'Town council rejected compensating me': Driver at loss after Volkswagen damaged by spalling concrete at Tekka Centre carpark

zipping

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/town-council-rejected-compensating-me-driver-loss-after-volkswagen-damaged-spalling

'Town council rejected compensating me': Driver at loss after Volkswagen damaged by spalling concrete at Tekka Centre carpark

July 26, 2022

published at 1:48 PMByOng Su Mann

image.png.44730dee6536acc0e12819e12ff1981e.png

A Volkswagen Golf was damaged by spalling concrete from the ceiling in the basement carpark of Tekka Centre.

Stomp

The owner of a Volkswagen Golf damaged by spalling concrete from the ceiling in the basement carpark of Tekka Centre wants to be compensated by the town council.

But the loss adjusters appointed by the liability insurer of Tanjong Pagar Town Council (TPTC) have found that the spalling concrete is due to natural wear and tear, and the town council is not liable for the incident.

More from AsiaOneRead the condensed version of this story, and other top stories with NewsLite.

Tekka Centre is at 665 Buffalo Road, which is part of Tanjong Pagar GRC.

According to the Ministry of National Development, spalling concrete is the flaking of concrete from the ceiling due to the corrosion of steel reinforcement bars in the concrete floor slab. The corrosion is caused by the ingress of moisture and acidic elements and can lead to cracking and bulging of the concrete cover over time. This is a natural wear and tear process and is generally a surface maintenance issue which can be mitigated through a regular painting of the ceiling.

All that is little comfort to Stomp contributor Omar, whose car was damaged in the Tekka Centre carpark on April 22.

Sharing photos of the incident with Stomp, he said: "Upon months of fighting with the town council, their loss adjusters had said this was caused by wear and tear.

"The town council has rejected compensating me or even giving me an apology.

"The cost of repairs quoted by my insurance was nearly up to $8,000. I have not repaired it as I seek justice.

"Many of my friends have asked me to take it to social media. but due to my work, I can't.

"They have simply told me to claim insurance, which I don't want to do because I have to face the 30 per cent no-claim discount deduction and premium rise. Why must I face the music due to their contractor's negligence? What if someone had walked there that day, would they also categorise it as wear and tear?

image.png.e6f1b31213ad66e84774d2c89e339f08.png

PHOTO: Stomp

"My MP, Mr Murali Pillai, had even talked to TPTC’s chairman Mr Melvin Yong on this matter, but still after months, the consultant replied back stating it's wear and tear, and TPTC is not to be blamed."

In the letter from FormTeam Consultancy dated June 15 shared with Stomp by Omar, the loss adjusters said: "As estate manager, TPTC has fulfilled its duty with due diligence on rectification upon activation while it is not reasonable to expect TPTC to arrest all wear and tear issues which developed over time.

"Therefore, while we empathise with your predicament, we must state that TPTC has not been negligent in any way under the circumstances, and hence are not legally liable for this incident.

Read Also

30 minutes to extricate trapped man: Motorcyclist crashes into rear windshield of taxi in Bukit Batok

"We, therefore, have our Principal’s instructions to repudiate all liability whatsoever and on behalf of whomsoever is concerned for this incident."

The Stomp contributor said that the carpark is currently under maintenance.

In response to a Stomp query, TPTC said: "Mr Omar contacted the town council in May regarding this matter.

"The town council then referred the case to our insurers and our insurers investigated and found that the town council was not legally liable for the damage and loss. 

"Mr Omar then requested for us to appeal to our insurers on his behalf. We appealed to our insurers and the insurers came back with the same finding that the town council is not liable.

"Mr Omar has since informed us that he will be seeking mediation with the public liability insurer under FIDReC (Financial Industry Disputes Resolution Centre) and has requested for the name of our insurer, which we have provided to him."

