Qatar World cup 2022

Beanoyip

Turbocharged
10 minutes ago, Karoon said:

Its 11pm, no game on...  what am I supposed to do FIFA??

when it eventually ends, u will surely be one of those experiencing the common World Cup withdrawal symptoms 😁 

• Haha! 1

This young spainsh squad should do well in next euro and wc...

Morrocan conceded only 1 goal in 4 games...sibeh solid defence...only let down by some poor finishing touches...

France Brazil final will be nice...

• Praise 2

6 minutes ago, Scion said:

when it eventually ends, u will surely be one of those experiencing the common World Cup withdrawal symptoms 😁 

Epl start right after WC😁

• Haha! 1

I still prefer England to win but knowing they will kaput somewhere along the way. Maybe runner-up at the best?

Brazil will certainly up tempo to win for their football ah gong.

• Praise 1

Just for discussion: 

Do you think Richarlison penalty against Korea should be given? My vote - No.

- He just jump in front of the Korea player

- He touch the ball but totally have no control of it

- the contact is minimal

- The ball is moving away from goal

And if the Qatar player was not given penalty against Senegal I don't understand why it is given to Brasil.

• Praise 2

22 hours ago, Yeshe said:

My feel for next round, Holland vs Brazil, Eng vs Port.

wah... a bit bold... Netherlands and Argentina had both seen better days. Netherlands is on the up again, after some years of oblivion, but i think they are still not at the top level... Argentina still boasts Messi, who showed that he still has it... but with otamendi still as first-choice CB... it's also not top level. Argentina might just pip it though...

England looks decent at the moment, but France is talented too, despite not having benzema, pogba, kante... reason why i feel France has a slight edge is cos looking at Maguire/Stones... that's where the weakness lies. Throw in Shaw, and these are players who haven't consistently started for their clubs... granted they maybe play well together, but haven't had any serious stress test yet...

• Praise 1

On 12/7/2022 at 10:32 AM, Karoon said:

I'm starting to see a few 6 footers in the Sg national age group teams. Same with regional teams. Size aside,it then depends on tactics, technique, mental and luck. But this is the big puzzle. I remember indonesia sent an entire youth team to italy to train for 2 years and came back to no results. King Power bought leicester city and tried to  export thailands best players, who are very good, but made no impact. And we thought China could replicate ping pong and gymnastics formula to football, picked and trained from young, but now we see even they use African born 'Chinese'.

Who'll be the first to solve this puzzle?? I think maybe, just maybe, Vietnam. 

indeed tough nut to crack. J-league and K-league started maybe 15-20 yr ago, and they had shown real progress in terms of the national teams' standards. CSL though is i heard never gonna fly...

never heard much of vietnam, but $$ is the one thing that will bring progress. do they have it?

12 hours ago, Scion said:

gone were the days when Spain's midfield was so good that even David Silva, Juan Mata and Thiago couldn't get starting positions....

yup... strikers also... now only has... morata

1 hour ago, Si4dr said:

Just for discussion: 

- the contact is minimal

And if the Qatar player was not given penalty against Senegal I don't understand why it is given to Brasil.

unfortunately there's inconsistency in refereeing (and VAR'ing) still...

not sure about the rules, but indeed Richarlison stole the ball first, and was in a better position to continue on to gain control, and as the striker (or person) that he is, will always make the most of any such contacts... and suay suay the korean chap was gonna kick the ball decently hard (i.e. not a mere tap), so there was (perceived) force. Coupled with the contact, the dramatic fall (and was there scream?), then on the spot it is going to be tempting to give the penalty... 

and if VAR didn't overrule, then it would go ahead lor... even korea didn't protest much...

more importantly, even if it wasn't given, i think brazil had too much for korea...

8 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

indeed tough nut to crack. J-league and K-league started maybe 15-20 yr ago, and they had shown real progress in terms of the national teams' standards. CSL though is i heard never gonna fly...

never heard much of vietnam, but $$ is the one thing that will bring progress. do they have it?

physique. SEAs are too short.

Koreans are tall (for asians), strong. Their speed/stamina is also on international level. Therefore they can consistently represent asia. Japs are the same but not as tall.

With the fandi brothers (and their mixed heritage), u can see they are so much taller and stronger compared to the pure locals. 

I once had one of our ex national captains as a patient. i was surprised how skinny he is. No power/strength like that lah. 

• Praise 1

5 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Koreans are tall (for asians), strong. Their speed/stamina is also on international level. Therefore they can consistently represent asia. Japs are the same but not as tall.

With the fandi brothers (and their mixed heritage), u can see they are so much taller and stronger compared to the pure locals. 

I once had one of our ex national captains as a patient. i was surprised how skinny he is. No power/strength like that lah. 

But its not all about physique also. body strength is important.
Smaller player need to know how to shield the ball, 

Modric is a good example. 1.72. 66 kg play in epl, laliga , wc.  Modern football rules plus var give much more advantage to smaller players compare to last time.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

Modric is a good example. 1.72. 66 kg play in epl, laliga , wc.  Modern football rules plus var give much more advantage to smaller players compare to last time.

No doubt. You can have 1-2 of them in the team. But speed/power/strength are a must lah. 
Technically very difficult here lah. Modric is like exceptional level talent.

For technical abilities, u see how the overseas kids train for any sport, the time they spent from young cannot compare. 4-5 days a week, few hours at a time. 
For us with our emphasis on studies, we don't see sports as a viable career, more of ECA. For them, it's different.
Just look at Tiger cup/SEA games football. Our neighbours are better dribblers and at carrying the ball 1v1, but we rely on set plays cos we are bigger and taller. But compared to angmohs, we are so small size.

Look at australia. For a population of <30million, can reach 2nd round. And soccer is an easily 4th tier sport in Australia. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

5 hours ago, Si4dr said:

Just for discussion: 

- the contact is minimal

It's the VAR referees fault.  😫

12 hours ago, Lala81 said:

are koreans really tall, for asians? actually i don't think any Asian is really/particularly tall. Ok, their stamina was mind-boggling, for anyone who watched WC2002. When other teams all shag out during extra time, and players start walking more, the koreans looked like they ran even faster during extra time...

i think it's their - korean and jap - determination to develop and improve the sports that plays a big role in their progress. Have to popularise the sports, set up schools, create a following in domestic league (which will generate $$), then expose the players to benchmark against regional/international peers. If they are good enough, playing in the bigger leagues definitely help. Plus this needs time... not months/years, but decades...

and yes, power and strength are important. Just imagine need to challenge for the ball against players like Sol Campbell - big, tall, fast... wah piang, jump and challenge headers that time if got direct contact, Asians sure fly at least 3m away, ha ha... 

12 hours ago, Beregond said:

yes lah, there are occasionally some small-sized players that are really talented. But rare lah...

imagine if you are manager of EPL team, then you field a team of:

GK: jorge campos
LB: roberto carlos
RB: Lamptey
CB: mescharano
CB: Lahm
CMF: kante
LMF: Maradona
RMF: Lallana
RW: Coutinho
LW: Messi
CF: Owen

Quite a decent team, right? But owen is tallest at 173 cm... will be interesting to see corners/free kicks or just high balls, what will happen... 🙂

• Haha! 1