Shopee To Reportedly Retrench Food Delivery & E-Payment Staff In Southeast Asia, Will Offer Support

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Shopee-To-Reportedly-Retrench-Food-Deliv

Source: https://mustsharenews.com/shopee-retrench-southeast-asia/

Shopee To Reportedly Retrench Staff In Southeast Asia To Optimise Operations

Throughout the pandemic, many tech firms have gone on hiring sprees with some companies even paying top dollar for talented individuals.

However, as the global economic situation becomes more uncertain, it seems some firms will be scaling back.

According to multiple reports, a memo from Shopee’s chief executive Chris Feng states that the company will be making “adjustments” to optimise its operations.

This comes just months after Shopee pulled out of the French and Indian markets earlier in March.

While it’s unclear how many staff members will be laid off and in which countries, Shopee has shared that they will do their “very best” to support the affected workers.

Shopee to retrench workers but provide support after

According to The Straits Times (ST), Mr Feng sent an internal memo on Monday (13 Jun) announcing that Shopee is laying off workers in its ShopeeFood and ShopeePay teams in Southeast Asia.

shopee-retrench-2-2.jpg

Teams in other countries like Chile, Argentina, and Mexico will also be affected, as will a cross-border team supporting the Spanish market. Mr Feng said,

"(Given) elevated uncertainty in the broader economy, we believe that it is prudent to make certain difficult but important adjustments to enhance our operational efficiency and focus our resources."

Although the retrenchments will come soon, Mr Feng reiterated that it will be business as usual.

The memo reportedly does not state which Southeast Asian countries the layoffs will affect.

ST notes that Shopee has outposts in Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, and the Philippines. Its regional headquarters are located in Singapore.

Since such a major restructure would undoubtedly impact many families, Mr Feng added that the company will do “the very best” they can to support the staff they let go.

MS News has reached out to Shopee for comments and will update the article when they get back.

Hopefully, retrenchment numbers are lower than anticipated

After going on a hiring spree during the pandemic, it looks like many tech companies are starting to cut jobs instead.

Hopefully, not too many Shopee employees will lose their jobs.

Additionally, we hope the affected workers will be able to get the necessary support and find new work in no time.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47nxk5cm91c0izqly9mv

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 3

Can see Shoppee and Lazada doing exceptionally well during the pandemic with great sale every month and hiring famous celebrities to advertise. 

But people are not biting into these "sale" anymore. With most countries opening up and the real effects of recession coming in, no doubt alot tech firms will cut down on headcount.

Also one thing about these talents with computer science knowledge to help company to transform is that once the company's system is set in place, they do not need these talents anymore. they may keep 1 or 2 for the future and the rest will be directed to the doors. 

• Praise 6
  • Shocked 1

Turbocharged
6 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Also one thing about these talents with computer science knowledge to help company to transform is that once the company's system is set in place, they do not need these talents anymore. they may keep 1 or 2 for the future and the rest will be directed to the doors. 

Ya man.. most time once such reports once developed just routine refresh and nothing much.. tune and tweaks most people can do..

I also scare i be replaced.. the younger are cheaper and faster.. sigh.. time to take PHV/Taxis license..

• Praise 1
  • Sad 2

Turbocharged

Seems to be a big churn happening in the job market. No fear. Some industries/sectors dying for lack of manpower. Just go for those mid-career skillsfuture training can switch to aviation or healthcare, 2 sectors that desperately need manpower now.

• Haha! 2

make sense.... the way they are delivering their stuffs totally make no economic sense. I bought a couple of those flash items that were on sale for 10cents... example those polishing cloth... u would expect the shipping to be expensive since these were sent out from zhu guo... but its foc and best of all, delivered to doorstep. Even stuffs like 10 cent screen protector and facial masks... all delivered to doorstep. Then u can knock off 7 cents from the reviews... net net u pay 3 cents for items ?!@!?!

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Stratovarius said:

You hit the nail on the head here.

I know a "best practice" for the IT industry is to make your code well-commented, well-documented, well-structured, and hence easily understandable and maintainable by all.

Sure. Whatever.

That's a surefire way to get your job made redundant, possibly farmed out to the 4-letter acronym of which I shall not speak.

Hell, nah, kids, make your code as ridiculously obscure as possible. Preserve your job security, and if the company axes you anyway, they *will* be punished for it as they have to rebuild the codebase.

