2023 Corolla Cross Hybrid 2.0 - Technical, Features & Use

Kklee

On 5/6/2024 at 8:13 PM, Kklee said:

@Unclepigpig

IMHO.
Breaking in / Break-In

Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid Manual Page 149

Breaking in your new Toyota 
To extend the life of the vehicle, observe the following precautions is recommended:

For the first 300km : Avoid sudden stops

For the first 1000km:
- Do not drive at extremely high speeds
- Avoid sudden acceleration
- Do not drive continuously in low gear
- Do not drive drive at a constant speed for extended period

---------

The above is likely adapted from ICE.
To best estimate the break-in mileages,  e.g.  if FC on ice is 12km/L and FC on hybrid is 24km/h,  the factor is 2x.
Thus 300km=600km and 1000km=2000km.

The challenges

a)  BM service is 1k and 5k.   1k service change EO.  5k service inspection.
b)  Break-In estimated at 2k.
c)  Engine continue to break-in at 5k. See Figure 1. 

Thus best bet is to take break-in mileage as 5k.  At 5k probably change EO and filter outside? 
Also need to take into consideration of break-in of tyres.  I take it as between 300-500km. 

Figure 1 - Dipstick EO before 5k service.
5k.jpeg.9f9f14fb2621a38a0dec81b880feb6e4.jpeg

When I started this journey, I do not have a lot of information on this car. 
My ideal break-in :

(1)  Same as what Toyota Page 149 but mileage at 5k.
(2) Service 1k - Change EO
(3) Service 5k - Change EO
(4) Run engine (maintenance mode)  for 1 minute during 1st cold start, switch off, and go to READY mode. 

Why no. (4) - during 1st cold start,  the vehicle usually can move in EV mode but when the engine starts,  the engine seems to be DI mode before taking some time to change to PFI.  At slow speed,  the vehicle maybe lethargic and loud.    

Good effort on your part. For me driving a second hybrid, I just drive normally without pedal to the metal for my previous hybrid. The engine survived 8 years and is still happily humming along , whether I did a correct break in or not, i have no idea but regular servicing of EO and ATF does helps.

Not going to stress myself with all these nitty gritty stuff and not enjoy my ride. This car is smart enough to know when to use ice and when not to. 

Cold start? That's Carburetor era  practice, no longer applicable with modern engines.

Just enjoy the ride as it is.🙂

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I find the BSM too conservative. It blinks even when I change lane more than 1.5 car lengths in front of the adjacent lane vehicle

• Haha! 1

6th Gear
On 5/8/2024 at 2:39 PM, Unclepigpig said:

I find the BSM too conservative. It blinks even when I change lane more than 1.5 car lengths in front of the adjacent lane vehicle

IMHO.
Then just take it as an alert.    I feel the throttle quite responsive, make light work of overtaking. 

6th Gear

IMHO.
Just a tip -  Power mode charges the battery much faster.  Good for those who want to have the battery full for next morning EV mode. 🤣

↡ Advertisement