3 S'porean men allegedly detained for 7 days in Johor as passports had no record of them entering M'sia

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

detained-singaporeans-johor.jpg

Source: https://mothership.sg/2022/05/singaporean-men-detained-johor-passports/

Three Singaporean men were allegedly detained for seven days in Johor and fined RM3,000 (S$942) each after their passports were found to be missing records of their entries into Malaysia, Shin Min Daily News (SMDN) reported.

Events

World Vision Charity Movie Screening: Catch an award-winning film with your BFF

25 June 2022

Golden Village VivoCity

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/mothershipsg

Three Singaporean men were allegedly detained for seven days in Johor and fined RM3,000 (S$942) each after their passports were found to be missing records of their entries into Malaysia, Shin Min Daily News (SMDN) reported.

The father of one of the men, who declined to reveal his name, told SMDN that his son, together with four friends, had driven into Johor Bahru via Woodlands Checkpoint at around 11am on May 7.

The group of men, whose ages range from 25 to 27,  then toured around Johor and Kuala Lumpur for approximately five days.

At the end of their trip, one of the men decided to fly back to Singapore from Kuala Lumpur International Airport, while the other four men proceeded to drive back to Singapore from Johor Bahru.

While the former had no problem getting through immigration, the same could not be said for the other four men, who encountered a snag at the Johor checkpoint.

Detained and handcuffed

According to the father, when they tried driving back to Singapore at around 4pm on May 11, they were stopped by an officer at the customs booth, who pointed out that their passports had no record of them entering Malaysia as they were not stamped.

The father received a call then from his son, who was shocked at the turn of events, and was desperately trying to get help.

The father immediately called the Singapore Consulate-General in Johor Bahru for assistance, and was finally able to see his son two days later on May 13.

He mentioned that he was sad to see his son in handcuffs when they met.

Had not checked passports to see if they were stamped

The father told SMDN that one of the four men was a Malaysian, and so he was allowed to go back to his home in Johor Bahru before coming back to the checkpoint to record a statement on May 16.

His son, along with the other two men, who were Singapore permanent residents, were then detained for seven days and fined RM3,000 (S$942) each.

They were eventually released on May 17.

The father produced a ticket received by his son, which indicated that he was detained for illegal immigration under Section 6(1)(c) of the Malaysian Immigration Act 1959/63.

The son told SMDN that they had tried explaining matters to the customs officer, but to no avail.

"When we entered Johor through the checkpoint and got our passports back from the officer, we did not check to see if they were stamped," he said.

Previously, a Singaporean family of six claimed they were asked for "kopi money" after they were accused of "illegal immigration" for their passports were not stamped by the customs officer.

In response, Johor Chief Minister Onn Hafiz Ghazi said he will "get the necessary authorities to investigate" the matter.

Stop awhile, create a bit of jam just to check ur passport is fine. Cannot rush at the custom, if not you will jam for 7 days.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged
(edited)

Nothing new la. Only stupid complacent people are too lazy to bother to check. How difficult is it? 
Majority of singaporeans are too sheltered. Always assume that govt officials will do the right thing. It’s a zoo out in the real world. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 11

Turbocharged

Several years ago an a friend got similar encounter.

He was newbie driving across the causeway in Johor; he just drove straight through an unattended booth. When coming back time and the Malaysia custom called him into office and in the end have to pay several hundred RM to settle the issue. ://

• Haha! 3

8 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Nothing new la. Only stupid complacent people are too lazy to bother to check. How difficult is it? 
Majority of singaporeans are too sheltered. Always assume that govt officials will do the right thing. It’s a zoo out in the real world. 

I tink they drove into a zoo or a safari...it's a wild jungle out there in the real world 😁

• Haha! 4

8 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

He was newbie driving across the causeway in Johor; he just drove straight through an unattended booth. When coming back time and the Malaysia custom called him into office and in the end have to pay several hundred RM to settle the issue. ://

If the problem can be settled with money then it's not a problem... 😀

• Haha! 3

5 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Once I followed a few bolehland registered cars to an unattended booth...those fellows just drove off without stopping...limpeh followed suit...upon receiving advice from our side...made a trip back the following day and got all passports stamped at JB side...not without a warning though 😅

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged
4 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Thats why always told my passengers to check the stamp and date after clear immigration

Then got some auntie and uncles will say no need one la. Sure stamp. 
I will LMAO, when they get detained! 

• Haha! 4

Internal Moderator
11 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

he is lucky lah. If money can solve the problem, it is not a problem! :a-m1212:

• Haha! 2

not the first time and not gonna be the last time....sigh..

when driving in, I always try to listen to the number of chop stamping sound and make sure my passenger check for the chop before moving far.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

Twincharged
11 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Pay fine is official and got receipt. Settle is pay for super expensive “kopi”! 
right? 😂

• Haha! 2

Turbocharged
18 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Maybe because of this?

The group of men, whose ages range from 25 to 27,  then toured around Johor and Kuala Lumpur for approximately five days.

His son, along with the other two men, who were Singapore permanent residents, were then detained for seven days and fined RM3,000 (S$942) each.

Not enough XP, must level up some more :grin:

• Haha! 1

19 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

rushing for "ahem" appointment, boh eng check passport ... [sly]

• Haha! 2

4 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Once I followed a few bolehland registered cars to an unattended booth...those fellows just drove off without stopping...limpeh followed suit...upon receiving advice from our side...made a trip back the following day and got all passports stamped at JB side...not without a warning though 😅

I don't know whether now is still the case, malaysians used to be no need to check passport, just show show can liao, when returning to malaysia...

On top of checking the stamp also must check the date and and shape of the stamp. Experienced once with wrong date(. Gor it amended on the spot with countersign and stamp.

Don't make assumption when dealing with immigration be it Malaysia or otherwise. 

• Praise 5

2 minutes ago, Ahwhye said:

I don't know whether now is still the case, malaysians used to be no need to check passport, just show show can liao, when returning to malaysia...

My incident was woodland bound...i tink those fellows orediprepared kopi dollah as stamps on their return...😁

Twincharged

if need to pay kopi $$, i rather pay it for speeding... at least shiok shiok and go fast. pay kopi for no stamp in passport is dumb.

• Haha! 4

Just now, Kopites said:

On top of checking the stamp also must check the date and and shape of the stamp. Experienced once with wrong date(. Gor it amended on the spot with countersign and stamp.

Don't make assumption when dealing with immigration be it Malaysia or otherwise. 

This happens to MY fren long time ago.

The person arrived at Changi Airport.  Subsequently, exit at the causeway.

At Changi Airport, custom stamped a later date (i.e.tomorrow). 

While on the way to the causeway, it was noted that the date was wrong.

Quickly u-turn back to Changi Airport.

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2