5G Toyota Prius

inlinesix

(edited)
On 2/15/2024 at 9:13 AM, inlinesix said:

There are 3 variants of 5G Prius.

Prius PHEV (2L), 2L and 1.8L.

Other than PHEV, the rest has either 1 or 2 motors. PHEV uses 1 front motor.

1.8L uses ole 2ZR engine.

2L uses Dynamic Force Engine

Front Motor: PHEV > 2L > 1.8L

Rear motor: 2L = 1.8L

Toyota's Dynamic Force Engine is either on Otto cycle or Atkinson cycle. The one on Otto cycle will have a higher HP and torque output. They dont really state the combustion cycle here. In the US they have a lot of variants on the DFE hence they will usually state if it is the one on Atkinson cycle cos this actually feels less powerful than the one on Otto cycle even though they have the same capacity eg. 2.0L

Their common features if I'm not wrong is that they both have the direct and port fuel injection.

For those who are not aware what is Otto cycle and Atkinson cycle in ICE. This is a simple explaination.

1) for Otto cycle to complete its combustion process the crankshaft will rotate about 2+ revolutions.

2) for Atkinson cycle to complete its combustion process the crankshaft will only make one revolution.

If you compare the two the Atkinson will be deem more efficient cos it completes its combustion cycle in one crankshaft revolution but downside is it will be down on power output.

Most ICE that is not from Toyota are mostly running on the Otto cycle.

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement

On 2/14/2024 at 9:35 PM, Heartbreakid said:

Toyota revived its Prius but in terms of material quality, even in full spec, it is disappointing. The interior rear door panels upper portion are hard plastics. And Prius being a class above Corolla Altis (which has more soft touches interior around), Toyota really doesn't give justice to the Prius. The previous model had better all round interior soft touch plastic than the new Prius.

The recently facelifted Altis has a much more pleasing interior yet selling at nearly $50k less than the soon-to-launch Prius which is set to be at around $200k. I too dropped by BM to view the Prius and felt other than just the good looks, the rest, especially the interior just not worth the money. There are other models within the Toyota umbrella offering better deals. The Prius just felt cheap really with the mostly hard plastic interior, 7-inch infotainment screen and steel rims with wheel cover. I won't be surprise it will be hard to sell for BM. Prius really is like spending so much more for less.

Borneo Motor accidentally took the taxi-spec Prius meant for ComfortDelgro put inside showroom is it? 🤣

In this day and age, surprised to hear there are still new cars with steel wheels and covers. 

• Haha! 2

On 2/15/2024 at 9:04 AM, Watwheels said:

https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/prius

The 2023/2024 engine spec

DOHC 16-valve 2.0-liter Atkinson-cycle inline-4, 150 hp, 139 lb-ft + 2 AC motors (combined output: 194 hp; 0.9-kWh lithium-ion battery pack)
Transmission: continuously variable automatic

https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/prius-2022

2022 engine spec

DOHC 16-valve Atkinson-cycle 1.8-liter inline-4, 96 hp, 105 lb-ft; front: permanent-magnet synchronous AC motor, 71 hp, 120 lb-ft; rear: induction AC motor, 7 hp, 40 lb-ft; combined output, 121 hp; 1.3-kWh nickel-metal-hydride battery pack

For the 2024 spec

One powertrain commands the Toyota Prius lineup. This is a 194-hp hybrid setup that uses a 2.0-liter hybrid inline-four gasoline engine borrowed from the Corolla Cross hybrid crossover and bolted to a continuously variable automatic transmission. Front-wheel drive is standard. For all-wheel-drive Priuses, Toyota adds a high-output permanent magnet electric motor to the rear axle, bumping total powertrain output to 196 horsepower. The launch to 60 mph, which took last year's Prius an exhausting 10.5 seconds to reach, now takes just 7.1 seconds according to our testing of a front-drive Limited model. That's quicker than both the Camry Hybrid and Elantra Hybrid.

I think only US model has a higher output rear electric motor? Dunno leh.

But it seems like the 2.0L has 2 AC motors while the old 1.8L has one. Battery pack is also updated to Li-ion from NiMH.

IMHO. AFAIK.
FWD = 1 motor.
AWD = 2 motor. 
AWD or FWD, there is actually one more motor, but is more like a generator. 

This is the 5th Gen Hybrid.  4th Gen or earlier, not sure how it works.  But the 5th Gen uses more powerful motor, which is why the acceleration is quicker.
The 5G 2.0L Prius will be about 1-2 car length faster than the 5G 2.0L Corolla Cross Hybrid. 
If the 5G 2.0L Prius uses the same Li-Ion battery as the 5G 2.0L Corolla Cross Hybrid,  it will be about 0.9 kWh. 🤣
Assuming 1kWh gives 4 miles,  minus off the 25% upper and lower tolerance,  EV mode will give about 1.8 miles ( about 2.9 km ) 🤣

Twincharged
On 2/15/2024 at 10:00 AM, Kklee said:

IMHO. AFAIK.
FWD = 1 motor.
AWD = 2 motor. 
AWD or FWD, there is actually one more motor, but is more like a generator. 

