WhatsApp launches in-app feature for Singapore users to pay local businesses

Blueray

Hypersonic

WhatsApp launches in-app feature for Singapore users to pay local businesses

SINGAPORE — WhatsApp users in Singapore may now pay local businesses through the chat platform, without being redirected to another website or having to open another app. 

In a press release on Tuesday (May 9), messaging platform WhatsApp said the new feature will enable Singapore residents with a WhatsApp number registered here to pay using credit cards, debit cards or PayNow.

It added that the feature — supported by WhatsApp's payments service provider partner, Stripe — will be rolled out to a "small number" of Singapore-based businesses on Tuesday and will be available to more in the coming months.

TODAY has asked the company how many businesses already offer this service.

The option to enable payments on WhatsApp in Singapore is available to local businesses using the WhatsApp Business Platform.

WhatsApp added that other local businesses interested in offering this feature to customers may work with one of their four partners — Vonage, Gupshup, 360dialog and Clare.AI to get started.

Such a service is also available on other platforms such as Chinese messaging application WeChat and Japanese messaging service LINE. 

However, Whatsapp remains one of the more popular messaging platforms here.

Ms Stephane Kasriel, the head of FinTech at Meta, which owns WhatsApp said the new feature would be "seamless" and "secure".

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/whatsapp-launches-app-feature-singapore-users-pay-local-businesses-2167001

interesting initiative though many people in SG are already on PayNow, paylah, etc. and some more businesses have to be on Whatsapp Business Platform to use this. adoption rate may be slow. 

anyways, see how it goes. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1

Supercharged
(edited)

err...not for me. I do not do payment through apps except for bank paynow.

Edited by Starry
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic
On 5/9/2023 at 4:33 PM, Jman888 said:

today so many 'business' accounts from overseas suddenly msg me say they know me [laugh]

if it's from TW then must be the mms you patronised.

mai act innocent hor ... 

• Haha! 1

5th Gear

Still waiting for the super app that will do 90% of what we need on a daily basis 

Hypersonic
On 5/9/2023 at 4:12 PM, Watwheels said:

Whatsapp will take a cut as middle man? No free lunch lo.

Might as well use paynow. 

ya. I think they have to give discounts to make people switch. am waiting for that. 

On 5/9/2023 at 4:55 PM, Blueray said:

if it's from TW then must be the mms you patronised.

mai act innocent hor ... 

they never disclose their name so I not going to assume [laugh]

but seriously can someone let whatsapp know this business accounts already been abused/corrupted, I received 6 of those msg in last 2 hrs.

Hypersonic
On 5/9/2023 at 6:19 PM, Jman888 said:

they never disclose their name so I not going to assume [laugh]

but seriously can someone let whatsapp know this business accounts already been abused/corrupted, I received 6 of those msg in last 2 hrs.

the one that contacted me re $15 for 3 questions was a business account. in use for 1 - 2 days only. i guess after that they just start another business account and scam again. whatsapp boh eng to monitor. as with most businesses, bosses just want to see top line numbers, not the quality of the numbers. 

Hypersonic
On 5/9/2023 at 5:28 PM, Benarsenal said:

So like WeChat? Can give angpow?

i think cannot angpow.

• Sad 1

Internal Moderator

In order to thrive on the overpopulated payment gateway we have now, Whatsapp/meta need to throw alot of money to gain usage. Like how google pay started. 

they join the wagon too late already. 

Supercharged

I find among all the payment app, Nets app is probably the most responsive and easiest to use. Login via fingerprint, select Camera to scan QR, scan QR, enter amount to pay, pay. Done. 

Bank apps is the most troublesome. Bank apps tend to be a bit slower as it needs to pull account data and then there is the nag screen telling you to be cautious of transferring money. 

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
On 5/9/2023 at 10:03 PM, kobayashiGT said:

In order to thrive on the overpopulated payment gateway we have now, Whatsapp/meta need to throw alot of money to gain usage. Like how google pay started. 

they join the wagon too late already. 

precisely. moi waiting for them to throw money to get market share. then I use. haha.

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
On 5/9/2023 at 10:57 PM, Gizmore said:

I find among all the payment app, Nets app is probably the most responsive and easiest to use. Login via fingerprint, select Camera to scan QR, scan QR, enter amount to pay, pay. Done. 

Bank apps is the most troublesome. Bank apps tend to be a bit slower as it needs to pull account data and then there is the nag screen telling you to be cautious of transferring money. 

try xnap. Payment is thru apple pay, now spend money must make your money work harder. 

I will either use shopback pay or xnap to earn credit card miles. Every single cent counts now. hahaha 

On 5/10/2023 at 12:39 PM, Arogab said:

Wow, take so long for them to do this after Wechat kicked it off 😂

In China, wechat wallet didn’t need regulatory approval.

In Sg, all Fintech products require MAS blessing 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1