Speaker Tan Chuan-Jin, MP Cheng Li Hui resign

RadX

On 7/18/2023 at 2:49 PM, Ingenius said:

I mean having an affair doesn't impede his duty as speaker or minister.

Why not?

He might end up being biased towards her. The temptation is there.

Besides, PAP always declare themselves to be whiter than white, so how can they tolerate infidelity and, worse still, lying to PM Lee some more?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/govt-has-to-address-questions-raised-over-tan-chuan-jin-cheng-li-hui-affair-observers

I agree with what was mentioned below. 

"Dr Chong Ja Ian, associate professor of political science at the National University of Singapore (NUS), said he does not consider the affair a major public issue – as long as there was no abuse of power or position, no effect on discharge of duties, no harassment, coercion or force, and both parties gave mutual consent.

“The rest is up to the individuals, their families and their conscience. Those are not matters of particular public interest for me,” said Dr Chong."

• Praise 4

(edited)
On 7/18/2023 at 2:44 PM, Heartlander said:

Just because WP is the minor party so we should be expecting less of them? I do not condone whatever happen right now nor would I try in vain to defend or sow confusion just because something bad is happening to my supported party. Why can't we simply relax and enjoy the popcorn while the show unfold itself? No need to be so self conscious lah maybe the worse is ego ganna bruise. We are not so fragile relax.

No I donot mean we should discount WP.

but PAP sit on this shits for 3 years VS WP sit on this shit for 3 years via optics is very different.

what scandal today 2023 WP party create will have no or min impact for Singapore in international standing, but any scandal PAP create will have a big impact on Singapore reputation!

eg. Stealing is a crime no excuse all need to be punish. A teenager shoplifting VS GIC fund manager embezzled our reserve have a different impact! You see the picture? Both are criminal need to be punish but the impact on society is very DIFFERENT!

remember from spider man movie

GREAT POWER COMES WITH GREAT RESPONSIBILITY!

Edited by D3badge
  • Praise 4

On 7/18/2023 at 3:01 PM, Freeder said:

KNN ..U wanna play right …

3E28B928-E392-494E-89D7-25871A822CD8.gif

he still a army boy at heart... which becomes a problem at high politics.

• Haha! 1

On 7/18/2023 at 2:59 PM, Cheesey74 said:

QMD8dN9.gif

the one on the left more energetic... but also 30yr younger i guess.... 

the boy behind in the blue shorts, steady la... :"God!?!?!?!?... WTF I doing heeeeeeere@#$%......."

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

On 7/18/2023 at 2:46 PM, Windwaver said:

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/5-things-know-about-cheng-li-hui-mp-involved-affair-tan-chuan-jin

5 things to know about Cheng Li Hui, the MP involved in affair with Tan Chuan-Jin

0718_chenglihui_main.jpg?itok=hLOhcBXr

SINGAPORE — Speaker of Parliament Tan Chuan-Jin and Tampines group representative constituency (GRC) MP Cheng Li Hui resigned on Monday (July 17) over their affair.

Cheng, who is not married, stepped down with immediate effect as a member of the People's Action Party (PAP). The 47-year-old has also resigned as an MP for Tampines GRC.

Here are five things to know about her.

1. She helped her father in grassroots activities while in secondary school

She said previously that in secondary school, she had accompanied her grassroots volunteer father on grassroots activities.

Before the 2015 election, she was a councillor in the Northwest CDC for over 10 years, and was said at the time to have 12 years of grassroots experience.

"From being a girl scout to assisting at Meet-the-People sessions since 2003, helping people has been such an integral part of my life," she told The Straits Times in 2015.

2. She became a Tampines MP in 2015

Cheng started volunteering in Tampines East in early 2015 and was fielded in PAP’s Tampines GRC team in the general election later that year.

She took over from former minister Mah Bow Tan, who had described her as a “quiet” person who gets things done.

With her resignation on July 17, the remaining MPs in Tampines GRC are Masagos Zulkifli, Koh Poh Koon, Desmond Choo and Baey Yam Keng.

3. She was appointed deputy district adviser to the PAP Women's Wing in 2016

Cheng was appointed deputy district adviser to the PAP Women's Wing in 2016, along with Cheryl Chan, Joan Pereira, Rahayu Mahzam and Sun Xueling.