This is the 5th Gen Hybrid.  4th Gen or earlier, not sure how it works.  But the 5th Gen uses more powerful motor, which is why the acceleration is quicker.
The 5G 2.0L Prius will be about 1-2 car length faster than the 5G 2.0L Corolla Cross Hybrid. 
If the 5G 2.0L Prius uses the same Li-Ion battery as the 5G 2.0L Corolla Cross Hybrid,  it will be about 0.9 kWh. 🤣
Assuming 1kWh gives 4 miles,  minus off the 25% upper and lower tolerance,  EV mode will give about 1.8 miles ( about 2.9 km ) 🤣

Wonder why the 0-100 is slower? 7.7 vs 7.0. Weight about the same

On 2/15/2024 at 9:44 AM, Watwheels said:

Toyota's Dynamic Force Engine is either on Otto cycle or Atkinson cycle. The one on Otto cycle will have a higher HP and torque output. They dont really state the combustion cycle here. In the US they have a lot of variants on the DFE hence they will usually state if it is the one on Atkinson cycle cos this actually feels less powerful than the one on Otto cycle even though they have the same capacity eg. 2.0L

Their common features if I'm not wrong is that they both have the direct and port fuel injection.

For those who are not aware what is Otto cycle and Atkinson cycle in ICE. This is a simple explaination.

1) for Otto cycle to complete its combustion process the crankshaft will rotate about 2+ revolutions.

2) for Atkinson cycle to complete its combustion process the crankshaft will only make one revolution.

If you compare the two the Atkinson will be deem more efficient cos it completes its combustion cycle in one crankshaft revolution but downside is it will be down on power output.

Most ICE that is not from Toyota are mostly running on the Otto cycle.

For Toyota, just see the engine code loh

Look at the 7th character.  X = Atkinson.

M20A-FKS = Otto

M20A-FXS = Atkinson

On 2/15/2024 at 10:28 AM, Mkl22 said:

Wonder why the 0-100 is slower? 7.7 vs 7.0. Weight about the same

IMHO.
Not sure if the weight is the same.  Could also be how the engine is tuned.  The Corolla Cross Hybrid on paper, the FC is not really fantastic.  IIRC,  is 18.x km/L. 

On 2/15/2024 at 11:59 AM, mersaylee said:

So...what's the best Prius variant to have...regardless if it's available here 🤔

PHEV

• Praise 3

Supercharged

Even the Noah/Voxy (mid sized MPVs) are using the 1.8l hybrid engine.

The 1.8l combo is ok lah

Twincharged
On 2/15/2024 at 1:09 PM, mersaylee said:

The main reason or justification is? 

for short trips can go via EV, especially if you are on landed then you pay 30cents per KWh. if you forget to charge then petrol. going for long trips to malaysia would also not be an issue. plus you avoid paying that extra $700 tax for EV.

• Praise 3

On 2/15/2024 at 9:45 AM, Lethalstrike said:

Borneo Motor accidentally took the taxi-spec Prius meant for ComfortDelgro put inside showroom is it? 🤣

In this day and age, surprised to hear there are still new cars with steel wheels and covers. 

Not accidentally but is really and actually took the taxi model since comfort taxi tske supply from BM too. And since the taxi model was homologated at LTA, bringing in the same spec saves the trouble of homologation again. 

• Shocked 1

Supersonic
On 2/15/2024 at 11:59 AM, mersaylee said:

So...what's the best Prius variant to have...regardless if it's available here 🤔

Grab version w Tourador sticker is da best variant IMHO

• Haha! 3

On 2/15/2024 at 8:49 AM, Watwheels said:

In the news media they said what's stopping them is the lacking in charging infrastructure. It's not that they dont want to replace their entire fleet with EVs. It's now a "wait and see how" for the taxi companies. Same with many individual car buyers who want to switch to EV. LoL

All the more they should lead by example, isn't it. Haha...lol. Their pockets are pockets. Other pockets are not pockets ya. Lol...

Happen to catch Toyota's roadshow at Vivocity this week and the more I look and feel the new Prius, the more I felt this new model feels cheap with the hard plastic interior and our locally fitted hideous looking head unit. Overseas getting integrated unit, look at ours (the gap between the screen and the bezel). 

Previous Prius didn't look as good as this new one but it impressed me with good quality material just like the Altis. This new one the door closing sound sounds hollow too... And yeah it just has good looks, other than that, it's all a step back.

IMG_20240308_142801.jpg

IMG_20240308_142807.jpg

• Praise 3

Supersonic
On 3/8/2024 at 8:36 PM, Heartbreakid said:

Happen to catch Toyota's roadshow at Vivocity this week and the more I look and feel the new Prius, the more I felt this new model feels cheap with the hard plastic interior and our locally fitted hideous looking head unit. Overseas getting integrated unit, look at ours (the gap between the screen and the bezel). 

Previous Prius didn't look as good as this new one but it impressed me with good quality material just like the Altis. This new one the door closing sound sounds hollow too... And yeah it just has good looks, other than that, it's all a step back.

IMG_20240308_142801.jpg

IMG_20240308_142807.jpg

They probably last minit replaced the teksi meter w the HU....

• Haha! 3

Hypersonic

WT...macam they rip out old screen and attach a tablet to the old shell liddat...a save the planet recycle initiative? 😂

38036.jpg

IMG_20240308_142807.thumb.jpg.b8e897acc63fe8750595f9e5165f1d9e.jpg

• Haha! 1

6th Gear
On 3/8/2024 at 8:36 PM, Heartbreakid said:

IMG_20240308_142801.jpg

IMG_20240308_142807.jpg

IMHO.
I like the two cup holders up front - more practical for me. 

↡ Advertisement