LG Fridge door open sensor keeps beeping

Lala81

Came home yesterday, then my old LG fridge, about 10 years old already, keeps intermittently beeping the 3 beeps door alarm.

It comes intermittently, but once it starts, it keeps going for a while.
It's an old fridge and basic model, so doesn't have the button to disable the door alarm like some of the higher tier models. 

Tried to duct tape the door open button at 1130pm. That worked for 1hr+ until bloody 145am then it started again. 
Gave up overnight and switched it off after transferring the more impt items to my other fridge.

Read up a few things since last night, have to go try after work later. I can't access the top circuit board as it's blocked by my cabinets. I would have to take the fridge down from the ledge.

Bloody hell give me problems few days before xmas eve which is when my both fridges are going to be max-ed out.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 6

Lucky you have extra fridge. Since you have extra fridge, just switch off this beeping fridge and wait until after xmas then fix it lo. 😅 Meanwhile got reason to buy lesser food stuff. 

13 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Lucky you have extra fridge. Since you have extra fridge, just switch off this beeping fridge and wait until after xmas then fix it lo. 😅 Meanwhile got reason to buy lesser food stuff. 

i got xmas gathering prep lah. Relatives coming over etc. 

I don't want to overload the other fridge also.

• Haha! 1

This probably need the rubber lining replacement. The bloated rubber prevents the door from closing properly. 

I dunno who to call to go direct to parts distributor. Need to Google.  If call repair guy probably need to pay for his transport and service fee.

I don't know about other places, but in SG, LG fridge don't waste time asking outside repair man, they cannot get the spare parts from local agent.  Need to call local LG service center. 

• Praise 1

41 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

This probably need the rubber lining replacement. The bloated rubber prevents the door from closing properly. 

I dunno who to call to go direct to parts distributor. Need to Google.  If call repair guy probably need to pay for his transport and service fee.

The door magnetic suction is ok. The lining of the door seems ok to me. 

Anyway it's either 
1. Disconnect the door sensor cable
2. Find a way to permanently press down the sensor button tighter than the door can. 
3. Readjust the door. 

2 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Buy new fridge.

Confirmed happy family.

The issue is relatively minor. The fridge still functions well as long as it doesn't get overloaded

10 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Anyway it's either 
2. Find a way to permanently press down the sensor button tighter than the door can. 
3. Readjust the door. 

Use double-sided tape to hold a coin to the door opposite the button so that the button have a tighter press when the door is closed.

• Praise 2

8 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

Use double-sided tape to hold a coin to the door opposite the button so that the button have a tighter press when the door is closed.

Hmm didn't think about that. I will try. Cos i focused on the fridge side how to press it down. 

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Praise 1

40 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Anyway it's either 
3. Readjust the door. 

Can turn off the alarm?

https://homedecorbliss.com/lg-refrigerator-door-alarm-keeps-beeping/#:~:text=To turn off the door,the internal temperature to rise.

To turn off the door alarm on your LG refrigerator, go to the control panel usually located at the front of the fridge. Then, go to the Alarm/Lock button at the far end of the control panel and press the button once. You can also shut off the beeping by fixing the component that causes the internal temperature to rise.

LG can be so many fault one? The link list so many. Or maybe you need to empty your fridge a little and let the temperature cool.

Or forget it, buy new fridge. Order now before the 1% increase.

Edited by Watwheels

I use a cheap plastic clip to hold the door. It stop my kid from opening the fridge door, but it work well to hold the door tight, against loose door and broken seal.

fridgeclip.jpg

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

I use a cheap plastic clip to hold the door. It stop my kid from opening the fridge door, but it work well to hold the door tight, against loose door and broken seal.

fridgeclip.jpg

That's a good idea. But if the alarm goes off because of the temperature not able to maintain or get colder it could be other issues. Mentioned in the link I posted. And for old fridge I think the compressor also weak liao. That's why I suggested lighten the fridge first.

Edited by Watwheels

52 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Anyway it's either 
3. Readjust the door. 

Typically a reed switch is used. Try with a small magnet near the sensor.

13 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

That's a good idea. But if the alarm goes off because of the temperature not able to maintain or get colder it could be other issues. Mentioned in the link I posted. And for old fridge I think the compressor also weak liao. That's why I suggested lighten the fridge first.

fridge is very cold. Nothing to do with the compressor. This fridge can get overloaded at times, that's why i have a 2nd fridge (bought to replace but realised that the original fridge is ok if u keep it 60-70% capacity.

It's purely a sensor issue. 

Edited by Lala81

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

fridge is very cold. Nothing to do with the compressor. This fridge can get overloaded at times, that's why i have a 2nd fridge (bought to replace but realised that the original fridge is ok if u keep it 60-70% capacity.

It's purely a sensor issue. 

How much capacity is it at now? Maybe there's some misunderstanding.

Are the vents block? Try not to use the term "overload". In aircon or fridge it means there is some ice formation where there shouldnt be. Cos when the aircon man or fridge repair man hears the term "overload"  it is not the fridge stuff with too many things. To them it means the vents are blocked and the compressor is working overtime. You are actually overloading the compressor. 

Sensor or not I dunno. Cos now the beeping seems so general now, LoL. Too cold could be a problem too.

↡ Advertisement