I mean, look at COBOL - there are *still* jokers being hotly sought after for that legacy piece of shit simply because large organisations that still creak on have been built on that old fossil. It's a horrible language with horrible coding syntax and features, and yet human fossils retain their marketability based off it.

Slightly tangentially, this is my absolute favourite example of obscure programming. I might have written this, except I would've commented it even more obscurely. 😁

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 5

22 minutes ago, Estrangable said:

make sense.... the way they are delivering their stuffs totally make no economic sense. I bought a couple of those flash items that were on sale for 10cents... example those polishing cloth... u would expect the shipping to be expensive since these were sent out from zhu guo... but its foc and best of all, delivered to doorstep. Even stuffs like 10 cent screen protector and facial masks... all delivered to doorstep. Then u can knock off 7 cents from the reviews... net net u pay 3 cents for items ?!@!?!

The era of cheap money, whereby valuation is based on revenue and not profit, has come to an end. 

Cryto and simi NFT, lagi jialat.

Waiting for $1 COE. 😂

• Haha! 3

Spending moved from online shopping/food delivery to travels and dining out.  My shopping on Shopee dropped from thousands/hundreds to tens/single digits.  No surprises.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

Even giving tuition retirement plans are under threat as in future, high-stakes high-stress exam like 'O' level will be phased out in favour of more through-train type of programs. Instead of national exams, the students will go through foundation courses in the receiving institution.

Express and IP can through-train to JC which is the Uni path. Normal, Express and ITE can through-train to Poly.

"Streaming" by another name. But there'll probably be less need for tuition.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged

Many such tech companies are operating on investment funding. If the recession is coming and the sponsors are preparing for it, these recipients of such funds will get hit.

Not surprising Grab to be the next.

• Praise 2

So many problems, so much stress.

Any good looking young lady tio pok at Sloppys

can come to jamesc massage paradise and get a discount.

:D

Instead of advertising with celebrities

I will just rub extra for you.

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

You hit the nail on the head here.

I know a "best practice" for the IT industry is to make your code well-commented, well-documented, well-structured, and hence easily understandable and maintainable by all.

Sure. Whatever.

That's a surefire way to get your job made redundant, possibly farmed out to the 4-letter acronym of which I shall not speak.

Hell, nah, kids, make your code as ridiculously obscure as possible. Preserve your job security, and if the company axes you anyway, they *will* be punished for it as they have to rebuild the codebase.

I mean, look at COBOL - there are *still* jokers being hotly sought after for that legacy piece of shit simply because large organisations that still creak on have been built on that old fossil. It's a horrible language with horrible coding syntax and features, and yet human fossils retain their marketability based off it.

Slightly tangentially, this is my absolute favourite example of obscure programming. I might have written this, except I would've commented it even more obscurely. 😁

actually without comments and documentation, even my own code i will take quite some time to read through after a few years if there were no constant change to it. dun talk about badly documented ones.

anyway if dun wan pple to understand, just run it through obfuscator. after that, even you would not want to debug ur own code.

• Haha! 5

(edited)
33 minutes ago, Etnt said:

actually without comments and documentation, even my own code i will take quite some time to read through after a few years if there were no constant change to it. dun talk about badly documented ones.

anyway if dun wan pple to understand, just run it through obfuscator. after that, even you would not want to debug ur own code.

The trick is to keep your perfectly commented code in your own private stash then run it through obfuscator before uploading to your company codebase or Github repository.

Disclaimer: I've never used purposeful obfuscation myself, but I'm just a dilettante and enthusiast. My code is already weird enough as it is.  😁

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Haha! 3

Supercharged
(edited)
5 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

Can see Shoppee and Lazada doing exceptionally well during the pandemic with great sale every month and hiring famous celebrities to advertise. 

But people are not biting into these "sale" anymore. With most countries opening up and the real effects of recession coming in, no doubt alot tech firms will cut down on headcount.

I have tried to buy during those sale period, but their interface is so confusing that I have no idea where are the sale or how to claim it.  Dunno claim what coupon la, then every hour different coupon or dunno what stuff.

Why can't they just apply an automatic  X% discount to every checkout during the sale period? Make it easy la......

All these e-comm stores seriously need to apply Design Thinking into their UX/UI design to make that customer journey easy and pleasant.

Edited by Starry
↡ Advertisement