verdict, VKool win 3m anytime! 

BTW I “open” my moonroof 98% of the time, VKool don’t feel hot when I touch too 

• Praise 2

Vkool is the one which everyone says interference with IU? I've heard about it never got around to trying VKool. What about those other "brands" 

But Titan did not seem to cool off faster. in fact a lunch outing and back the car still feels hot as mad. The 3m on the other hand cools off pretty fast but its unfortunately not deflecting heat as per their claim.

IR which is supposedly what they use to determine heat rejection? 

3M is supposedly 95-99% 

Titan 30 90%

On 9/21/2023 at 11:25 AM, Teddyb said:

I've had Coolnlite Titan X, Tintsycool and most recent 3m Crystalline film. (All legal specification and VLT, highest spec as im frustrated by the heat)

Paying premium for 3m Crystalline which is currently applied. I realised that the 3m front heat is intense and does not seem to deflect the heat as much as my previous. However the car does cool off faster vs the previous 2 brand where I had lesser intense heat while driving but takes longer time to cool off if its been baked in the sun for awhile.

Currently crystalline: I can even feel the heat coming in to my hands while driving in a sunny day. Im not sure crystalline is great at deflecting the heat if im feeling this.

Is that suppose to work this way where it cools off faster? Can I get bros here help to understand how do we get the proper measurements and what can help me deflect heat as much as possible?

When I visited a shop recently they were using 2 different tools with different wavelength to measure the heat. Confuses the heck outa me. 700nm? 9000-1400nm? 

In short how is heat measured? Is cooling off faster considered a better tint vs something that deflects instant heat but takes longer to cool off?

Is heat just measured in IR% rating? and everyone says IR95-99%, some 99% but my skin is telling me its not deflecting heat at all.

IMHO. AFAIK.
Titan X  is metallic.  3M is non-metallic.
Usually there are more data relating to how much outside light (IR or UV) that is e.g.  reflected, absorbed or blocked.
Seldom look at is how much light or heat may be prevented from escaping from inside to outside.
In your scenario,  my take is that Titan X being metallic is better in reflecting away IR thus you feel it less.
On the cooling,  while the metallic can reflect the source from outside,  it could be that is can also reflect the source from inside to prevent it from escaping to the outside. 
Thus, 3M being non metallic,  does a better job in cooling. 

If want good cooling, best is to use sunshade or alternatively,  use AC fan at high speed for the first few minutes. 

• Praise 1

On 9/21/2023 at 7:18 PM, Teddyb said:

Vkool is the one which everyone says interference with IU? I've heard about it never got around to trying VKool. What about those other "brands" 

But Titan did not seem to cool off faster. in fact a lunch outing and back the car still feels hot as mad. The 3m on the other hand cools off pretty fast but its unfortunately not deflecting heat as per their claim.

IR which is supposedly what they use to determine heat rejection? 

3M is supposedly 95-99% 

Titan 30 90%

IMHO. IIRC.
Last time got 3 types - dye, metallic and ceramic.  Now,  add non-metallic.
Metallic ones may interfere with IU and GPS.
Dye ones is cheaper but may discolour sooner.
Ceramic,  no interference but expensive. 

• Praise 1

@Kklee Thank you for the detailed response. 

I realised that the actually 3m front is the lowest IR deflection today when I went to borrow a meter to test. could be exactly what u mean it probably does take the titan longer time to heat up but also longer to cool off made sense. its always a comparison from memory as I never had both available at the same place same time.

TBH the IU interference only happens on payment gateway. I wonder if anyone ever had our Road ERP ever miss a deduction because of tint! Given the height and speed, it deducts on the fly without a miss whereas at carpark less than 1m away u get more issues. On the 3m non metallic here I still get stuck at time at gantry not reading. if GPS and IU not a priority then prob metallic best. As long VLT pass? 

There's actually so many brands now 99% IR but when probed I get response oh no front is 90% back is 99% etc..

@Soya, true. given the heat smlj in our sun also hot. Just what can I do to ease my fingers from burning probably helps. On the door open n close maybe I should just blast the jet fan from one side or maybe have a mini exhaust fan to suck out heat? LOL

• Praise 3

On 9/22/2023 at 4:40 PM, Teddyb said:

@Kklee Thank you for the detailed response. 

I realised that the actually 3m front is the lowest IR deflection today when I went to borrow a meter to test. could be exactly what u mean it probably does take the titan longer time to heat up but also longer to cool off made sense. its always a comparison from memory as I never had both available at the same place same time.

TBH the IU interference only happens on payment gateway. I wonder if anyone ever had our Road ERP ever miss a deduction because of tint! Given the height and speed, it deducts on the fly without a miss whereas at carpark less than 1m away u get more issues. On the 3m non metallic here I still get stuck at time at gantry not reading. if GPS and IU not a priority then prob metallic best. As long VLT pass? 

There's actually so many brands now 99% IR but when probed I get response oh no front is 90% back is 99% etc..

IMHO.
Inspection just need to care about VLT.  The performance is really subjective. 
To keep cool,  double sunshade ( windscreen and dashboard ) is the best bet. 

Need darker to reject more heat

every good solar film sure got 99% IR rejection but need see the TSER. The darker the better tser

i am using 3m crystalline best grade but still feel the heat

why? Because 3m crystalline VLT very high

• Praise 2

On 9/22/2023 at 9:18 PM, Thaiyotakamli said:

Need darker to reject more heat

every good solar film sure got 99% IR rejection but need see the TSER. The darker the better tser

i am using 3m crystalline best grade but still feel the heat

why? Because 3m crystalline VLT very high

6E96F31C-11EC-4E43-B74E-48BA321CDCD1.jpeg

• Praise 1

If people say my old car tinting was better or worse than new car tinting

unless both cars are same model then its not apple to apple comparison.

The old car could have bigger windows and a stronger aircon?

A car with steeply slopped window will also let more light and heat in.

Old boxy cars with straight windows are the best!

:D

Sellers are different spectrum to measure their tints which basically gives u a different result depending on what they selling. Eg. using a narrow spectrum to measure their tint giving u high IR % while someone else using wider spectrum to show u that your tint's so call high IR % is lower vs their in-house brands.

@Thaiyotakamli, @inlinesix - I think yeah TSER is a good way but unfortunately that comes to the non road approve area. Our VLT laws are ancient but unlikely gonna change to allow a darker tint despite the rising heatwave.

@Jamesc, true. Best way try on exact car now to measure at consumer cost unfortunately.

One thing i think could work is to dare all these brands is do real life product testing: Individual Glass box with thermometer and all their 70-75% VLT compliant tint outdoors to test at peak timings.  Battle of the tints!

All these bulb testing in aircon showrooms or in shade are not idea conditions.... 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1