This article was first published in Stomp. Permission required for reproduction.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha! 2

Hypersonic

From the all powerful "Act of God", we now have "Wear and Tear" with equal standings

• Praise 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 8

Turbocharged

I just pity the MP. Not only have to help residents who are really in financial difficulty or some dire need, but also have to spend time helping these kinds of residents who can afford VW Golf [laugh] over a matter that can be easily settled with money well-within the resident's means.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic
1 minute ago, Sosaria said:

I just pity the MP. Not only have to help residents who are really in financial difficulty or some dire need, but also have to spend time helping these kinds of residents who can afford VW Golf [laugh] over a matter that can be easily settled with money well-within the resident's means.

Got money doesnt mean he wants to pay la, since the owner thinks not his fault at all. 😅

• Praise 8

17 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Got money doesnt mean he wants to pay la, since the owner thinks not his fault at all. 😅

Principle that matter. 

Unless at the entrance carpark a signage was put up claiming "owner park at their own risk". 

• Praise 2

Whats the damage? From the photo seems just some small flakes on the surface. Worst case some dents and paint scratches, don't look like need 8k to repair.

• Praise 3

38 minutes ago, Sosaria said:

VW Golf very expensive meh?

9 minutes ago, Columbian78 said:

Whats the damage? From the photo seems just some small flakes on the surface. Worst case some dents and paint scratches, don't look like need 8k to repair.

Classic insurance claim case. Even replacing an entire new bonnet plus painting it won’t be 8k.

Walk into a body shop with a damaged car and it’ll cost you $500 to fix it yourself but several times more if you’re claiming against someone else and likely to win.

Damage assessors, lawyers, workshops, all got to eat you know. Not to mention loss of use and courtesy cars!

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

(edited)

Frankly, wear n tear is still within the maintenance aspect (duty of care) of the Town Council. 

If no proper n timely maintenance, everything can deteriorate over time. Then ppl pay conservancy or tenants pay rental for what? Surely, maintenance can't be a separate charge right? 

If proper and periodic maintenance is done, that spalling concrete is not there overnight. That lot should have been blocked off till rectification works are done. 

Later due to social media will say out of goodwill will pay. Sorry ah, that disclaimer signage is not a cover all, especially if it's negligence or oversight on overdue maintenance works by the Town Council. If that concrete fell on someone and there's serious injuries? Too bad. Bad luck? 

Stay safe all. 

Cheers 

Edited by PSP415
  • Praise 12

Turbocharged
(edited)
42 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

VW Golf very expensive meh?

Can afford Conti car, assuming bought new, he can afford the repairs, no need claim own damage, no fear of losing NCD. I don't think it amounts to 8k, dent repairs and respray don't cost so much. Probably AD knock his head or some inflated claims 

As it is he can already afford the free time to doggedly pursue the most likely futile claim with TC, to the extent of involving his MP, shows he is a man of leisure [laugh] 

Anyway it does look like the mismatch between the claim amount and actual physical damage might be the unstated issue.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 1
  • Dislike 1
  • Haha! 2

Turbocharged
57 minutes ago, Columbian78 said:

Yah lor! Seems like can just go petrol station car wash $10 to wash off.

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Sosaria said:

By that logic, gahmen should pay immediateLee, since they got the most marney.

It's the principle also lah. Whose screw-up was it? Why should the car owner pay? If he rams into their structure and damages it, you think they'll let him off?

• Praise 10

Turbocharged
1 minute ago, Turboflat4 said:

By that logic, gahmen should pay immediateLee, since they got the most marney.

It's the principle also lah. Whose screw-up was it? Why should the car owner pay? If he rams into their structure and damages it, you think they'll let him off?

If he can claim it's due to natural wear-and-tear of his eyes and coordination which developed over time... maybe [laugh]

• Haha! 5

town council see its a car and therefore got car insurance so try to push to car insurance. 

while car parks typically have "park at your own risk" disclaimer, concrete spalling is not a usual occurrence here and is preventable, so I'd say TC is liable.

that being said, this guy also trying to pull a fast one by claiming $8k lah ...

so just :a-popcorn:

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

Turbocharged

wow this is something new

last time i worked in facility management

how i wish i could say it's wear and tear and it's not my dai ji 😁

this news come too late

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 5