MAS unveils commemorative S$10 coin to mark Lee Kuan Yew's 100th birth anniversary

SGMCF328

On 5/16/2023 at 2:54 PM, Ct3833 said:

Since it is $10 face value, why not issue it as circulating coin  instead? After all the value of  $10 is so small these day, one coin can only buy one bowl of noodle, so that whenever people eat noodle, they will remember LKY😅😅

People throw on floor and step how? Not like notes, coins won't get damaged. Better not lah! 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

On 5/16/2023 at 4:28 PM, Tkseah said:

Just order the max 5pcs per pax lor.. it's at face value anyway.. next time no money can use to buy cai png..

Next time 5 coins just nice 1 plate cai png.... You have foresight! 

• Haha! 3

Turbocharged

lee_kuan_yew_coin_1.png?itok=y77nI7rz

I think someone chose the wrong photo for the coin lah... I cannot see the "iron" on that face leh....  🤦‍♂️

There're so many photos showing his tenacity, yet whoever approved this one seems to be trying to portray a kind grandfatherly figure. Haiz...no eyes see.

• Haha! 5

On 5/16/2023 at 6:39 PM, Loki said:

I thought only countries like North Korea do this sort of thinga

I am ok if they commemorate  a 8 years, 9 years..... anniversary since his passing. 

Commemorating 100th year if he is still alive! How absurd.

Adore not worship. Haiz... 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

(edited)

Imo It sounded like cursing someone wasn't able to live that long.

Should change it to commemorate the 8th year anniversary.  😞

Edited by Kopites

(edited)
On 5/16/2023 at 7:13 PM, Kopites said:

I am ok if they commemorate  a 8 years, 9 years..... anniversary since his passing. 

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202112/1243413.shtml

Nothing absurd. It's being practiced elsewhere.... 

So we may get 110th, 120th.... 

Edited by Volvobrick

On 5/16/2023 at 9:35 AM, SGMCF328 said:

No offence but I feel sad for Mr. Lee Kuan Yew, as he continues to be "milked" by the current government. What's next, a new $10 note in 2025 to mark his 10th death anniversary, or a special $80 note to mark his wedding jubilee with Mdm. Kwa?

645c3765690df60011029143-63bd27820542a60

Source: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/lky100-lee-kuan-yew-commemorative-coins-unveiled-mas-3488726

SINGAPORE: A commemorative S$10 coin marking the 100th birth anniversary of Singapore's founding Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew was unveiled by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) on Monday (May 15).

Minted in aluminium bronze, the gold-coloured LKY100 coins will be available at face value by application. The coins will have a diameter of 30mm, making them about 22 per cent larger than the Third Series S$1 coins currently in circulation.

"The coin pays tribute to his strategic vision, boldness and indomitable spirit that transformed Singapore from a regional trading port to a global manufacturing, business and financial hub, creating opportunities for all Singaporeans," MAS said in a news release.

"The design features a portrait of Mr Lee Kuan Yew, accompanied in the foreground by the Marina Barrage, representing Mr Lee's vision to build a freshwater reservoir in the city, strengthening Singapore's water resilience," the central bank added, describing the design on the coin's reverse.

"The backdrop is the skyline of the Raffles Place financial district, and two heritage buildings which have witnessed significant milestones in Singapore's history – Fullerton Hotel (formerly the Fullerton Building/General Post Office) and National Gallery Singapore (formerly the Supreme Court and City Hall)."

lee_kuan_yew_coin_1.png

In addition to the Singapore Coat of Arms, the front of the coin features Mr Lee's name, his years of birth and death, the words "100th Birth Anniversary" and a dual latent image that shows the year 1923 when viewed from one angle and the year 2023 when viewed from another.

lee_kuan_yew_coin_2.png

The coin was designed by local artist Weng Ziyan, whose previous works include banknotes commemorating Singapore's 50th year of independence, Singapore's bicentennial and the 50th anniversary of the Brunei-Singapore Currency Interchangeability Agreement.

Applications for the coins can be made from Monday until Jun 9 via a dedicated application website.

Only Singapore citizens and permanent residents can apply, and each applicant can apply for up to five coins.

"If demand is high, applicants may not be allocated the quantity of coins requested, but can be assured of being allocated at least one coin," MAS said.

Each applicant will be required to indicate their identity number, mobile phone number and preferred bank branch for the collection of the coins.

No upfront payment will be requested. Successful applicants will pay for their coins when collecting them at their selected bank branches.

Banks participating in the distribution of the coins include DBS and POSB, OCBC and UOB as well as the Bank of China, HSBC, Maybank and Standard Chartered.

Those who require in-person assistance to submit their applications can approach any community club or community centre, or the ServiceSG centres at Our Tampines Hub and One Punggol.

Successful applicants will receive SMS notifications from mid-August, and the coins will be available for collection from September.

Coins that are not exchanged during the collection window will be made available for exchange at banks by the general public, including non-Singaporeans.

The number of coins to be minted will be determined after applications close, MAS said.

The commemorative coin was announced earlier this year as part of a series of initiatives to mark the centenary of Mr Lee's birth.

The late Mr Lee, who also co-founded the ruling People's Action Party, was born on Sep 16, 1923. He died on Mar 23, 2015, at the age of 91.

GE is nearing.... they are now try all means to get voters to remember what LKY has done for us...

• Praise 3

Hypersonic
On 5/16/2023 at 7:13 PM, Kopites said:

I still don't know what the purpose of this coin is. What is the point of commemorating 100th year? 🙄

• Praise 2

On 5/17/2023 at 9:38 AM, 13177 said:

I still don't know what the purpose of this coin is. What is the point of commemorating 100th year? 🙄

LKY 100th birthday 

if he is still alive 

• Haha! 2

(edited)

Ignorant fools in MCF!! 

The minting of the coin is the fulfilment of a prophecy made 35 years ago by our eternal leader to us. From the ashes of nickel, aluminium and copper... into every single household in SG. I think of this as something benevolent.... blessing by our eternal leader....保佑 咱们. 

You guys shd learn to be grateful.... 

image.thumb.png.e5c9bc66c117745452d86ac45827e40a.png

Edited by Estrangable
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 8

On 5/17/2023 at 9:38 AM, 13177 said:

100 sound nicer lar..... :we-all-gonna-die:

Cannot be 69 (Lok Kau), 77 (Chat Chat, 89 (Fak Kui), 94 (Kau Sei) ... etc  :grin:

Turbocharged

I also apply to buy leh. It is not the PAP now but I remember this guy. His vision was right and actions speaks 

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
(edited)

His son never fail to use his father legacy whenever he can. Please la, what era already? LKY already said he doesn’t want all those stuff.

LKY, GKS, TCC did a lot for the formative years of Singapore…that we cannot deny.

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 8
  • Haha! 1

On 5/17/2023 at 11:45 AM, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Who is the cow ? :wut:

:XD:

Kena milked like that would only end up with very sore n*pples.... 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2