The Perfect Storm of the Stock Market III

When one talk div yield of 5% often forget what is it based off? Current price or one's cost price?

Current yield for a SG blue chip riet at 5% based on current price is easily 6-7% if one's base price is bought a few months earlier.

(edited)
On 9/26/2024 at 12:07 PM, Throttle2 said:

Yeah, more importantly the writer of the article, does he have $5mil investible?

Like so many Internet gurus, ownself havent retire, want to teach people how to retire.  Ownself not real millionaire, want to teach people how to be millionaire.

Ownself cant check ownself, yet want to talk until as if can.   

heh heh

OK I correct myself a bit after i read the article.

The writer was responding to a goondu asking for 3% returns, so he gave 4% instead. 

In this case i wont blame writer.   got ask got answer

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged
On 9/26/2024 at 12:07 PM, Throttle2 said:

Yeah, more importantly the writer of the article, does he have $5mil investible?

Like so many Internet gurus, ownself havent retire, want to teach people how to retire.  Ownself not real millionaire, want to teach people how to be millionaire.

Ownself cant check ownself, yet want to talk until as if can.   

heh heh

it is obvious that those in the know, know that these people just wanna con. selling knowledge or teaching... please. if one has the secret recipe, why tell others. ownself make the money and keep quiet. it is like if banks know the fullproof way of making lots, wont they just borrow money and do it. still want to waste time loan money out to small timers and do retail for what?

• Praise 1

(edited)
On 9/26/2024 at 1:26 PM, Mkl22 said:

it is obvious that those in the know, know that these people just wanna con. selling knowledge or teaching... please. if one has the secret recipe, why tell others. ownself make the money and keep quiet. it is like if banks know the fullproof way of making lots, wont they just borrow money and do it. still want to waste time loan money out to small timers and do retail for what?

Some banks did with proprietary tradings and of course eventually got into trouble. Those western banks which I don't touch whether their shares or bonds. 

Edited by Volvobrick

Hypersonic
(edited)

FH is a good writer lah. 
My friends who work in finance, also read his articles for perspective. 

Of course if u have lots of know how yourself, then maybe u find it superfluous lor.

Afterall it's like watching a cooking recipe video, when u are already your own chef already. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

(edited)
On 9/26/2024 at 12:31 PM, Alfc said:

When one talk div yield of 5% often forget what is it based off? Current price or one's cost price?

yield should be based on "current price" ?

because if there is better investment, we can liquidate and invest on higher yields

if based on cost price, imagine a stock is purchased 10 years ago, and now paying shitty yield like 1% (current price)

is it still assume sibei high yield investment based on purchase price 10 years ago?😉 

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic
On 9/26/2024 at 1:26 PM, Mkl22 said:

Most people who blog for long periods are usually those who write down stuff as a record, or to clarify their own thinking as they write.
Of course there are those who use it to drum up some credibility to their own profession, like financial advisor or what.

If there's no value for them, then they won't do it long term.
Most people who write all these will never reach a level to monetize it. 

• Praise 3

On 9/26/2024 at 1:35 PM, Volvobrick said:

Some banks did with proprietary tradings and of course eventually got into trouble. Those western banks which I don't touch whether their shares or bonds. 

not just western banks.  DBS UOB OCBC all had Prop traders

• Praise 2

(edited)
On 9/26/2024 at 12:31 PM, Alfc said:

Current yield for a SG blue chip riet at 5% based on current price is easily 6-7% if one's base price is bought a few months earlier.

On 9/26/2024 at 1:44 PM, Wt_know said:

yield must be based on "current price" because if there is a better investment, you can liquidate and invest on higher yields

if based on cost price, imagine a stock is purchased 10 years ago, and now paying shitty yield like 1%

will the owner still assume is sibei high yield investment based on his purchase price 10 years ago?

he can liquidate the entire holdings and invest in better returns ma ... 😉 

I understand what both of you are saying and would concur with both.  just depends on the circumstances on hand and which perspective you looking from to make the next decision

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 3

On 9/26/2024 at 2:25 PM, Lala81 said:

There isn't any new news out of china right? 
Hang seng so green today.

Green for a few days already. China let go a small bazooka to stimulate the economy. Something I bought a few weeks ago as a result went up more than 10%.

• Praise 1

On 9/26/2024 at 2:40 PM, Volvobrick said:

Green for a few days already. China let go a small bazooka to stimulate the economy. Something I bought a few weeks ago as a result went up more than 10%.

Hope they do more, they need it

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
On 9/26/2024 at 2:40 PM, Volvobrick said:

Small bazooka reaction so big…Invisible hand manipulating is it? 
nevertheless up is good 

😬😅

On 9/26/2024 at 3:08 PM, Enye said:

Small bazooka reaction so big…Invisible hand manipulating is it? 
nevertheless up is good 

😬😅

Yes. I am mostly HK listed bank counters. Went in just for the dividends but now up so much and effective yield dropping to high 5%. Have to contemplate to sell soon.

• Praise 1

On 9/26/2024 at 3:16 PM, Wt_know said:

the biggest CHINA BULL in Singapore ... :grin:

2024-09-26_151342.jpg

i think this fella has been bull china since 30 yrs. he has had his good times.   Anyway, clock strikes 12 twice daily

• Haha! 2

(edited)

after sold sure up ... double chop ... :grin:

2024-09-26_170653.jpg

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1