Cheng, who has been speaking in Parliament on the issue of elective egg freezing since 2016, said in April 2022 during a marathon debate on the White Paper on Singapore Women's Development in Parliament that the age limit on elective egg freezing should be raised from 35 to 40.

She has also advocated for infant care and childcare facilities in new estates, and more help for couples undergoing fertility treatments, and has spoken on environmental issues such as Singapore's domestic recycling rate.

4. She is an independent director of supermarket chain Sheng Siong

Cheng was appointed as an independent director of Sheng Siong in December 2021.

She served on the board of NTUC Foodfare in 2019 until it merged with NTUC Fairprice in September 2019.

5. She held various positions in engineering firm Hai Leck Holdings

Cheng's father, Cheng Buck Poh, is publicly listed Hai Leck Holdings' founder and CEO. He owns 84.83 per cent of the company's shares, according to its FY2022 financial report.

The engineering firm recorded revenue of $82.5 million in financial year 2022.

Cheng — the third of five siblings — was appointed to the firm's board as executive director of operations in May 2010.

The company said her role is to assist its chief executive in "overseeing the daily operations of the group".

She was later appointed as Hai Leck's deputy chief executive in 2012, a post she held until December 2017.

Along with her parents, Cheng and her siblings all hold shares in Hai Leck.

0718_chenglihui_1.jpg0718_chenglihui_2.jpg

I wanted to know the size of her mangoes, but not mentioned here leh. 

• Haha! 3

On 7/18/2023 at 9:30 AM, Inlinefour said:

liang popo said nothing under carpet

but his master pinkie admitted that cover up way before 2020 happened likely 2018 😲😲😲

sibay confused leh

seems like all Pinocchio hor 🙊🙉🙈

Liang Popo meant that he can confirm there is nothing under his own carpet. 

But under his boss's carpet ... 😅

• Haha! 4

On 7/18/2023 at 2:54 PM, Lala81 said:

At least she always can go back to work for her family's company.

Not nice for a lady to be pointed here, pointed there also. Similarly for TCJ's wife and kids.

TCJ then have to take it like a man...

I have a feeling it's TCJ's wife that baotok him?

Since 2020 cannot be unaware of the relationship right?

Performance sure decrease :secret-laugh:, not young anymore.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 5

If he was in the private sector, nobody would bat an eyelid.

However, he is a public servant and is always subject to public scrutiny. That's the perk of being a handsomely paid public servant.

• Praise 1

On 7/18/2023 at 2:37 PM, Fcw75 said:

Your colleague beyond redemption already.

point of view super unusual 👀👀👀

On 7/18/2023 at 2:41 PM, Beehive3783 said:

Who is your colleague farking? Another colleague? :D 

that’s why he said adulterers should be forgiven cos he eyeing a married colleague 😬😬😬

On 7/18/2023 at 2:57 PM, Stratovarius said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/govt-has-to-address-questions-raised-over-tan-chuan-jin-cheng-li-hui-affair-observers

I agree with what was mentioned below. 

"Dr Chong Ja Ian, associate professor of political science at the National University of Singapore (NUS), said he does not consider the affair a major public issue – as long as there was no abuse of power or position, no effect on discharge of duties, no harassment, coercion or force, and both parties gave mutual consent.

“The rest is up to the individuals, their families and their conscience. Those are not matters of particular public interest for me,” said Dr Chong."

So here comes a tough question: were they asked to resign because of the affair, or because they disobeyed their master's order to stop the affair? :D 

On 7/18/2023 at 3:11 PM, Cheesey74 said:

Ok i lose bro... @inlinesix will post chio bu pic soon 😄

His definition of chio bu pics are catered for those with acquired taste..

Think we better off posting those ministar’s hawker or sexercise gifs..

We must protect the sanctity of this thread yah..

• Haha! 3

On 7/18/2023 at 3:12 PM, Lethalstrike said:

Liang Popo meant that he can confirm there is nothing under his own carpet. 

But under his boss's carpet ... 😅

no wonder pinkie loves Dyson 🤩🤩🤩

ask Milo to give medal 😬😬😬

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1